· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Found the missing black neon this morning. He wasn't long dead (still had eyes - the kuhlies don't leave them for long!) , so he must have been hiding yesterday.
    Touch Wood everything else cheerful, bright and greedy.
    Surprised if something wrong in the water that my ancient neon tetra still lives - he has only half a tail and survived ick and an additional horrible infection leaving him scarred and pockmarked. Perhaps he's immortal.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As I continue to update the Most Boring Journal in history ...

The good news is that all is well in Tank Soot. Not sure what the two neon deaths + one shrimp were all about, but I guess the move, stress, maybe some momentarily dodgy params? Everyone seems happy and even the plants are starting to look like they might try to establish and grow, with new growth here and there and mostly healthy looking leaves. Going to maintain this status quo until after Christmas and when we get back from visiting family, hopefully some Ottos will be joining the family and maybe a couple assassin snails.

Would love a centrepiece fish but everything I look at is either unsuitable for my water or unfriendly to shrimp. If I can't choose anything, then I may buy in some really snazzy colourful guppies to add to the troupe instead ...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My plants are all doing badly :( Growing slowwwwwwwly and some yellow leaves ...
    Something is deficient ... am researching :D Thought my ferts were doing well but clearly not. Perhaps not enough fish teeheee. Am getting some ottos soon but waiting for diatoms/algae so they can move into a tank with food. Young guppies are growing up as well so their bioload will increase. All my guppies seem to be miniatures - I have mature females smaller than a finger nail. I love them, bright tiny colours everywhere!

All the fish and shrimp are doing great. I was given a free male betta 10 days ago. He is an adult who previously lived in a community tank and so far he is fitting into my little community. He does give chase to the smaller shrimp and guppies but so far no harm done. He seems to have a taste for snails? Don't know if this is normal.

Best of all, I got an early Christmas present. A brand new APS 1400 filter to replace my old (second hand) Aquamanta 200. I kept all the old media of course and there is also a second filter still running while I decide if I want a smaller tank. As I currently only keep about 150-180L of water in my tank as the light is so low, I think the 1400 will make easy work of it.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is where we're currently at!
    Worried the new anubias is too central and getting full light ... but the lights aren't powerful. I am expecting it to lose its leaves as I think it was raised out of water, but it's a nice plant.

Awards Showcase

Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus 
    right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 
    Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

2 Not allowed!
    Looking ALOT better, great job!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So overall things are going well ... Plants don't seem to be growing? But also don't seem to be dying back ...

A funny thing though. I've been on holiday for a while and I left the aquarium to its own devices, timers, auto-feeders, etc. All seemed well then a few days ago I thought the tank looked a bit empty. Compared to photos from before I left and sure enough half the plants on the left side of the tank were simply GONE. Not in the filter, not floating ... eaten, I suppose? Only specific species are gone. I did only leave one 1/2 algae wafer per day as didn't want the nitrates to ride too high so I guess the fish turned on some of the plants?

Here's the aftermath photo

Moss on the "tree" is looking lovely up close. Sadly, the "tree" is collapsing. Needs to be superglued back on. The shrimp keep "mining" the silicon from the base ugh!
    Last edited by Soot; 01-04-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 10x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 2x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

10g planted: Bael the betta & black devil trumpet snail

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Things have been going fairly well since my last update. Previous photos just made me realise how much the java fern and grass stuff has grown! Will need new photos asap!
    Unfortunately I am having a small algae problem - the brushy stuff. Probably because I have been messing with my parameters - inserted root tabs, have started experimenting with Flourish Excel, perhaps not as regular as I should be with the ferts, etc! Typical Soot not leaving things alone, basically!

Anyway I just spent the afternoon tidying up the tank. Cut off any leaves affected by the algae and added a layer of clean gravel to better cap the current stuff over about half the tank (LFS thought perhaps my gravel wasn't deep enough for the root tabs so probably some leeching into the water column) ... then pulling the plants up so THEY now weren't too deep ... I turned the driftwood with the anubias around so it's not shading the plants that WANT the light but is now shading the java fern which was a bit too exposed bang in the middle of tank (esp as the white sanded area reflects light as well).

Have also added a "polishing" filter to get debris out of the water after my messing about.
    AND managed to not buy any new fish + rehomed some juvenile guppies so am down about 7 fish. Shrimp population seems to have recovered (in that I reckon anything that was going to die has now died so hopefully what's left is my survivors) from the great copper poisoning of 2014 and the carbon I chucked into the filter has been removed and disposed of. Juvenile shrimp have been spotted so they are back to breeding.

Uhm ... that's all ... The drift looks a lot messier turned the other way round but I reckon I'll get used to it. It does create a neat little wood cave that the kuhlis seem to favour so maybe I'll get to watch some fun behaviours.

Next plan, when/if I conquer the algae will be to get more Otos as I am not convinced mine have all survived so want a better number + some more amano shrimps and MORE kuhlis (impossible to count them, but I love them loads) **OR** some dwarf corys if my research shows they can share the bottom floor with the kuhlis ...

My fingers are like prunes, but I feel good about today's work and will get a pic to compare with the last one when the lights come on in a bit.
    55g planted: 10x adult guppies + fry, 10x kuhli loaches, 7x black neons, 2x neons, 6x Amano shrimp, assassin snails & cherry shrimp

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    the tank looks great! very nice landscaping and planting.
    I've planted all my tanks within the past several months but have all low light and low maintenance plants. I dose weekly with Flourish and that's it. I think you'd like it. All are growing nicely - but again, I'm talking nanas, java fern, java moss, anacharas, crypts (wendti red and green) and hornwort.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    This is where we're at today :)

Quite some BBA - have tried upping the Excel but that's making other things melt, so might just back off everything for a while just to see what things look like in a week without any intervention at all. Obviously if it gets worse I might just sacrifice the vals, but I think I've possibly been messing a bit too much (AS USUAL, ITS MY THING!!) ...

Added more water flow, but it's on the same side (different angle) as the filter outlet, so not ideal, although it does significantly increase the mid0level flow and the fish are loving it, esp the Otos keep attaching right by the outlet (it's quite low down in the water) and their little tails swish in the water.

Shrimp seem to like it too and suddenly the ground floor is very busy all day long.

Added 2 extra Otos and also got some pygmy corys in now - fresh out of quarantine at my friend's (she bred them, quarantined for someone else but they changed their mind) :) ... Only 5 at the moment as that's all she had, but totally adorable. Will get more in. So tempted by panda corys as well - not sure if there is space on the ground floor though. My friend has about 50 teeny tiny babies, OMG they are the size of a little finger nail and so adorable. But I know they get quite chunky :D Very tempted ... all thoughts welcome.

Count the species looking for the last piece of algae wafer LOL! Happy community.
    Last edited by Soot; 01-30-2014 at 10:49 PM.