· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Oscar Not Eating.... Please Help..!!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Everyone..!

Those who know "as per my previous thread - I said that Oscar started eating but actually she ate just for that 1 day"..

I presently have a 80 gallons tank i.e. 300 liter (5 x 1.5 x 2 feet).. I have 2 Oscars, 5 Parrots, 4 Electric yellow chiclids, 1Pacu, 1 blue dolphin and 1 jewel chichlid and 4 tinfoil barbs..

Its being about 2 weeks, one of my Oscar is not eating.. He acts lethargic than the other Oscar, but still he swims...No fighting sings at all, No fin rot nothing on his body.. Still not eating.. Note: I have noticed that he swims when the light is off, the moment i turn on the light she just sits under a plant and don't swim.

Out of the whole 2 weeks, he just ate once.. All other fishes are happy and active... it's only with this Oscar.. I tried doing 50% water change, I do 15-20% weekly water change.. I siphon the gravels on every alternate water change, I wash the filter with tank water once a month (1 sponge at a time). I tried Methylene blue with a water change a week before..

Also I have installed the heater.. water temp is 30 degree C.

Please Note - I know tank is small for these many fishes but I have already ordered and am waiting for a 300 gallon tank.. till then i need to wait... No options..

Please advise what to do......

Thanks in advance...
    Bhupesh

2 Not allowed!
    Do you have a test kit? I would imagine that nitrates are building up to dangerous levels with that many fish in your tank. You should be doing much larger and/or more frequent waterchanges with that stock. Try doing 50% twice weekly.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No I don't have a test kit yet.. Its not easily available here in New Delhi and whosoever sells it, they sell it on a very high price.. Its like a monopoly for them..

I will try doing 50 % water change weekly.. But just to know if it's nitrates building why its not effecting other fishes(all r happy and energetic)... and it's been like 6 months i have been following the same schedule.. ?

Please advise...

Thanks
    Bhupesh

1 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't wait until poor water parameters DO affect your other fish - doesn't it make sense to keep your tank in the best possible shape until you can get a kit?

I mean, the tank is already stocked too much and you are waiting for a larger one, but until then, it's best for your fish to provide them with more fresh water each time you change it - they'll like that.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    You have another thread going about this tank which many people have advised you on - the biggest issue being your mix of stock which is totally improper. As has been said, you've mixed south american cichlids with african cichlids and the pacus simply cannot live in that tank. I am aware that you have another tank coming but in the mean time my best guess, if it's not a water quality problem, is that the oscar is stressed and is not eating because of it. those fish simply don't mix and stress will only get worse until you get them in proper tanks. sorry.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @fishmommie - I understand what you are saying and keeping this in mind i actually asked my lfs to take back the African chiclids but he is not taking them back, so i have no other option but to keep those...

Until I get my bigger tank, I'll do frequent water changes to keep my fishes healthy..

Please see the video of my tank here -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...36889726497051

Thanks
    Bhupesh

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Did I also see a turtle in that tank? Oh dear....
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    I can't see the video.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass 
    Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 
    For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Did I also see a turtle in that tank? Oh dear....
    You may have seen one, I saw TWO....Oh dear, indeed
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    That tank is massively overstocked. The turtles do not belong in there. They produce a lot of waste and I do not even see a place for them to leave the water.

You have been given a lot of helpful and accurate advice about this tank and until you decide to follow it, there is nothing more we can do. The answers are not going to change.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff