· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Pirhana Tank size?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi i'm new here. Just wondering if it's possible to temporarily house three red-belly pirhanas (each being about 0.75 inches) in a 16 gallon bowfront? Thanks

2 Not allowed!
    While I'm no expert on these fish, I'm wondering how "temporary" this tank would be - are you aware that they are happier in a larger group?

If you haven't purchased them yet, I'd recommend finding out the correct tank they'd need at full size and put them in that instead. It can be dangerous putting fish into a smaller tank and then the "temporary" becomes longer than you expected.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

2 Not allowed!
    If we are talking a week, sure, a month, no... And you need to think about 10 in a 180gal or more at the end of that road.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    As a quarantine tank it would be possible.

Long term accomodations... I wouldn;t want to do this in anything smaller than a 5ft. It's not a terribly active species but they do need a group and some swimming space. Good filtration too!

Another comment, which I sincerely hope is not needed in this case, some teen boys buy these fish because they want a feeding frenzy, they want to feed live fish and small rodents and see them getting torn up. Anyone wants that may well be better off getting a big cichlid like a JD.

0 Not allowed!
    funny thing is, they really don't feed like everyone thinks, only under extreme conditions do they "frenzy" anything alive

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to want to keep these fish for about 1.5 years. Once they reach 4", I will most likely upgrade to a 55 gallon. Once they reach 8 to 9" in there, I'll give them to my LFS, who will happily take them into their 160 gallon display tank. I have multiple FS in the area who will take pirhanas of that size. The reason I want these is that I like how they look, not for a feeding frenzy.

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymousfish View Post
    The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to want to keep these fish for about 1.5 years. Once they reach 4", I will most likely upgrade to a 55 gallon. Once they reach 8 to 9" in there, I'll give them to my LFS, who will happily take them into their 160 gallon display tank. I have multiple FS in the area who will take pirhanas of that size. The reason I want these is that I like how they look, not for a feeding frenzy.
    I believe you will find most of us here do not condone this, and simply because it is not fair to the fish.

Fish grow all their lives, and they need sufficient space to do so. Given the behaviours of this species, they need lots of room to develop properly, both physically and mentally. Denying them this is not right because the damage that will be done, which is unseen externally, will be with them forever and cause problems down the road and almost inevitably a premature death.

I have a maxim that I have followed now for several years, and it is a good one. Never acquire a fish for which you do not today have an aquarium of sufficient size and that is properly aquascaped for the fish at maturity. This includes having a good sized group which is essential for the species from the beginning.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

1 Not allowed!
    +1 - so many people intend to "upgrade" their tank - it might never happen - but the fish keep growing.

A responsible person purchases the proper tank size for fully grown fish...or you get the 55 gallon NOW and put appropriate fish into that will be able to stay in it fully grown.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    Honestly the fish in question at this size should be housed in a 55gal to start. They are semi-constant swimmers and schooling fish. To house them appropriately you need a 55gal until they are around 2-3in and then it serves them best to upgrade to a 6ft minimum tank.

Additionally these fish require heavy filtration and a substantial diet. A friend of mine fed hers catfish filet's. This can become very pricey in the long term.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's