· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Filtering a 12 gal long

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all, so I'm currently in the planning / fantasy plan for this tank. It is a 36" tank that is low and narrow. I plan for it to serve as a centerpiece for my dining table. It will be heavily planted, and designed to be viewed from one end as well as both sides. So I've been trying to figure out how to best filter this thing. My main concern is sufficiently circulating water across 36" of heavily planted aquarium without disturbing the calm water fish I plan to stock (focusing on Honey gourami). So far these are what I've thought of:

Small canister like the SunSun 603, Finnex 360 or ZooMed 501, setting the outflow on one end and the inflow on the other. I've never owned a canister and I'm concerned about quality with these models. Also if I place them on the floor, will they be powerful enough to pump up to the tank?

Two internal filters (like the fluval nano with a spraybar). I know of one successful low tech tank using this approach. One filter used the spraybar, and the other was aimed as a return jet. The downside here is that I will have a filter on my viewing end of the tank.

Placing an AC30 HOB on the non viewing end of the tank.

Here is where things get interesting. I'm seriously considering plumbing under the substrate with PVC for any of these methods. I'm just thinking of running one PVC pipe to aide in circulation. It would be most superfluous with a canister, but still I would avoid running tubing across my dining table. The return for the filter would come out the far side (the viewing end) and a spray-bar would simply emerge vertically from the substrate. With an internal filter, it would avoid the wire, and also the filter being in the viewing area: One of the internals would run on the filter/back end of the tank, with a spray bar. The second internal filter would output into the PVC and either a spraybar or just flow would emerge from the substrate on the viewing end. Finally with an AC30, I would fix the intake to the PVC line running the length of the tank, so water was brought to the filter from the far side of the tank. Would the AC30 be able to prime with this setup? It would essentially be the reverse of the other setups.

I'm sure it will ultimately require some experimentation during leak testing, but I'd like to have a good plan so I can avoid buying multiple filters I won't be able to use. The cost of any of these options is within my budget ($30-60), but I'd prefer to keep it rather affordable.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I where you id just buy an under gravel filter.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerileous View Post
    Small canister like the SunSun 603, Finnex 360 or ZooMed 501, setting the outflow on one end and the inflow on the other. I've never owned a canister and I'm concerned about quality with these models. Also if I place them on the floor, will they be powerful enough to pump up to the tank?
    Any canister will have the maximum pump height clearly documented. On the small ones that's usually 3, 4 feet. If quality is a concern you could pay significantly more and get an eheim 2211.
    In any case these will eventually filter the tank.

Here is where things get interesting. I'm seriously considering plumbing under the substrate with PVC for any of these methods. I'm just thinking of running one PVC pipe to aide in circulation. It would be most superfluous with a canister, but still I would avoid running tubing across my dining table. The return for the filter would come out the far side (the viewing end) and a spray-bar would simply emerge vertically from the substrate. With an internal filter, it would avoid the wire, and also the filter being in the viewing area: One of the internals would run on the filter/back end of the tank, with a spray bar. The second internal filter would output into the PVC and either a spraybar or just flow would emerge from the substrate on the viewing end. Finally with an AC30, I would fix the intake to the PVC line running the length of the tank, so water was brought to the filter from the far side of the tank. Would the AC30 be able to prime with this setup? It would essentially be the reverse of the other setups.

I'm sure it will ultimately require some experimentation during leak testing, but I'd like to have a good plan so I can avoid buying multiple filters I won't be able to use. The cost of any of these options is within my budget ($30-60), but I'd prefer to keep it rather affordable.
    Any hob would distract from the minimalistic look you're trying to achieve.
    Have you considered a mattenfilter? Would work well in the well planted low current setup that a gourami would love and all you'd see is a single power cord.

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmax View Post
    If I where you id just buy an under gravel filter.
    I wouldn't. These things clog very easily on planted tanks. Also we now have much better filtration options.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with everything that talldutchie said. Especially the part about avoiding the under gravel filter. A canister seems like the way to go for this setup. Most of them are designed to be placed under the tank.

I'd also like to add that this sounds like an interesting project. I would very much like to see the finished product.

-S

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm curious what dimensions you are thinking about? 90cm long, 20 wide, 25 high? (or 36"x9"x10") or something? Just thinking in practical terms, wont it get in the way if you have guests over and have nowhere to put bowls of food in the middle of the table to be shared? you dont want it to be so high that you cant talk to the person across the table, but at the same time you want it to be high enough that youre not going to be looking at the light fixture or tubing or a lid. I think the tank should be atleast 20cm wide, unless youre planting all the way up to the glass than you'll need space to plant enough plants that you cant see through to the other side. (atleast this is how I envision a heavily planted tank)

I'm running a similar 80L (20gallon) tank, 120cmL x 20W x 38H (4ftx9"x14"). I'm also trying to heavily plant the tank (only just finished cycling and havnt found some particular plants I want yet) and get a decent creek-like flow. I have so far gone with an Aquaclear50 filter for filtration, It's the biggest one that I could fit the side of my tank. This doesnt provide the flow that I want. once the plants reach the surface thy considerably slow down the current. I fill the tank up higher than the outlet of the AC filter, which cause the water to flow mostly across the surface but at about 90CM it starts to circle back. I dont think have in inlet and outlet on either side of the tank is necessary for the tank to flow, all I plan to do is put a little powerhead in next to the filter.

I'm not too sure about your pvc idea, It could be worth trying.

I think the best way you could do it is using as many glass fixtures you can to make the finish product look the best. I wouldnt hang a HOB on the tank, I'd go with a cannister and get some glass fittings to stick in the tank. I'd hide everything you could out of sight and something like an aquasky light.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Finnex 360 on my 9gal tank. It will not pump above 60cm (top of filter to top water level of tank), and the closer to that 60cm you get the less flow you will get from the canister. I have mine sitting behind the tank and it does a great job for its size.
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

0 Not allowed!
    A long and low tank does offer unique possibilities. With lighting on brackets you could do a heavily planted setup and have plants grow out of the top. It would also allow to be set up as a stream tank with little to no plants just rocks and algae. Run it at room temperature and you could do a shoal of a riverine corydoras.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow thanks for all of the replies! Kind of unexpected that this got dug up the day I was able to get back online. While this tank is still on the dream list, I won't be able to afford it for the time being. I did recently get a good deal on an Aqueon tank that is 2 feet wide, 8 inches deep, and about a foot high. I've started a planning thread here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=116428

0 Not allowed!
    I was just gonna say - this thread was originally posted back in 10/13 - got no responses and Ratsmax resurrected it LOL
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    ****! I should know to check the date when newbies post to a thread. Sorry ppl!