· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The two are back in their sitting areas now, so there livelihood lasted only a few hours. I guess the best I can do now is probably another water change.

0 Not allowed!
    You are not at all anywhere near being overstocked in a 55g.

The rubberlip pleco is likely Chaetostoma sp. (L402), check the photos here:
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=407
    This one gets 5-6 inches; some other species can reach 10+ inches. Pleco are waste factories, though one of these small ones in a 55g can't be the reason for such high nitrates, given your water changes and substrate cleaning described.

Check the tap water, this is important; knowing the nitrates (partially or perhaps totally) are in the source water is significant to dealing with this.

Wood will be OK for the pleco and shouldn't affect water chemistry much. However, we need to know the GH, KH and pH of your tap water; get this from the municipal water supply people, probably on their website, or call them. Coral will dissolve slowly and increase GH and pH, which may be no issue (you have livebearers that need moderately hard water with a basic (= above 7) pH) but we need to know the source water data to determine if this will or won't matter. The pH is 8.2 you said in the tank, and if we can lower this a tad (for the loaches) it wouldn't hurt, but I am not suggesting major water fiddling, just possibly removing the coral. Let's see the numbers first.

You can test tap water pH with your kit, but be sure to out-gas the CO2 first. Do this by vigorously shaking some fresh tap water before testing, or letting it sit out overnight.

It is quite amazing how beneficial a water change is. Whenever i see possible trouble, one of the first things I do (after running some water tests) is to do a major water change. I doubt there is a situation where this is not going to benefit. Fish are so closely tied to the water chemistry, much more significantly than any land animal breathing air.

Byron.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the late response. Well, I did the water changes as you suggested and make it more of a routine now to ensure I do it on a timely basis. I added the coral rock in there and did some rearranging as of the past few weeks. All of the loaches seem lively as ever and occasionally will see them resting somewhere. I've come to the conclusion that, that is exactly what it is. I think my loaches are just lazy and will "rest" after moving about poking into things for a few hours a day, then get back up. The skinny loach I had seems to be doing better as well and all the fish are also well.

Let me know if you agree as well or if you think this is not normal behavior at all for yo yo loaches.