· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default What should I do with my new 16 gallon bow front aquarium?

0 Not allowed!
    I am a total newbie at aquariums, it was about three(ish) months ago when I bought a beautiful silver/white crowntail male Betta from Petsmart on a whim, with a simple 1 gallon filtered Aquaeon minibow aquarium. A few days later, I purchased my first mystery snail as a tankmate for him. The more I read, the more I wanted to upgrade to a 5 gallon. So I did that about three weeks after my initial purchase. My Betta seems super happy in his new filtered/heated home. I take water up to my favorite fish store and have them test it about once a week, so far no problems. Other than a mysterious mystery snail death, and the unfortunate loss of two African Dwarf Frogs (one hopped away, the other lived about a month before he suddenly died, since I've decided against anymore of them for a while) I've been very happy with my tank and everyone seems to be as well. I have a couple white cloud mountain minnows in that tank now with my Betta and a few ghost shrimp + a Mystery Snail (a little overstocked for a 5 gallon, I know, but I keep a very close eye on the water and use my gravel vacuum too)

SO with all that said, I. Finally. Got. The. Aquarium. Yes! I've been staring at this thing since I first began all this. It's a 16 gallon bow front aquarium with a really nice hood, and I also got the stand for it as well. It's empty right now, but this week I'm going to start building it into a home for someone.

So that is where I need your help! What I would really like to do most is start a female Betta sorority with it, and keep it strictly for that alone. 4-6 Bettas, perhaps a few mystery snails or shrimp or something as well. I just love Bettas, they are so hardy, easy to keep for the most part and beautiful. I'm familiar with them and their personalities, and I love my male Betta so much. I've kept them as a child in a bowl before, but now that I'm 21 I know better. But yeah, that would be my first choice for this aquarium's use. If I go this route, I plan on filling it with some nice black gravel, and a ton of beautiful plants (fake and alive, maybe Banana plants I think they're called?)

The other thing I was thinking was filling it with different tetras. I don't like this idea as much.

I also LOVE ghost catfish. They're so fantastic, I would love to fill it with them too.

I also like guppies, minnows, and red clawed crabs. I thought about getting a crawfish (my fish store has a few selections, florida blue cray being my favorite) but crawfish are my favorite food so I don't know if I would end up getting hungry every time I looked at him - or start feeling bad for eating his mates.

So I need help deciding! Obviously the fish aren't going to come along until it's all set up and cycled, but I would love your input as I can hardly decide. What kind of fish/aquarium do you think a beginner can handle well? Thank you for reading all this!

1 Not allowed!
    If I wee you, my first priority would be to give the fish in your 5 gallon a better home. The betta, shrimp and snails can stay, but the white clouds really should have a bigger and cooler tank than the betta. White Cloud Mountain minnows are cool water fish, and while they can take normal community temps easy, they really should not be kept at the 80 degrees Fahrenheit a betta needs to be healthy. Thus, I would recommend first moving your white clouds to the bigger tank and getting more of them until you have a school of 6. From there you can work the rest of your stock to fit your already existing fish. Guppies will work with white clouds and will fit in a tank that size, I don't know what species of minnow you are talking about, most "freshwater" crabs sold are actually amphibious or even spend the majority of their time outside of water. They need a "land area" to crawl up to. In a conventional aquarium, they will not thrive and die after a few months. Crayfish can be kept fully aquatic, but they will catch small fish and eat them during the night, so not recommended. A betta sorority would work in the tank if it weren't for the White Cloud Mountain minnows. I also would not recommend ghost cats as they are quite delicate and should be reserved for more advanced aquarists.

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tiinykat View Post
    ... upgrade to a 5 gallon. So I did that about three weeks after my initial purchase. My Betta seems super happy in his new filtered/heated home. I take water up to my favorite fish store and have them test it about once a week, so far no problems. Other than a mysterious mystery snail death, and the unfortunate loss of two African Dwarf Frogs (one hopped away, the other lived about a month before he suddenly died, ... I've been very happy with my tank and everyone seems to be as well. I have a couple white cloud mountain minnows in that tank now with my Betta and a few ghost shrimp + a Mystery Snail (a little overstocked for a 5 gallon, I know, but I keep a very close eye on the water and use my gravel vacuum too)
    [COLOR="#800080"]Glad you upgraded the betta to a 5 gal but you really don't have room in a 4 for the frogs and the white cloud minnows require much colder water. Bettas need to be kept at around 80 to keep them healthy. As for keeping watch on your water, that needs to be done with an API liquid master test kit. You can pick one up on amazon for cheap. You should regularly check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels yourself so you always know what's happening in your tank. Also the betta will most likely eat the shrimp unless you've got a ton of hiding places for them. If they come up missing, you'll know why./COLOR]

16 gallon bow front aquarium What I would really like to do most is start a female Betta sorority with it, and keep it strictly for that alone. 4-6 Bettas, perhaps a few mystery snails or shrimp or something as well. If I go this route, I plan on filling it with some nice black gravel, and a ton of beautiful plants (fake and alive, maybe Banana plants I think they're called?)
    sounds like a good plan

The other thing I was thinking was filling it with different tetras. I don't like this idea as much.

I also LOVE ghost catfish. They're so fantastic, I would love to fill it with them too.

I also like guppies, minnows, and red clawed crabs. I thought about getting a crawfish (my fish store has a few selections, florida blue cray being my favorite) but crawfish are my favorite food so I don't know if I would end up getting hungry every time I looked at him - or start feeling bad for eating his mates.
    You do not want a crawfish or lobster. they are predators and will attack your fish at night.

So I need help deciding! Obviously the fish aren't going to come along until it's all set up and cycled, Good for you for fishless cycling. Are you using ammonia or fish food to cycle the tank?

I would love your input as I can hardly decide. What kind of fish/aquarium do you think a beginner can handle well? Thank you for reading all this!
    Your betta sorority sounds good and it seems that's where your heart is. I would think 4 would be the max for that size tank, however.

If you decide to go for tetras there are so many pretty varieties you could successfully keep. Cardinals, neons, serpaes, x-ray, pristillas ... those are just a few. you should google types of fresh water tetras and see all the possibilities you come up with and if you find some you are particularly fond of, then study their profiles so you'll know if they can live in that size of a tank and how many. and of course, you can ask here too. There will be many people who will weigh in on tetras.
    Good luck.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    It's 16 gallons and a bowfront at that so usable floorspace is about that of a 10g. Not that much tetra room in that I'd go for a small species and a single species at that. Tiinykat has enough plans to fill 5 substantially bigger tanks.
    Last edited by talldutchie; 10-20-2013 at 06:46 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    I also would not recommend ghost cats as they are quite delicate and should be reserved for more advanced aquarists.
    Yeah, I read about them out of curiosity after I posted this and was like "Nope."

Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Tiinykat has enough plans to fill 5 substantially bigger tanks.
    But of course. :)