· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Are there any benefits to having two hoods vs one with an aquarium tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a bare bones 55 gallon aquarium tank on a special sale they were having for $57. I've got a aquaclear filter that's fit for tanks up to 30 gallon and a eheim 2217 filter that I just installed about 3-4 days ago.

I've been trying to find a good deal on a hood for my tanks and was advised by my LFS that 2 hoods is also an option for me. Would someone be able to tell me if there are any benefits to getting 2 hoods instead of 1 hood? My tank does have the bar in the middle (don't remember what it's called)

Here is the one I am looking at:
    http://www.petco.com/product/112178/...amilyCrossSell

Either get two of the 24inches or just one 48 inch hood. Also, is that a good deal for a hood or should I buy it elsewhere? Lastly, would that be a good hood to get? I don't want to buy over the top, but do enjoy getting the best quality items for the best price possible :-).

Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    No big difference really.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    It depends on what you like visually and the particular light bulb options you'd like to have. A single 48" bulb doesn't usually cost as much as two 24" bulbs, so it's a little more economical to have a single long hood. It's also a little more energy efficient (one longer bulb).

2 Not allowed!
    I agree. If you might go with live plants...and with very few exceptions this is always beneficial...a light fixture taking 48-inch tubes will always be more economical and effective, whether single or double tubes (depending upon the type).

Another issue with two hoods is that they mioght not actually fit together. They are after all made for specific sized tanks, and sit on the frame/frame lip. Not saying it isn't possible to fix this, but for the money the single cover glass and light is probably less expensive and again more effective.

On my 4-foot and larger tanks, I use one of those glass cover sets. These are quite inexpensive, and sit down on the frame lip. Then you can buy whichever light fixture you decide on, and this sits across the tank on the actual frame. Works very well, and it is easier to get in the tank during water changes, etc.

Byron.

4 Not allowed!
    If you are planning on a planted tank now or in the future, I recommend getting glass tops. With the standard hoods you are limited to whatever stock lighting they come with.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

3 Not allowed!
    Agree with the glass cover suggestions, it also allows you to move the light "forward" or "back" on the tank top so it's over your plants or you can pull it forward when you have company over to best show off the fish colors!
    (Fish colors generally show best with light reflected from the front of the tank)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that is what I do too!
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

1 Not allowed!
    Also I would go with the glass. Those would come in two pieces, one from each site. You can also get the glass versa-hood that leaves more room on the back panel for the lights. The back panel is just wider than the front.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys. I've decided to go with the glass top then. Any place recommended to get a good deal on them? I don't have a problem waiting as my fish seem to be doing fine without a cover for now :-).

0 Not allowed!
    Petsmart used to carry them for a reasonable price. I haven't been there in a long time so I'm not sure if they still do. The same size that fits a 20g long will fit a standard 55g, but you will need two of course.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1