· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Triassic Park - a Triops Diary and How To Care for Trops (Tadpole Shrimp)

0 Not allowed!
    Quick introduction. I discovered a triop kits at a local toy store and thought why not sounds fun. what went from being a for fun adventure has developed into triop central command. i've got a hatchery, a playpen, timeout bowls, and the final tank where they will eventually call home.

Triops are not hard to care for, being omnivorous they well eat just about anything, including other triops, so make sure to keep up on their feeding. Do some research and follow the instructions that come from your Triops kits.

I will be updating this day to day as my triops grow. But i originally began this Thursday September 26th about 11pm eastern canada/us time. I am now about Day 6 in triop care so i will be back tracking for the next few posts until i come to the present.

--------------

To start i went on a hunt for the right type of water. It is recommended for the hatching water to be mineral or Spring water. Do your homework some spring water is actually bottled tap water. do not use Deionized water. Tap water is fine for the final tank your Triops will call home. I currently am using a 10 gal tank. you can use anything from a betta bowl to a 10 gal tank. any more will really just be too much for these guys.

Far warning Triops only have a 2 month life span. Warm water is a must, it cannot be below 72*F, buy a heater should you be using a large tank or where you're growing them gets to cold. try to keep Temperature flux at a 2 degree minimum. too cold and they can't molt.

Failure to molt is a common cause of death as they get trapped inside their exo-skeleton the warmer the water the easier it will be. but don't make it too hot, 80*F should really be you maximum. But that also depends on the species of Triop you have, there are 3 popular species

Triops longicaudatus (commonly called longtail tadpole shrimp, American tadpole shrimp or rice tadpole shrimp) is a freshwater crustacean of the order Notostraca, resembling a miniature horseshoe crab. (usually the species you get in grow your own dinosaur kits)

Triops australiensis: Triops australiensis are split into two subspecies, T. australiensis australiensis, or shield shrimp, from the deserts of Central Australia and T. australiensis sakalavus found in Madagascar. (T. Australiensis australiensis are rare to get outside of australia as there is a strict no-export of wild life)

Triops cancriformis or horseshoe shrimp, are one of the most common and thus, next to T. longicaudatus, the most greatly known and studied species. They are spread throughout most of Europe, Africa, Asia, as well as in Israel and in the Maltese Islands.

these are the most common species. other include:

Triops granarius are found in temporary ponds on every continent except the Americas. They have an elongated body and a fairly long flap, especially among females. Unlike most other species, males can make up to 40% of a population. Males and females are easily distinguished by color as the females are light brown in color while the males are dark brown, near black.

Triops newberryi, or desert tadpole shrimp, are found along the west coast of North America in the states of Washington, Oregon and California and to a lesser extent, Nevada and Mexico. In the Coachella Valley of California they are found in great numbers, bred to control the number mosquitoes. T. newberryi are small in size with an elongated light-brown body and a short flap in a marbled pattern.

the following are rare species that don't have very much information on them:

Triops emeritensis

Triops gadensis

Triops gadensis

Most if not all species eggs are available online on various sites that sell triop eggs.

-----------

once you have your eggs follow the instruction provided. fill your cup about an couple inches with spring water, let it sit for 24 hours with a mixture of natural and artificial light (i put mine in the window with the sun shining and moved it under a lamp for most of the night, for 15 hours). place your cup onto a black sheet of paper, this will help you see any hatchlings as they are small and white when born.

Place eggs in the center of the cup, try not to cause the water to shift to keep the eggs from sticking to the walls. They are naturally sticky when wet and will eventually stick to the walls, make sure to check on it from to time, add water with a pipette (usually provided with a kit) to drip water on the eggs that stuck to the wall as the water evaporated. add 1 pebble of Lime stone (kits vary so if you have limestone read your instructions)

Tap water only works fine if it sit in open air for a couple days so the Chlorine evaporates, or use water conditioner for fish. Check your local water for Chloramine it will not evaporate like Chlorine will. tap water is not recommended without the use of water conditioner.

now wait 20 hours

20 hours pass this is Day 1, and you check your cup, you see white specs moving around, those are your triops and possibly some Fairy shrimp and daphnia as both of these species have similar eggs that can be dried and dehydrated like triops eggs.

Don't worry Fairy shrimp and Daphnia will become food for your growing triops so they can stay in the cup. Triop eggs can take a week to hatch so you may end up with various stages of growth in one cup. Fair warning Triops eat anything smaller than them so babies could become snacks.
    Day 2 some of the white specs start to take on a familiar shape and seem to shimmy around the cup those would be the triops anything else is prolly food-to-be

Day 3 is the earliest you should start feeding them. kits come with Baby food and Adult food. Follow the instructions you have. add a mix of baby food an water until the water becomes dark green. Use a bottle cap as triop babies don't eat that much. take your pipette and drop a drop of food above each triop you see, or if you have several drip it in areas where they ostly are and/or on individuals.

Day 4 babies have grown and now start to resemble the adult shape, this is the earliest you should find debris on the bottom of the cut carefully use the pipette to remove it. (i recommend checking the pipette each time you suck up the debris, you might have a baby caught in it, if you do just carefully put the water and baby back into the cup)

Day 5 feed the triops baby food in the morning and in the afternoon introduce them to the adult food, crush 2 adult food pellet provided or fresh water fish pellets into a fine power, then use 1/4 of it to feed the triops. if they don't eat it all, add less, if they eat it all add more.

proceed until day 7

Day 7 stop feeding them the baby food.

Day 8 time to move the triops to a larger bowl/tank (betta bowls work fine) don't fret if you happen to loose some triops along the way, Triops are cannibalistic and inot fed enough will take a smaller triop as lunch.

Day 10 and beyond maintain your tank, remove shed skin and other debris.increase feeding while ensuring food is consumed in the same day.

tank water becomes cloudy change water using the same spring water used when you first hatched the triops. if you use a large gal tank and use tap water. make sure new water is same temperature as the tank. DON"T drain the tank completely just remove a fraction of the water at a time.

You don't need to use a filter. if you choose too, under gravel filters work best. Sand is preferred as its easier for the triops to lay eggs, and you will have thousands of them.

----

Molting, its one of the main causes of deaths for triops, as they get older it gets harder to molt. its fun to watch (mine are too young but i watched youtube videos)

Triop deaths - it is sad i know but they only live for 2 months. but don't fret when the last of your triops die drain the tank and dry out the sand, collect the eggs. need to watch carefully as the eggs are no bigger than this period --> . <---

eggs are collected? well what are you waiting for hatch the next generation of triops.

----

Triop snacks to give include shrimp (freeze dried or live), carrot piece (yea i know weird), fish, blood worms(freeze dried or live). seen one video where a guy gave his triops a Chicken ribcage from his dinner to munch on, seemed like they loved the treat.

-----

that is your care guide. i'm learning as i go, but as you can see i've done my homework. triops are not hard to raise. following posts will be my step by step diary on my triops status, it's a roller coaster of excitement.
    -----
    My Living Transformers
    Mirage - 2 yr old - Blue and white Veil Tail, with white frosted fin tips
    The Troops - T. Longicaudatus (Tadpole Shrimp) Second Generation

0 Not allowed!
    Day 1 Sept 27

IMG008.jpg
    (image is from day 5)

used a tuppaware container for the hatching bowl. 20 hours had past and....

They hatched!

i went from wondering about a filter to going without, set up the main tank and conditioned the hatching pool (cup of water obviously) to...

24 hours in and i see 3 lil white specs two are skimming around and one is kinda bobbing around, not sure i have 2 shrimp and one triop or 3 triops and Bob (as i'll call 'im for now) may have just hatched while the other 2 may have some hours on him)

but i'm so excited.

i tried hatching sea monkeys once but failed and seeing these 3 guys just made my day. i was so afraid i did something wrong as i couldn't sleep with the warming lap on 24 hours, i was lucky that my room temp keeps water at around 76-80*F, lil warm and i was afraid it was too warm at one point.

Here's hoping i get a few more hatchlings in the next couple days.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 1 Sept 27

IMG008.jpg
    (image is from day 5)

used a tuppaware container for the hatching bowl. 20 hours had past and....

They hatched!

i went from wondering about a filter to going without, set up the main tank and conditioned the hatching pool (cup of water obviously) to...

24 hours in and i see 3 lil white specs two are skimming around and one is kinda bobbing around, not sure i have 2 shrimp and one triop or 3 triops and Bob (as i'll call 'im for now) may have just hatched while the other 2 may have some hours on him)

but i'm so excited.

i tried hatching sea monkeys once but failed and seeing these 3 guys just made my day. i was so afraid i did something wrong as i couldn't sleep with the warming lap on 24 hours, i was lucky that my room temp keeps water at around 76-80*F, lil warm and i was afraid it was too warm at one point.

Here's hoping i get a few more hatchlings in the next couple days.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 2 sept 28

The count is now from 3 to 9 and it's only been a day and a half since i put the eggs in water. so far this was a good batch of eggs. can't wait for them to grow bigger
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 3 sept 28

48 hours in the number is now at 16 hatchlings, possibly more. and it seems i may have 2 daphnia amongst the crowd
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 3 sept 28

48 hours in the number is now at 16 hatchlings, possibly more. and it seems i may have 2 daphnia amongst the crowd
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 4 Sept 29

Sad news, i lost 3 of my hatchlings i think one being a fairy shrimp, so my count is now 13 maybe 12 as i keep counting and it bounces from 12 to 13 so i may just have 12.

i've begun to feed them as i don't want any of the older ones to feed on their younger siblings. here's hoping i keep the 12-13 i have maybe gain more as there are still some eggs floating about

same day several hours later

Just watched one of the larger/older triops eat it's smaller sibling......it was fascinating and disturbing to watch. i think i'm going to call the larger one Grimlock because it is the king of the bowl right now...just wish it wouldn't eat its siblings....that's what the fleas and fairies are for.

so the count is now 11 instead of the 12 in the last update.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 5 Sept 30

more sad news the oldest triop kept eating the babies my count is now 5+ (as there still unhatched eggs floating around)

After witnessing the biggest grab a new hours old hatchling for a snack i decided to move the two larger ones to a betta bowl. dry.gif so that the remaining infants can grow up and not be snack food.

i am feeding them but i swear Grimlock is a glutton. so he and Slag are in their own bowl for now.

here's the first baby photo of my babies. Grimlock and Slag. Grimlock is i believe one of the first to hatch after the first 20 hours since egg placement. Slag i believe may be a day younger give or take.

IMG007.jpg

Size comparison:
    Slag is half the size of Grimlock

due to their size and the colour of the hatching cup i cant get a good photo of the remaining babies but the two larger ones;

Snarl and Sludge are roughly half the size of Slag

Swoop the smallest being roughly a day old and a itty bitty spec of cute
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 6 Oct 1

I moved Swoop, Snarl and Sludge to a glass fish bowl as i found new babies in the hatching pool.

Swoop Snarl and Sludge are now all the exact same size, i guess swoop had a growth spurt.

in the hatching pool today i found 7 new babies. bringing my count once again to 12 triops and with this method of moving the larger triops out of the hatching pool i find they don't eat the babies.

Grmlock and Slag are still enjoying each other company and i don't mean for dinner either. Grimlock grew over night and you can now see his head sheild clearly, figure few more days and he and Slag will be ready for moving to Triassic Park formerly called Dinobot isle.

-------

For those interested in doing the same transfer of triops i recommend a large scoop or spoon(small ladle preferably). depending on the size of cup you use to hatch the eggs. i used a small but deep tupperware container and used a measuring cup to carefully move the triops. preferably wait until the ones you want moved are at the surface and carefully draw the water and triops into the scoop, this will take some patience. don't let the water rush into the scoop too fast as it might kill them. then slowly add them and the water to the new bowl.

if you accidentally scooped up a tiny baby i recommend using the pipette supplied with your kits and gently suck the baby (being those micro tiny white triop) and enough water into the pipette. CHECK the pipette to see if the baby is in fact still moving around, then just place the pipette into the hatching cup water and slowly empty the pipette. follow up quickly to find the baby you placed back to see if it's alright.

What i classify as "babies" are the spec size triops that don't have their eyes fully developed, basically the ones that are only a few hours to a day old. if you see the eyes and some colour in their body those are not "babies" but as i call them "toddlers". when you notice that they're starting to look as a triop should i call that the "pre-teen". Once you start seeing their sheilds without the need of a light to see i call that the "teen" stage (for the first to hatch ones this would be about day 4-5, time to introduce adult food, follow your care instructions). then after that will be the adult stage and well i don't need to explain what that would look like. but here's a photo anyway

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Keep in mind i don't recommend this for common practice in moving babies, only for emergencies.

this method could also be used if the hatching cup becomes too cloudy and you can't get the ph levels to go down and you need to remove some of the water or add more oxygen if the pipette bubbling doesn't seem to work. but as i said ONLY FOR EMERGENCIES. leave things be if everything is fine.

I expect to be finding more babies over the next few days. so far hearing eggs taking a week to finish hatching seems to be true, so don't get rid of the eggs after the first 3-5 days you might still get more. just move the older ones to a larger bowl because anything smaller than them is food.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 7 OCt 2

Good news everyone i have more babies, i had to carefully move the babies from the hatchery to a more cleaner (meaning 2 parts clean water 1 part old water) "Playpen" as i'm calling it because the hatchery is getting gross, and guess what when i originally counted 7 there are in fact 13 new babies. seems like everytime i removed a baby two seem to take its place.

i left the eggs in the old hatchery since that seems to be good water conditions to get more triops from the remaining eggs.

another day or so i should be able to transfer swoop, snarl and sludge into the betta bowl with Grimlock and Slag...hopefully they will be big enough Grimlock won't dine on them.

possibly next week the Dinobots can finally call Triassic Park home by then i should have the T-rex bubbler bought and installed.
    -----
    My Living Transformers