· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which livebearer species can crossbreed?

0 Not allowed!
    Ive always wondered which livebearers can crossbreed. I want to cross a sailfin molly with a swordtail but don't think it would work. Has anybody tryed this? Have any of you crossbreed any livebearers?

2 Not allowed!
    Platy/Swordtail
    Endler/Guppy
    Molly/Guppy
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

2 Not allowed!
    Look at their genuses. The "big four" of livebearers in the hobby(guppy, Molly, platy, swordtail) belong to either the genus poecilia or the genus xiphophorus. Those within a genus should be able to crossbreed. I would not recommend doing so though. In my opinion(yes, I said in my opinion, i hope this thread isn't going to turn into another endless debate), there are enough hybrids out there in the hobby already messing with species purity for the serious aquarists to which it really matters.

0 Not allowed!
    i wasn't planning on selling the offspring of them if i did this. I would keep them so i don't ruin others blood lines. I was just wondering what they would look like. Probably will just keep breeding swordtails. Thought it would be sweet if u could make a swordtail with a sailfin dorsal fin on it. I don't think a guppy and molly would cross naturally cuz they look very different from eachother. I don't think they would breed but don't know for sure. Thanks for your help.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    There are people that have crossed the guppies and mollies, and call them either gollys or muppys... which you could google for if you were curious about how they look

0 Not allowed!
    thats sweet

0 Not allowed!
    If you guys have any pics of your hybrid livebearers i would like to see them. Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    i think variutus platys r a swordtail/platy hybrid. Maybe i could make a new species lol

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by many swordtails View Post
    i think variutus platys r a swordtail/platy hybrid. Maybe i could make a new species lol
    Lol. It's going to be a hybrid, not a species. And besides, all hybrid livebearers I know of have ended up sterile.

0 Not allowed!
    As others have noted, breeding across species within the same genus can be achieved in the aquarium. Breeding across genera has been said to be impossible due to the differing structure of the sexual organs, such as the left or right bending gonopodium matching the female's left or right opening, different shapes, etc, which varies with genera.

The Molly and Guppy are interesting. The genus Poecilia holds several species of molly as well as the guppy and Endler. A number of ichthyologists have recently proposed that the guppy/Endler do not share certain specific traits with the other species and should be separated. Poeser et al. (2005) suggested re-validating Acanthophacelus, originally erected as a genus by Eigenmann in 1907 and subsequently deemed a synonym for Poecilia, as a subgenus, and Schories et al. (2009) follows this but proposes that the entire genus Poecilia is in need of revision. I don't know just how far this work has progressed, but both fish are still shown as valid in Poecilia.

It has been noted that those species that do cross in the aquarium, such as the platy and swordtails within the genus Xiphophorus, never do so in their habitat, even where species live in the same waters. There is no evidence of natural hybrids in nature. There are several reasons I won't go into now.

Byron.