· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Salt Creep and salt levels.

0 Not allowed!
    First off:

I'm a little annoyed with my Instant Ocean reef mix. I've been adding the recomned level of of salt, 1/2 a cup per gallon, and only getting about 1.019 in my levels. Its pretty constant at that. So, it was suggested to me that I either top off with Salt water to help boost it up, etc. So on my top offs I have been. Still getting 1.019. Today while mixing my salt for tomorrows change, I had to add an extra cup and a half to get it up to 1.023 just to get it so that When I mix it into the salt it will make it go up slowly a few points at a time...

Does anyone else have issues with Instant Ocean and needing more mix for your water? I'm thinking of switching to another brand just so I know what I'm dealing with on a more constant basis.

Also, I've noticed I've been getting a lot of Salt creep on my tanks hood. I've got the skimmer, and HOB refudge. the Skimmer doesn't cause any bubbles, but my HOB refudge is. Is it salt crep affecting my Salinity?

0 Not allowed!
    I never follow the instruction on the container for how much salt to use. I think they are listed just as guidelines. I just add, mix, and test until I get to my target salinity level of 1.026. I have never found any of those instructions on any brand to be accurate enough to be usable, and this is made even worse if you are not using RO water. I did not find instant ocean reef crystals any better of worse than a any other brand that I have used

Are you using a refactermeter or swing arm hydrometer ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Using a refrac(thats calibrated). I got a swing arm before my frac came, and that thing had results all over the place.

Using RO water as well. Thanks for the input!

0 Not allowed!
    I would not get too worried about the exact amount the container says to add. Just make sure you are completely mixing the salt into the water and trust your test results
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I use IO Reef mix and get consistent results...once you find the amount you need to mix up a batch at your desired concentration, you should be able to use very close that same amount every time, even if it is more than they suggest on the bucket...if not, I would change brands because if they can't be consistent in their mix, you are likely missing levels of nutrients as well - which could be very important unless you are testing and dosing everything.