· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @ Fishmommie, Slaphppy7, Aeonflame - As said this is my first tank, I am new into this hobby and i just love my fishes and turtles.. As said my lfs told me that this tank is really big and can accommodate all of my fishes and turtles easily..

Until i did research i got to know that my tank is largely overstocked, That's the reason i am getting a big 300 gallon tank for them. I am very much attached to my fishes in last 6 months and with grace of god i have not lost a single fish since then..

Now i do 50% water change twice a week and i have also decided to return my pair of Pacu.. Regarding turtles i have a turtle bank installed in the tank above the water level slightly submerged in the water that is not visible in the video and both my turtles sit on the turtle bank and bask in the aquarium lights.

I am also arranging to get a water testing kit.. but i am badly attached to my fishes and cant give them back...only except my 2 Pacu's as they are getting big..

And yes I did a 60% water change and my Oscar is eating well now and is active.

Thanks to all
    Bhupesh

0 Not allowed!
    I appriciate the fact that you are trying to imrpove the situation and I hope your 300 gallon will arrive soon. In the mean time I have some more bad news for you.

The aquarium light is not suitable for the turtle to bask in. They need UW light which the aquarium light do not provided. It would be possible to add a UW light over the spot pr you can take them outside to let them catch some sun a couple of time a week.

You live in new dehli. Do you have a garden. If you do you could perhaps move the turtles to a garden pond. Turtles really are not suited to be kept in aquariums with fish (that are not meant as food)
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the information William! :)

I got an update from the importer that my 300 gallon tank will arrive within 20 days...

I routinely take out the turtles twice a week and keep them in sun for about an hour and let them play on my terrace garden..

I'll will add a UV light in the aquarium, above the turtle bank, so they can bask..

Yes, I am in New Delhi and I do have a terrace garden but no pond... But I'll try to arrange something for them...

Thank you
    Bhupesh

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    @ William, Kingfisher, imma24, Fishmommie, Slaphppy7, Aeonflame...Hi All, For all those who knows about me and about my Tank, Just an Update that i have got my 300 gallons tank and I'll start setting it up this weekend..

And today with a very heavy heart i finally decided and returned my pair of Pacu's to the LFS from where i bought it..And i am not feeling good about it and missing them a lot.. I hope and pray to God that get a loving owner and a big suitable tank for them.

Thanks
    Bhupesh

0 Not allowed!
    This is why it is so important to know tank size requirements for any fish before purchasing them - we do get attached to fish and it can be very difficult to hear that they need to be re-homed or returned because we didn't know how large they could get.

Also, people buy fish with the intention of upgrading their tank size - sometimes that doesn't happen - lack of funds, space, etc. If someone wants a larger tank in the future and has the space, it's best to just start off with that size.

Many people go through this with goldfish - starting them off in a 10 gal tank and hearing they need a pond because they'll grow to a foot.

Good luck getting your new tank ready!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with you imma24... Lesson learnt...!

Many thanks....
    Bhupesh

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I understand that you are sad but you did a good thing. I think you can rest assured that whoever spends what I assume is a lot of money to purchase the pacus will take good care of them.
    Good luck with your new tank and your fish.
    How is the oscar doing?
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    This story was on my local news last night. They think someone released the pacu in the lake because it got too big for their aquarium. The video was very informative.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/11/...ago-area-lake/

That poor fish never had a chance in the cold water of the lake. Returning your pacu was the right and humane thing to do.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 11-05-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    This is a great thing to read because it shows just how large those fish can get!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    This is a great thing to read because it shows just how large those fish can get!
    I agree. This fish (at 7 lbs) makes an Oscar look small! When I saw the lead-in for the story I assumed it was a strange lake fish - it never even occurred to me it could be tropical!!!
    Last edited by gronlaura; 11-05-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"