· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Cycling Question

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this.

I have a 16 gallon cycling currently. A few days ago, I added the gravel, decor/plants and water. I also put in water conditioner, the recommended amount of Safe Start, an algae wafer and a gallon of vacuumed out water from my other tank. This morning, a few days after starting this aquarium, I turned on the aquarium's light and I saw that the water is cloudy. I read that this sort of thing is "normal" and "good," that it's bacteria that is growing and will filter out in a few days turning my tank's water clear again. I read that that would be the "end of the cycle" once the water's levels read correctly and the water is clear again. Is this true, or is it just because of the algae wafer dissolving? I have no fish in there yet, so don't panic if the problem could kill my fish. If it is caused by the algae wafer, will this cloudy-ness filter out or will I have to do some water changes?

Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    If your trying to do a fishless cycle, then you would really need a better source of ammonia

There is a link below in my sig to a thread here that explains one way of how to complete a fishless cycle, which is about the easiest way that I have found
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    If your trying to do a fishless cycle, then you would really need a better source of ammonia

There is a link below in my sig to a thread here that explains one way of how to complete a fishless cycle, which is about the easiest way that I have found
    Okay, but do you think the cloudy-ness is due to it cycling or because of the algae wafer I put in yesterday?

0 Not allowed!
    Most likely due to bacteria, but I'm not completely sure that one single wafer could cause that in 16 gallons of water.

But either way, that alone will not cycle your tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Most likely due to bacteria, but I'm not completely sure that one single wafer could cause that in 16 gallons of water.

But either way, that alone will not cycle your tank
    That's what I'm thinking.

Thank you.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

1 Not allowed!
    tiinykat I would listen to Cliff and use his cycle info.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    To the cloudiness question, yes, this is due to bacteria. Not from the algae wafer alone (those this does contribute), but just normal in any new tank.

What causes it is the organics in the tap water itself. As soon as the tap water is added to the tank, bacteria will appear to consume the organics. You would be perhaps surprised at the high level of organics in tap water. Sometimes you don't see this because the chlorine/chloramine prevents the bacteria from colonizing, but if you dechlorinate, or once the chlorine dissipates (in 24 hours), the bacteria have open access and will suddenly appear. It is harmless to fish and the cycling.

The type of bacteria we are talking about here are heterotrophic and reproduce very fast. Each bacterium can multiply by binary division within 15 to 60 minutes, so you can imagine how fast this can occur. Heterotrophic bacteria cannot synthesize their own food, as can autotrophic bacteria, so they need organics.

For this type of cloudiness, water changes are not helpful, as they only bring in more organics. Best to just let is work through on its own.

On the cycling, if you intend having live plants you can skip "cycling" per say. I will explain if asked.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 10-24-2013 at 04:03 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    To the cloudiness question, yes, this is due to bacteria. Not from the algae wafer alone (those this does contribute), but just normal in any new tank.

What causes it is the organics in the tap water itself. As soon as the tap water is added to the tank, bacteria will appear to consume the organics. You would be perhaps surprised at the high level of organics in tap water. Sometimes you don't see this because the chlorine/chloramine prevents the bacteria from colonizing, but if you dechlorinate, or once the chlorine dissipates (in 24 hours), the bacteria have open access and will suddenly appear. It is harmless to fish and the cycling.

The type of bacteria we are talking about here are heterotrophic and reproduce very fast. Each bacterium can multiply by binary division within 15 to 60 minutes, so you can imagine how fast this can occur. Heterotrophic bacteria cannot synthesize their own food, as can autotrophic bacteria, so they need organics.

For this type of cloudiness, water changes are not helpful, as they only bring in more organics. Best to just let is work through on its own.

On the cycling, if you intend having live plants you can skip "cycling" per say. I will explain if asked.

Byron.
    Thank you so much for the information.

The cloudy-ness has already cleared up almost completely. That safe start I used really jump started the whole process combined with the stuff I vacuumed out of my other tank. Waiting a few days to make sure everything stays stabilized before I add any fish, but water tests and otherwise are so far so good! I also do have live plants in the aquarium.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tiinykat View Post
    Thank you so much for the information.

The cloudy-ness has already cleared up almost completely. That safe start I used really jump started the whole process combined with the stuff I vacuumed out of my other tank. Waiting a few days to make sure everything stays stabilized before I add any fish, but water tests and otherwise are so far so good! I also do have live plants in the aquarium.
    Since you have live plants, you can forget about cycling. As long as some of the plants are reasonably fast growing, and floating plants are ideal here, you can introduce a few fish and all will be well. You just can't overload things.

How this works: Plants need nitrogen, and they prefer it as ammonium. The ammonia produced by fish respiration and the breakdown of waste will be grabbed by the plants and internally changed into ammonium. Plants can take up a considerable amount of ammonia/ammonium, especially the fast growers.

While this is occurring, some of the ammonia will still get taken up by bacteria which will colonize nonetheless, only less and more slowly. The upside of all this is that the plants take up the ammonia and do not produce nitrite (or nitrate). The bacteria will still do all this, but so little that you cannot even detect the ammonia or nitrite with our test kits. Nitrate will appear, usually, at some point, proving that this did happen, but it will be very low and sometimes not at all. The fish load and feeding has an impact on this too.

The bacterial supplement you used (SafeStart) is fine, it will not do any harm to all this. And by the way, that is one of the best of the bacterial supplements; it is Dr. Hovanec's original formula which Tetra bought a few years back and now market as SafeStart.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 10-24-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Well, you can't really forget about cycling, but with the proper balance of plants and fish it does make the process much easier on the fish. As with any method of cycling a tank and introducing new livestock, you must monitor the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate until you are certain the tank is cycled. You can't just throw in a few plants and expect the tank to be fish ready. You need a good amount of plants, a bit of time for them to establish, then lightly stock the tank. This is a proven method and if you prefer to go this route, I suggest you read about the Walstad method before attempting it. It isn't difficult, but it takes more than a short post here to fully understand it.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.