· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Exclamation Algae issue? Help

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, this is my first post here on Aquatic Community!

I recently upgraded to a 55 gallon planted tank about a month ago with a 48" Aquatic Life T5 HO fixture (110 watts in total I believe). The lamp has worked great and my plants have been growing like crazy, however, I also recently ran into an algae problem and not sure how to handle it.

I apologize for the poor quality pictures, I tried to point out my concern in each picture:

http://imgur.com/a/WYaAm

The driftwood has this light green algae growing on it and a bit underneath the java moss, the water sprite has a brownish precipitate on its leaves, and theres a little patch of this green algae in one spot of my tank.

I'm not sure whats causing this or how to deal with it, but I regularly use Flourish Excel and Micro nutrients. Have a C-360 and sponge filter going as well. I've leave the lights on from usually 9am-9pm everyday, which may be too much light?

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 Not allowed!
    Algae issues are almost always caused by a imbalance between light and nutrients.

I would suggest to start by cutting back a bit on lighting. 12 hours is very long, even more so when you have a good lighting like you do. I would try cutting back the lighting to 8 hours for a week or two and see how much of difference this makes. This should not harm your pants

Does this green algae wipe of very easily, almost in small chunks ?
    Last edited by Cliff; 04-06-2014 at 10:33 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum. I'll second Cliff here and say that your light might be the problem. I run mine about 6 hours and this seems to keep the algae at bay. It isn't all gone, but it isn't spreading either and I don't mind what I have already. One thing I think Cliff is eluding to in his final question is proper identification of the type of algae will help you understand how to combat it. Let us know what characteristics this algae has and we can help tailor a defense.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Does this green algae wipe of very easily, almost in small chunks ?
    Yeah! I actually just tried wiping it off and it comes off extremely easily. I can literally scrape it all off with just my nail.

I'll reduce the lighting for sure!

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks
    Last edited by Brovost; 04-07-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Awards Showcase

Have another tetras for the new tank - steeler58 Have another tetra, you need more fish anyway :) - steeler58 Good advice on the Flame tetra, I can't rep you any more, so have a "cherry barb" - steeler58 Now you have 15! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Have a Cory!! - steeler58 Good Luck - pRED Sorry about the betta - Slaphppy7 to your next Betta - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Chin-up - Cliff sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    That sounds like it might be cyanobacteria. Does it spread really fast? You clean it and in just a few days it's right back where it was? I've had this issue in my tank. That stuff is tough to get rid of. Just keep your lights off longer, keep up with your water changes to keep nitrates down and clean that stuff off religiously. If you see it, remove it. Doesn't take long for it to get out of control. Hopefully you'll overwhelm it and it'll go away.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

1 Not allowed!
    Cyano rubs off really easily and you can syphon it away. It's not a traditional algae as such. If it is indeed this it will look slightly blueish green when you get it out. For that I'd say:
    1. syphon away what you can
    2. Feed the fish a decent meal
    3. Tape some binbags or something all over the tank so no light gets in
    4. Switch off the lights and keep them off for 72 hours
    5. Syphon away what you see in dead algae and do a big water change.

As to algae in general... if you can afford it get a nitrate and a sensitive phosphate kit and start weekly measures. Get some dry salts, k2po4 and KNO3 and distilled water. Mix a solution so that 1ml of kno3 solution raises your level by 1 ppm and for k2po4 so that 1ml raises the level 0.1ppm Try to balance the tank so you always have a nitrate phosphate ration of 10:1 and not get your nitrates over 20ppm.
    More reading and a calculator here: http://buddendo.home.xs4all.nl/aquar...dfield_eng.htm