· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New freshwater fish

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone, I recently got an aquarium and I find the hobby fascinating. The only problem is it hurts when a fish dies.

I have a 30 gallon tank with a bio filter, aerator, 3 pieces of driftwood, some artificial plants in the center of the tank, and 3 real plants( no idea which they are), 4 goldfish, 2 bettas, 1 guppy, and one 3 inch pleco.

I had a few questions regarding aquarium maintenance
    I had a 10 gallon tank before with only one massive pleco about 10 inches he would eat the Algae and it was like that for years. In my new tank there's no Algae in-spite of keeping the lights being switched on for almost a week. He died day before and I think because of starvation, he became very pale and his color faded.
    I bought a small pleco about 3 inches I am not sure how to feed it. I bought algae pills but it gets lost in the foliage, I attached a piece of cucumber with a toothpick at the bottom of the tank but no luck, and how do I grow green Algae??

My tank is kinda crowded because of the goldfish but I wanted to add more plants would that be a problem?

How exactly do I feed the fish? The goldfish eats everything before the guppy and bettas get to the food, and i lost one betta because of over feeding. And the goldfish even eat the cucumber meant for the pleco.

The plants on the left side are not doing that well but the ones on the right are growing nicely, although the leaves are loosing their green.

My water reading are as follows
    Ammonia, nitrites - 0 ppm
    P.H- 7.2
    Nitrates- 200 ppm

I bought plants to reduce nitrates but its still 200.

Thanks in advance :)
    I have attached a picture of the aquarium.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

3 Not allowed!
    No way that's a 30g tank, it's the 10g isn't it? With all those fish crammed in that tiny tank and the lights left on for a week the pleco probably had plenty of algae to eat but died of the stress of the lights, because they are nocturnal, and the high nitrates, if they are truly at 200ppm. I also find it hard to believe the nitrates are 200ppm or have been for any length of time because the fish would be showing signs of nitrate poisoning like black splotches and floating at the top dead.
    The goldfish will eat everything they can get into their mouths and they like the algae wafers and cucumber because they need a large part of their diet to consist of vegetation.
    Water changes is the fastest way to reduce nitrates, there isn't enough room in that little tank to add enough plants to keep the nitrates produced by the waste of all those fish down to safe levels, but the pleco would appreciate some floating plants in there to reduce the light. The goldfish will like the plants as snacks too.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

2 Not allowed!
    looks like a 10 or 15 as pointed out before.
    also there are some major compatibility issues.
    gold fish and betta and guppies can't live together.
    guppies, pleco's and betta's need warm water (26 degrees)
    while the goldfish need cold water (no heater.)
    the pleco and goldfish grow over 1 feet so get them out of there if you want them to live (return to petstore, give to friend with 60 gallon tank). (this is why the nitrates are so high)
    is the betta not chasing the guppies around. almost all would.
    if not get a heater and keep the betta and guppies.
    also DO SOME MAJOR 70-80 % water changes to get the nitrates down. your lucky if the fish are alive for another day if nitrate is actually at 200
    PS: don't feel discouraged. most people would keep the fish you have in a bowl and not care if it dies. your doing good for most people
    Last edited by vafa; 10-21-2013 at 02:54 AM.
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!