· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Yes another stocking question!

0 Not allowed!
    Howdy All! been a while since my last post. I am thinking about consolidating my aquariums to just one. I have a 55 and a 72 bowfront.

In the 72 I currently have 2 Angels, 3 Zebra, 3 cardinal tetras, and 3 Ottos. In the 55 I currently have 5 serpae tetras, 6 black skirt tetras, 3 ottos, and 5 red eye tetras. Does anyone see any issues with moving the stock from the 55 to the 72?

The tank parameters are identical, same substrates, same plant types etc. In fact I will be moving the plants there as well. Thoughts ...concerns??

Thanks
    Last edited by mrramsey; 10-23-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

2 Not allowed!
    Yes, there are real risks, and I would not combine these fish.

Serpae Tetra are known fin nippers, especially in small numbers (8 is recommended as minimum, some suggest 12+) and even more especially when temptation is so strong (the angelfish with their long fins and slow, sedate manner). This is really asking for trouble.

Along the same lines, though perhaps not as strong, are the Black Skirt Tetra. Again, increasing the numbers can help. But here too, when combined with angelfish it is really risky.

And still with the same problems but perhaps a bit less, is the Beacon or Red Eye Tetra. These are also quite active swimmers, and this can unsettle angelfish too.

The otos are fine, so its not all bad news.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So the Angels are the real issue... I might just have to look at re-homing them.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Any of those three species could bully any of the existing stock in the 72g, as Byron pointed out, besides the Angel. You should also increase the size of your Danio and Cardinal schools if somebody had not suggested this already.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    I'll add that the otos may be at risk, depending on their size and the size of the angelfish. I have a tank of angels and whiteclouds, no problem with coexistence (other than I have to watch the temp carefully). I have another tank with larger-bodied angels but no white clouds - there were white clouds in there, once...

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    Any of those three species could bully any of the existing stock in the 72g, as Byron pointed out, besides the Angel. You should also increase the size of your Danio and Cardinal schools if somebody had not suggested this already.
    True but the danios were in the 55 originally. I am not going down the Cardinal road again. The 72 was initially going to be only for a Cardinals. Started with 30 and well there are 3 left.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, now I remember your trials with the Cardinal's!
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes that was a painful one. At least I didn't pay full price for them and they actually refunded most of the cost to me. I have found myself to be quite busy these days and maintaining both tank is becoming a chore which is why I am considering the consolidation. I think the fish will be ok in the 72 as long as the angels are gone. There are lots of plants and hiding spots for everyone.
    Mike
    120g Reef Journal

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Like Byron suggested; just increase your Serpae school a few and everything should be fine, especialy if your moving the Angels.
    -Vince Lombardi