· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lesson learned

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

Default Lesson learned

0 Not allowed!
    A few days ago my son decided to transfer some Ember Tetras he had in quarantine to his main tank. After netting the Embers and placing them into a bag to float/acclimate in his main tank, he got a bucket from the laundry room and placed his net over it. The Embers were poured into the net and put into the main tank.
    One little Ember missed the net and went into the bucket, reactions as fast as a cat, he netted that Ember and put it into the tank.
    When I went to the basement he told me what had transpired and I looked at the bucket he had used for the transfer. Normally it wouldn't have mattered but since a fish went into it which he had rescued and placed into his main tank I told him that was the floor cleaning bucket which is constantly used for different cleaning products and he had to start on a large water change ASAP. After changing 40% of the tank water, adding charcoal to his one filter and tossing that net I thought we had avoided any issues.
    Not so, all the Cardinals died over night (8 of them), and 5 Harlequin Rasboras. We tested the water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates which all read 0 ppm. The pH has not changed from 7.8.
    The younger fish, rummy-nose, embers, and Corie's are all doing fine so far.
    In that tank we also have cherry shrimp which are doing fine.
    Now the Cardinals and Harlequins were well over 3 years with us.
    He did another large water change yesterday so we will see what happens to the inhabitants.

I bought another bucket to use for tank waste water so the cleaning bucket will not be used in the future.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OH darn. What a shame. That's really too bad. Fortunately at our house I'm the fish keeping queen :o) No one but me touches the buckets and I have buckets designated for fish only.
    But who would have thought that 1 little fish who came in contact with some chemicals would have affected the entire tank.
    Fingers crossed that none of the others were hurt by it. Hard lesson for your son who I'm sure feels bad, poor kid.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I think the water from the net came into contact with the tank water Fishmommie.
    One Ember was dead in the morning which I assume was the one who hit the bucket.
    My son is devastated, those are his first losses in almost a year in that tank.
    I'm amazed the cherry shrimp are not passing away.
    Hind sight being 20-20, he says he should have just left that one ember in the bucket.
    I don't blame him on saving it, I would have as well but I only use a clean bucket under my net which is what he will also be doing from now on.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Poor kid - a hard lesson learned for anyone. But I can certainly understand the instinct to quickly save that fish without stopping to think about it. I also have two dedicated "fish" buckets near the tanks and the cleaning bucket is in the bottom of the linen closet on the second floor. I keep fish "stuff" in the fish buckets and cleaning "stuff" in the cleaning buckets.

Awards Showcase

have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl 
    Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus 
    Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

3 Not allowed!
    Lesson learned indeed...so sorry for you and your son's losses...and thanks for sharing your story, you possibly just saved someone else reading this the heartbreak of losing fish because of a simple oversight...that could happen to any of us.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

6. Default

3 Not allowed!
    You tell him I'd have probably panicked and done the same thing. One never knows what they would do in this situation. Hard lesson learned but one he'll never forget.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Wow I'm surprised, too, that such a minor seeming "infraction" had such consequences. I could see losing that one fish, but you wouldn't think that the, say, teaspoon of contaminated water would affect a tank like that.

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    I agree sheamurai, I thought we had nipped it in the butt with a large water change.
    Whatever has been introduced into the tank was damaging. The weird thing is it only really affected the upper fish. I figured the cherry shrimp would be dying off in droves but thats not the case.
    Anyway, now he has room for a school of his own. Those that died were from my 55 gallon tank which I turned into a reef tank almost a year ago. It will be interesting to see what fish species he picks to fill in the void.
    I personally hope he doesn't pick barbs but thats just me.
    We'll see next time he want to go to the lfs.

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

3 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the loss of your fish and your son's lesson learned the hard way. I know I would also have tried to save the little fish.

And I also thank you for posting about a sad situation. It's a reminder to us all to be diligent in using the right equipment.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear about your son's losses. It is amazing how very small things can affect a tank so dramatically.

I know it might not be a consolation, but we are all learning from your son's unfortunate accident so it will help avoid similar incidents in the tanks of the many of us reading this.