· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Please Help..!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Friends!

I have a 80 gallons i.e. 303 liters of Acrylic tank (SOBO Imported 5 feet tank). I have 2 Red Belly Pacu's with Parrot and Oscars. One day i noticed that the small Pacu have got some serious fin rot, possibly of bullying. I removed the Pacu and kept it into a hospital tank and treated my Pacu. My Pacu recovered well and all fins are back. But while in hospital tank he hardly eats anything and he kept on swimming in one corner of the tank.. I tried to put my recovered pacu back in the main tank. But the moment i put her back other fish attacked on him.. I tried to keep for some more time but other fishes were trying to eat him.. I immediately took him out and put him back into the hospital tank.. He seems very much afraid and don't eat anything..

Please help what to do....???

fish.jpg

Thanks,
    Bhupesh

2. Default

3 Not allowed!
    The tank is too small for two pacu's and i don't know how many oscars and parrots you got but i think you should reconsider your current stock.
    15 Gallon Tarantula tank - Completed. - 1x Lasiodora parahybana
    55 Gallon South-America tank - Neverending. - 10x Nannostomus trifasciatus, 4x Corydoras aeneus, 2x Megalechis thoracata, 2x Acarichthys heckelii
    15 Triassic tank - Planning started. - Possibly a healthy group of Triops cancriformis

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much for your swift revert..

I am actually waiting for an upgrade, as i have ordered 300 gallons water tank and it will take about 40 days for it to arrive.. So i believe 2 Pacu's, 5 parrots, 2 Oscars, 8 tetras and 6 lake malawai african chiclids will be fine for the 300 gallons tank.. But until the new tank arrives what should i do??.. All the other fishes are very healthy and happy.. i do weekly water changes and the water chemistry is fine. Its just with my recovered Pacu who is in the hospital tank. The moment I put it back into the main tank, parrots, oscar and the other pacu attacks him.. So should i keep it in the hospital tank until i get the bigger tank...??

Please advise...

Thanks in advance...!!

3 Not allowed!
    Your current issue is that you have quite a few territorial fish. Once you remove a fish, it's social status in the tank immediately starts dropping, until after a certain amount of time it no longer is a resident in the hierarchy, but a complete stranger. That is why all the others are attacking the newcomer. You could try completely rearranging the tank's decorations to break up all existing territories and see if that helps. How big is your hospital tank?
    Other than that, I hope you are by now aware that there are several other underlying issues with your tank. You appear to be heavily stocked, or at least will be very soon. What are your water parameters(ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) in parts per million? How often and how much water do you change?
    It is admirable for you to attempt to upgrade to accommodate your fish, but the reality is pacu just don't fit in all but the very biggest private aquariums. "Red belly pacu" is a name for several species of pacu, all of which will grow massive and one will reach 1 m in length. And this length is not composed of an eel like body either. Pacu are very thick and deep bodied.

2 Not allowed!
    I asked myself the same question - how large is the "victim" and how large is the QT? Do you have a cycled filter on this tank? Obviously you don't appear to have a choice at this point but you're doing the best you can.

It's when I read posts like this that I think - when someone wants a fish(s), it's so important to know their potential size full grown and make sure the tank purchased is big enough for that size - sometimes people just can't afford or have room for a large enough tank. And researching compatibility between different species is also so important prior to stocking a tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhupeshkhanna View Post
    Thank you so much for your swift revert..

I am actually waiting for an upgrade, as i have ordered 300 gallons water tank and it will take about 40 days for it to arrive.. So i believe 2 Pacu's, 5 parrots, 2 Oscars, 8 tetras and 6 lake malawai african chiclids will be fine for the 300 gallons tank.

Have you ever seen an adult Pacu? A zoo over here has a group of adult pacu, biggest individual is 90cm from nose to tail and I guess it weighs more than 20kg . Now it takes quite some time to grow to that size but a healthy indidivual should have reached 35cm by the time they're 2 years old. Pacu tend to do best with a group of their own kind and not with parrots and oscars. I think with this mix in a tank this small you're going to have continuous problems.

Pacu is also an invasive species that's causing problems in waters around the world.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for your advise and suggestions..

Please suggest should i return my Pacu to my pet store or my new (In Shipment) 300 gallons / 1200 liters aquarium will be fine?? Should i return only the sick (now recovered ) Pacu, or should i return both of them..
    Please advise..

@madagascariensis - I have never got my water tested but I think its fine because all my other fishes are very active and healthy.. I do a weekly 15-20% water change.. I do shiphon the debris from the gravel.. And I do wash the filter sponge(1sponge at a time) once in a month.. I Have 3 filters (2 under gravel and 1 hanging internal filter).

And I make sure i keep everything in place to maintain a good water quality.. I am in New Delhi, India and this limits me to get the water tested as normally the small nearby LPS does not have the kits with them to test water.. I will surely go to a big shop this weekend and get the water tested. I'll buy a water testing kit myself as well..

Thanks
    Bhupesh

0 Not allowed!
    It would depend on the dimensions of the aquarium. There's a load of other really nice things you could do with a 1200 liters tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bhupeshkhanna View Post
    @madagascariensis - I have never got my water tested but I think its fine because all my other fishes are very active and healthy.. I do a weekly 15-20% water change.. I do shiphon the debris from the gravel.. And I do wash the filter sponge(1sponge at a time) once in a month.. I Have 3 filters (2 under gravel and 1 hanging internal filter).

And I make sure i keep everything in place to maintain a good water quality.. I am in New Delhi, India and this limits me to get the water tested as normally the small nearby LPS does not have the kits with them to test water.. I will surely go to a big shop this weekend and get the water tested. I'll buy a water testing kit myself as well..

Thanks
    Bhupesh
    Even though with a larger tank, maintaining good water parameters is easier, it's still dangerous to not know what your parameters are. And when you don't know what they are, doing small water changes like that won't help much if you have elevated ammonia or any of your parameters is too high.

I hope when you clean your sponge each month, you are doing it in used tank water because that's how you preserve existing bacteria.

Getting your own test kit is a great idea - may I suggest you do not get test strips - get a liquid kit.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @talldutchie - The new aquarium dimensions are 8(Length) x 2(width) x 3(height) all in feet...

@imma24 - Thanks for your advise i'll buy the liquid kit... And yes i do clean the sponge with tank water only to preserve the healthy bacteria.. and i clean one sponge at a time once a month...

Thanks to all for your advise and suggestions..

@All - My Pacu is doing better in the hospital tank.. Now he comes out from the hide and swim in the tank.. though still he does not eat.. May be he gets much better with time...!! But today i have seen one of my Oscar is very lethargic and is staying mostly at one place only.. he did not eat as well today (though he ate last night).. I am 100% sure its not bullying or fighting at all.. as i am in front of my aquarium most of the time in a day.. Oscar has no scars, no fin rots, nothing bad at all on his body... Don't know whats going on...Please advise what to do.. I know tank is small enough to house all these fishes but I have to wait at-least 40 - 45 days to get the 8 feet tank.. till then what to do?? as i don't want to lose my fishes.. They are beautiful and so friendly.. they are so responsive.. You know my oscar's let me pet them.. I call them and they come at the top of the tank and i pet them and when i stop, they just go back ... please help..... please advise what to do until i get my new big tank..

Thanks in advance...
    Bhupesh