· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default I need an algae eater for a German Blue Ram. 20 Gallon.

0 Not allowed!
    I've set up a 20 gallon aquarium that will house 1 German Blue Ram, 7 Cardinal Tetras, a one other type of schooling fish. Maybe rocket pencilfish. I've put 2 different plants in there. 1 Anubias Nana, and 1 Java Fern. I'm already having algae problems. Just like common algae on the glass and rocks. It's getting really annoying and spreading fast. What would be the best type of algae eater for that type of algae, that would be okay with the Ram and Tetras? Thanks for the help in advance!

0 Not allowed!
    You're packing the fish in tight and you got just a few plants in there. Have you considered dealing with the root cause instead of trying to get a creature to eat algae? What kind of algae are they?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Doing some research, it looks like brown algae. Found a site that says it occurs in newer aquarium or recycling aquariums so that fits the bill. With the stocking, I wasn't originally going to do some many cardinals. I was told by 2 people on here and a friend who has 13 years experience with dwarf cichlid tanks, that for a 20 gallon, I should do 1 Ram, 7-8 Cardinals, and 2 of them suggested 5-6 rocket pencilfish. I also thought it may have been a little tight.

2 Not allowed!
    If you are referring to diatoms, then that would most likely go away on it's own if this is a newer set-up. Diatoms need silicates to live which are typically released into your water from many different types of newly added substrates. Once the silicates are all used up, your diatoms will disappear. Extra water changes for now will help to get rid of the diatoms faster.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Cliff - that's what I assumed too - it's not a good idea to buy fish to do a "job" in your tank. While I'm no expert in algae, I've learned here that algae is generally caused by too much light/imbalance of nutrients in the tank, etc.

It's really the tank owner's job to clean it - that's why there are algae scrubbers on the market - it's highly recommended to get a fish because you like it and is compatible with the other fish you have.

Also, I agree that 2 sets of schooling fish for that tank size is a bit much. While there are people who aim for a very active tank with lots of fish, you need to take into consideration whether they'll be cramped once they reach full size.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't check back to see, but I may have been one of those suggesting this stocking. Regardless, I see no issues, but I would get more plants, and some faster growing. Java Fern and Anubias are slow growing species, which means they use fewer nutrients. Faster-growing plants use more, and this includes more nitrogen as ammonia (ammonium). Floating plants would work well here, since you have low-light lower plants. Water Sprite is an ammonia sink, plus it looks very nice and fish really like this above them, esp those rocket pencils if they come in.

To the algae, as long as it is not on the plants, you are OK. Keeping it off the glass is easy; i use one of those sponge-end scrapers at every water change, even though I don't usually see any type of algae, but doing this every time keeps it from starting. And while diatoms will (should) disappear on their own as the tank's biological system settles, common green algae might occur on the glass, or sometimes green dot. Easy to deal with.

I agree not to get a fish just to solve an issue that can be dealt with by fixing the source, as here. Light and nutrients cause algae (diatoms is a bit different) and with plants we aim to balance these so the plants out-compete the algae. The first couple months of any new tank are tricky, as things are so unsettled biologically, but that will pass.

Byron.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! I had 2 rubber lip plecos awhile ago and loved them. Thinking the algae would be a good excuse to get them again, But I'll just wait it out for a little bit and hope it balances out and the algae dies off. As far as the stock, I see that half of the people I speak to say over-stocked, and the other half says they will swim different levels of the tank and will live perfectly together...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew's_Fish_99 View Post
    Thank you! I had 2 rubber lip plecos awhile ago and loved them. Thinking the algae would be a good excuse to get them again, But I'll just wait it out for a little bit and hope it balances out and the algae dies off. As far as the stock, I see that half of the people I speak to say over-stocked, and the other half says they will swim different levels of the tank and will live perfectly together...
    I certainly would not advise adding any pleco to this tank; plecos produce a lot of waste.

Stocking involves many factors, of which fish size is only one, and while important, it is not the most important factor in the equation. As a very simple example, a 20g tank with 15 cardinal tetra would not be overstocked; the same 20g with 15 zebra danio would certainly be overstocked. Yet both fish are relatively the same in size.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew's_Fish_99 View Post
    Thank you! I had 2 rubber lip plecos awhile ago and loved them.
    What happened to them?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The plecos were in the same tank as my guppies I was breeding and the guppies got out of hand in numbers, and I think the plecos were too stressed by all the guppies and they died after 2 1/2 years. I always like to do rubber lip plecos in pairs or trips if the tank is big enough because in nature they actually swim in groups.
    Pleco is probably my favorite color.