· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 10 gallon stocking advise

0 Not allowed!
    (**Advice)

Hey all

I am starting up a 10 gallon again after a couple of years break

after the tank is cycled, I intend to have a male betta centerpiece fish, and most likely bottom feeders.
    I have had small corydoras before, and was wondering about other bottom feeding fish that i could school without being horribly overstocked?
    I was interested in Kuhli loaches, but in my research found that they are skittish without alot of them (10 or so), so I was thinking that may not work out too well.

anyway, I am interested to hear what you guys suggest.
    thanks
    Last edited by Slow Cheetah; 10-19-2013 at 10:26 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it's small bottom feeders you want i'd either go with Corydoras pygmaeus or, Hara jerdoni though i've never seen them at any of my LFS so you might have trouble finding Hara jerdoni.
    They both top out at about 3cm.

Corydoras pygmaeus; http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...oras-pygmaeus/
    Hara jerdoni; http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hara-jerdoni/
    15 Gallon Tarantula tank - Completed. - 1x Lasiodora parahybana
    55 Gallon South-America tank - Neverending. - 10x Nannostomus trifasciatus, 4x Corydoras aeneus, 2x Megalechis thoracata, 2x Acarichthys heckelii
    15 Triassic tank - Planning started. - Possibly a healthy group of Triops cancriformis

0 Not allowed!
    Either the pygmaeus or Habroseus corys would be great, I have 7 in a 10g, could probably do more.

You could also do a few male (male only unless you know you can rehome the babies) endlers... not sure how they would work with the betta with the flashy colors... would need someone else to second this one way or the other

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just quickly on the pygmy cories... the tank has gravel substrate. is this a big no-no for cories?

1 Not allowed!
    Some people would say that you can only keep cories on fine sand, but I disagree. For those who say it abrades their barbels, the real culprit is dirty water. I've kept cories on multiple gravel types and as long as the water was clean they had beautiful long barbels. I'm pretty sure they secretly wanted to be pictus cats. For those who say the cories cannot display their natural behavior of sand sifting, that is true. However, they often portray it as if the cories wanted to sift through sand. Lions don't want to chase other animals. They have to in order to catch them. If there is a freshly dead animal lying around they'd always scavenge it first because it is the easiest way. My point is, from an animal welfare view, cories likely don't care what substrate they live on, as long as lots of good food is accessible. If you however wantto observe your cories burying their faces in sand and have it puff out of their gills, then you will obviously have to go with a sand substrate.

As for keeping a betta with endlers, I wouldn't be very worried about the endlers. Keep in mind that a betta is severely swimming impaired due to his long floppy fins while endlers, thanks to the lack of human modification, still can zip around at light speed. I doubt the betta would be able to catch them. However, their incessant activity might be enough to stress some calmer bettas.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i might have to request these into my lfs
    don't think they had pygmys last time i went...

but yes i am more inclined to have bottom feeders just to keep the betta roaming freely

0 Not allowed!
    While the "normal" corys can manage with fine gravel [I had this for many years], I have found that the "pygmy" species like Corydoras pygmaeus, Corydoras habrosus and Corydoras hastatus do not do well over gravel. Sand is better. I use simple play sand that I get from Home Depot, made by Quikrete. It replicates the natural sands in the Amazon, and my corys love it. I was having problems keeping pygmy corys and a catfish expert told me to switch to sand for the dwarf species, and it is advisable.

As for these small corys and a male Betta, this may or may not work. These small cory species love to spend more time up in the tank, browsing plant leaves, rather than on the substrate. And they are tiny. I had a Betta that easily ate neons, and while I admit that the colour was no doubt a factor, some Betta might not appreciate the continual activity of a group of tiny fish around them.

I am with the majority these days that consider Betta stand alone fish.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 10-19-2013 at 04:53 PM.