· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Seeking Help for Dying Fish!

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 60ltr aquarium that has been up and running for almost a year. It's fully cycled and currently home to around 10 different smalll fish. In the past I have lost dozens and I just don't know why. I do pwc every week and check the levels often. I've lost a good few glass catfish with the same illness, they started to develop growths just under their mouths getting bigger and bigger until they eventually died. I had a molly fish with a similar growth, this time further down. I was convinced it may be a girl and pregnant. I was expecting her to give birth until the day I woke up and found her dead. The other fish I've lost (guppy, molly, tetra) have less dramatic side effects and usually just swim unbalanced for a week or so before dying. This is currently the case with the last remaining platy I have. He's been tipping onto his side for a couple of weeks but it seems to have gotten worse, I also have a black guppy who is spending a lot of time resting lately which is unlike it.

I think I am a responsible owner so I don't know why it's happening. Every week when I do the pwc I add a teaspoon of aquarium salt as told by the fish store owner and a dose of anti-algea treament since my tank gets a build up. I feed once a day and occassionally give appropriate supplements such as bloodworm etc. Here are my tank readings:

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 20-40 (due for a pwc today)
    Temp: 25
    PH: 7

Please advise if you can

2. Default

4 Not allowed!
    Sorry about your losses. It's clear you're attempting to do the best thing for your fish but your lfs has steered your wrong. I'd stop the salt and anti-algae treatments immediately. Some fish just can't take salt and most here agree that salt is not necessary in freshwater aquariums and does more harm than good. Chemicals that are to help reduce algae have been known to be fatal to some fish.
    Make the removal of algae part of your weekly water change if it's an issue.
    Your nitrates are also running pretty high. I'd up the weekly water changes to 50% and consider the amount you're feeding. You might be overfeeding a bit.

Someone else may have more advise but in the meantime give my suggestions a try and see if that doesn't stop the losses.
    Good luck!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Sorry about your losses. It's clear you're attempting to do the best thing for your fish but your lfs has steered your wrong. I'd stop the salt and anti-algae treatments immediately. Some fish just can't take salt and most here agree that salt is not necessary in freshwater aquariums and does more harm than good. Chemicals that are to help reduce algae have been known to be fatal to some fish.
    Your nitrates are also running pretty high. I'd up the weekly water changes to 50% and consider the amount you're feeding. You might be overfeeding a bit.

Someone else may have more advise but in the meantime give my suggestions a try and see if that doesn't stop the losses.
    Good luck!
    Thank you so much. I'll try all those things.

2 Not allowed!
    I concur with all that fishmommie wrote. But I would like to find out more about those "growths" you mentioned. I don't suppose you have any photos of those fish, or perhaps can find some online that would clue us in? It is possible that some external protozoan was responsible.

Are any fish now in the tank? I would not add more until we sort this out. There is also the issue of compatible fish and numbers; Glass catfish are extremely delicate fish that need a group and a very quiet surroundings. Tetra are also shoaling fish that need a small group. Can't say much more on this without knowing the specific fish and numbers you had, but a 60 liter (= 15 gallons) tank is not very large.

Another issue is water hardness. Molly must have moderately hard or harder water (and the pH should be higher than 7), while this would not be good for the glass cats or tetra. Any idea of your tap water GH?

Do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? And on the nitrate, have you tested your tap water on its own for nitrate? This is a possibility, and worth knowing.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 10-21-2013 at 05:07 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I have a 60ltr aquarium that has been up and running for almost a year. It's fully cycled and currently home to around 10 different smalll fish - Please consider that many fish won't stay very small and will eventually be crowded in a tank that size.. In the past I have lost dozens and I just don't know why. I do pwc every week and check the levels often.

I think I am a responsible owner so I don't know why it's happening. Every week when I do the pwc I add a teaspoon of aquarium salt as told by the fish store owner - Like the others above me, it's debatable whether it's a good idea to regularly add salt - salt is generally recommend to treat certain illnesses and acts as an irritant which leads to a build up of slime coat on the fish. and a dose of anti-algea treament - algae is usually due to too much lighting and excess/imbalance of nutrients in the tank - but once it's there, you can just clean it yourselfsince my tank gets a build up. I feed once a day and occassionally give appropriate supplements such as bloodworm etc. Here are my tank readings:

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 20-40 (due for a pwc today)
    Temp: 25
    PH: 7

Please advise if you can
    Please see my comments above.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post

Good luck!
    Great advice.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

7. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I am not very new to fish keeping hobby and i myself had problems with my tank.. but with the advise and suggestions of senior members i managed to save my fishes..

No disrespect to my senior members (as they might feel being a new member i am giving advise)..

I also feel the tank is small in size to house these fishes.. and please stop putting aquarium salt but i would advise to put some anti Ich and anti-fungus medicine in the tank after a 50% water change..And do siphon the gravel or aquarium bed when you do a 50% water change. And also if you have chlorine in water do add Anti-Chlorine.

I hope this helps..

8. Default

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhupeshkhanna View Post
    I am not very new to fish keeping hobby and i myself had problems with my tank.. but with the advise and suggestions of senior members i managed to save my fishes..

No disrespect to my senior members (as they might feel being a new member i am giving advise)..

I also feel the tank is small in size to house these fishes.. and please stop putting aquarium salt but i would advise to put some anti Ich and anti-fungus medicine in the tank after a 50% water change..And do siphon the gravel or aquarium bed when you do a 50% water change. And also if you have chlorine in water do add Anti-Chlorine.

I hope this helps..
    The only issue I see with this well intended advice is that you should never use medication in a shotgun approach. If you don't know if the fish have ich, then you should not used ich medication - and nothing the OP has said suggests ich is an issue. The same with anti-fungus medication. It can do more harm to your fish if you treat them for a condition they don't have. Water changes and lots of them including gravel vacs (as you suggested) are always the first line of resistance when dealing with an unknown illness.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @Fishmommie - Noted and Understood.. Thanks:)

0 Not allowed!
    Fishmommie is right on here. This was something I had to learn, and I am glad I did. When I see that something doesn't seem quite right, I almost always do an immediate 50% water change. It really is amazing how this always seems to help, and sometimes it is all that is necessary. Then I do water tests, which tell me if things have changed significantly. Turn to medications only when the issue is definite, and then choose the best medication to deal with the specific issue.

Byron.