· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default new Java Fern bud ?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 20 gallon long FW cycled tank with livebearers in it. All my water pararameters are good-ammo is 0 and nitrites and nitrates are in safe range or below. My question is - I have a narrow leaf Java Fern rubber banded to a rock, until I get some driftwood and at the end/tip of one of the leaves it has two tendril-like brown hairlike growths with even finer brown hairlike growths branching off the thicker tendril offshoot. I have only had this fern for maybe two weeks and I wonder if this is a new fern growing or the start of something like brown hair algae. I will try to attach a picture but I am not good at that stuff, although I did read the instructions. If the attachment works, look closely above the red rock.

2. Default

2 Not allowed!
    a picture would be good but in the meantime, if you have any nitrite reading other than 0, your tank is not cycled.
    What are your nitrite and nitrate readings? What are you using to test you water?
    Just trouble shooting in the event you have a problem.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with fishmommie. Nitrite that is not zero is a real danger.

To the plant, it could be either. Java Fern reproduces in the aquarium by forming adventitious plants on the leaves. But this plant is a low-light one, and is notorious for attracting brush algae in higher light. Without a photo, can't say which this may be.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

4. Default Java fern bud ?

0 Not allowed!
    I am sorry. Perhaps I was unclear. Using API Master Test Kit. Tank has been set up for several months. Seems I can't get any thing- ammo, nitrites or nitrates to read over 0.0 ppm even if I tried (thankfully). If I could figure out how to attach a picture (from a mobile phone I gladly would). Anyway, upon further inspection, these outgrowths seem to be to be spreading along the edge of the leaf, not just the tip. I had black beard algae once and I don't want any relative of it ever again. Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by uihawk9868 View Post
    I am sorry. Perhaps I was unclear. Using API Master Test Kit. Tank has been set up for several months. Seems I can't get any thing- ammo, nitrites or nitrates to read over 0.0 ppm even if I tried (thankfully). If I could figure out how to attach a picture (from a mobile phone I gladly would). Anyway, upon further inspection, these outgrowths seem to be to be spreading along the edge of the leaf, not just the tip. I had black beard algae once and I don't want any relative of it ever again. Thanks.
    Assuming it may be algae then, the light and nutrients are critical. I have my Java Fern in a tank with a heavy cover of floating plants (Water Sprite) and it helps, though I do have a couple leaves with brush algae. Nutrients is also important; this is a slow-growing plant, requiring low light, which in turn means low nutrient requirement. Liquid fertilization is the only way to add nutrients for this type of plant whose roots and leaves assimilate all nutrients from the water column, but it doesn't need much. I would need to know the data on light, fish load, feeding and fertilization to offer anything further.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    If it's brown and fuzzy and radiating from a single spot, I think they are roots of a new plantlet. A picture could help a lot for a final confirmation.

7. Default Java fern bud ? (photo)

0 Not allowed!

I apologize that the photo is not high resolution. Please look along the edges of the fern leaves and above the red rock. I am trying to determine if the brown fuzzy hairlike side growth is more fern or brown algae. Thanks.