· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Hyphessobrycon columbianus issue?

0 Not allowed!
    Good Morning

I've got a question for all this morning. I've got a couple of mature columbian tetra that have black areas on the caudal peduncle and caudal fin area. Other than the black area, they seem fine, eat well, and otherwise appear healthy. Searching the internet does not turn up much information or any definitive answers. Don't know if it's something to be concerned with or not? It appears to be a colorization of the scale or surface area. It started with a small black spot. Tank water temperature is 78 degrees F, 0 NH3, 0 NO2-, 10-15 NO3-, pH 7 in moderately hard water or dH 4 in a 30 gallon tank. 'Tis a bit ugly, just don't what it is or how to treat it or if I should.

You're input would be greatly appreciated. I've never seen anything quite like it before.

Thanks so much.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    What do you feed them? to much of certain elements including melatonin can cause black spots.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    Hey William. Staples foods are new life spectrum small fish formula and omega one veggie micro pellets. Fish are fed once per day in the morning and I don't over feed.

It does NOT look like black ich or diplopstomiasis. The black areas are more like small smudges that grow over a period of time. I've had the tetra for about 6 months now (14 of them) and 2 are affected. Other than the black areas, nothing else appears wrong.

Thanks for you input.

0 Not allowed!
    In that case it might be ammonia burns. Black spot usually occur when fish are recovering from the burns. This means that the water quality is good now but that you might have had a spike in the recent past. If this is the case thne you need to monitor and make sure you keep your water quality up.

0 Not allowed!
    I want to add that there are many other possible reasons for this as well ranging from melanoma to harmless afflictions.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks William. I don't believe the cause was ammonia poisoning\burns as none of the other have been affected thus far. There was no reddening of the gills or any other signs of ammonia poisoning.

But I'm not perfect. It's possible I could have missed dosing dechlorinator or rinsed filter\biomedia in plain tap water at some point, but I doubt it. To the best of my knowledge the city where I live does not use chloramine, but I'll verify that.

Oh, could have happened before I bought them, but there was no sign at the time. ???

0 Not allowed!
    A photo would help. I have probably seen this too, fortunately very rarely. Seeing a photo would help us isolate possible causes, perhaps.

BTW, if you forget to use dechlorinator and if you have chlorine in your tap water, you will notice this very fast; fish will within minutes be at the surface gasping. Chlorione burns the gills fast, and that would occur long before burn marks elsewhere.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    BTW, if you forget to use dechlorinator and if you have chlorine in your tap water, you will notice this very fast; fish will within minutes be at the surface gasping. Chlorione burns the gills fast, and that would occur long before burn marks elsewhere.

Byron.
    Hey Byron-

Yes. There was never any of that. No other signs of distress. I'll try to get a photo posted as soon as I can. Thanks.