· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Question New cannister filter and cloudy water?? Aquaria Gurus give me your thoughts!

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a Cascade 1000 and it has been up since Saturday 10/12/2013. The tank is 55gal with 5 fancy goldfish (my wife's tank). When I switched out the HOB, I took one of the filter bags that holds carbon, emptied it, and put it in the cannister filter thinking it would help keep the tank cycled. The water is cloudy; you can see through it, but has a white cloudiness to it. Could this be bacteria? The tank does have a strong smell. Water chemistry is good. Very hard water with constant pH of 8.2.

In case it is just fine particulate in the water, my thought is to add a 30 ppi sponge and more filter media??? Any suggestions.
    "The manner with which we walk through life is each man's most important responsibility, and we should remember this with every new sunrise."
    --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW

1 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you did not transfer enough seeded (cycled) filter media into your new filter and your tank is trying to cycle again. What you are seeing is likely a bacteria bloom

Check your parameters daily and complete enough of a water change to keep the water safe. Basically, you are cycling with fish. There is a link in my sig that explains how to cycle with fish if you would need more information
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, keep an eye on ammonia just in case. But the cloudiness is a bacterial bloom, and this is common in new tanks, or when the filter media is cleaned or changed. It is harmless in itself, provided the nitrifying bacteria are able to cope with the ammonia.

Don't try to clear the water by some means; more water changes will make it worse, this simply has to clear on its own. I have had tanks clear in a day, others took several weeks. As long as ammonia doesn't rise, no issues here. Do not use any clarifier, these are bad for fish.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Jeff View Post
    I bought a Cascade 1000 and it has been up since Saturday 10/12/2013. The tank is 55gal with 5 fancy goldfish (my wife's tank). When I switched out the HOB, I took one of the filter bags that holds carbon, emptied it, and put it in the cannister filter thinking it would help keep the tank cycled - What I am reading is you figured an empty media bag would cycle your tank?. The water is cloudy; you can see through it, but has a white cloudiness to it. Could this be bacteria? The tank does have a strong smell. Water chemistry is good. Very hard water with constant pH of 8.2.

In case it is just fine particulate in the water, my thought is to add a 30 ppi sponge and more filter media??? Any suggestions.
    +1 with what Cliff said - do you have a test kit to monitor your water parameters? We are talking ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. If you could put actual media into your new filter that will help a lot, unless the media from the old filter has dried out.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Chemistry is fine: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 40 nitrates. This is my wife's tank and the water has cleared some; however, there is a film on the inside glass of the tank. Algae? It isn't green...
    "The manner with which we walk through life is each man's most important responsibility, and we should remember this with every new sunrise."
    --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW

2 Not allowed!
    Chemistry is fine: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 40 nitrates. This is my wife's tank and the water has cleared some; however, there is a film on the inside glass of the tank. Algae? It isn't green...
    Use one of those sponge scrapers on the inside glass. I do this at every weekly water change, it helps prevent algae from starting. Not saying this is algae, no idea, but cleaning the front glass is a regular task.

You will want to get those nitrates down, below 20 ppm, preferably at or below 10 ppm.

Byron.

1 Not allowed!
    Chemistry is fine: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 40 nitrates.
    +1 with Byron - nitrates should really be 20ppm or under prior to a water change - anything above that consistently is an issue.

I had higher nitrates at one point, despite my water changes. I discovered a lot of rotting food in the hoses of my filter (brine shrimp to be exact) - after I rinsed them out, the level went down.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in