· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default what do people usually do with all the babies that spawn?

0 Not allowed!
    in a lot of cases the fish spawn multiple times and sometimes can have hundreds of babies each time they breed
    what do most people do with all these fish?

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

2 Not allowed!
    Folks either manage their tank not to have spawns - why have breeding pairs if you have no where for the fry, or they grow out and sell the fry, or they give the fry to their LFS to sell as feeders, or they stock a fish that will eat fry. Lots of options.

0 Not allowed!
    Fish lay hundreds of eggs, but that is a response to high mortality. In many tanks, there simply is no environmental cue to spawn. When spawning does occur, the eggs and young may fungus, die of genetic abnormalities and mostly be eaten by other fish or their own parents.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guess I just meant people who try to get their fish to spawn but the first post kinda answered that.
    I didn't know fish stores would buy from their customers. I guess I thought they just got them from fish farms or maybe you needed a license or something like that to sell them, Im asking because I plan on getting another blue ram in the future and If it happens to spawn with my gold I wouldn't know what to do with all those fish. and I couldn't want to kill them myself ...
    this is ofc IF they survived and made it to young adults, if the parents or other fish eat them I guess I wouldn't have to worry about it like you said
    one more thing
    is it usually local fish stores that buy them or places like petco/petsmart also buy them? I'm guessing it also depends on the fish species too?

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Dunno I've never dealt with petsmart/co. My fish store buys from local breeders, and from out of country.
    Species does matter - they won't buy guppy fry except as feeders, and I don't even know if they pay for those or not. African fry may be harder to sell as they are so common, most people sell privately.
    Ram fry would be bought - but again, they don't buy fry - you would have to grow out the fry til they were of an age to be marketable. So you would still need a grow out tank.
    Best option for you likely is to stock a fish that eats fry. Depending on your size of tank, its not generally hard to find a fish that will eat smaller fish...

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I see I see
    I think getting another fish to eat them will be my last option, seems brutal..
    anyways thanks for the help!

1 Not allowed!
    I can only speak to my local big-box stores based on info from others that work there. Our regional Petcos have a policy of "adopting" any fish someone brings in. Note, that's NOT buying or trading you anything for them, just taking them. Our local PetSmart doesn't take them.

Best live food for a fish (for many species)? Another fish. That's nature - it's not pretty, but it is what it is. Circle of life kind of thing!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Some of the other places people sell fish..., craigslist and aquabid.

Generally though the higher end bred (ie, specific gene lines) go toward aquabid.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKRST View Post
    Best live food for a fish (for many species)? Another fish. That's nature - it's not pretty, but it is what it is. Circle of life kind of thing!
    There are plenty of people here on this forum who breed fish just to feed bigger fish who appreciate live food.

Just like there are snails you can buy that eat other snails. Population control is important depending upon how much space you have in a tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well I understand that I just don't think I would be doing that with baby blue ram (thats the fish I have). Plus I have issues with getting attached to any animal that crosses my sights.
    Last edited by Ras; 10-26-2013 at 09:50 PM.