· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Treatment of Ick of GLO tetras

0 Not allowed!
    Hi i'm new to AC forum and have discovered that my newly acquired Glo Tetra's (those neon orange and red tetras that seem to be familiar to black skirt tetras sold at chain pet stores) have ICK. Luckily for me these tetras are in their own tank (a soil based planted 10 gal tank that I let cycle for two months before decided to add any fish to it). They have been in the tank for about ten days now and this afternoon I noticed the white dots on one of the fish. Since they were all in the same tank when purchased and are all in the same tank now I can expect that the rest will soon be developing the spots soon.

I read the article that was sticky in Fish Diseases regarding ICK and was going to try the salt method of treatment. Unfortunately for me I live in a location that has no local fish store and the only pet stores on in the area are already closed for the weekend. So ICK-treatment meds are not an option for me for a few days.

Has anyone treated tetra's (black skirt or Glo's or any similar type) with a salt treatment and could offer advice

Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Not allowed!
    Do not use salt with tetras, ever. The detrimental effect of salt only adds even more stress, weakening the fish, because of how it affects their physiology and internal functions.

Heat works, just raise the temperature to 86F or a bit higher. I do this with a partial water change, raising the temp a few degrees, and then adjusting the heater to raise it further to 86F. This assumes the temp is probably around 75-77F now. You don't want to raise it this much with a water change alone, so gradual. I maintain this for 7-10 days, other suggest 14 days, up to you. The increased temperature will have some impact obviously, as the fish's metabolism works harder the higher the temperature, so maintain quiet conditions in and around the tank, reduce feeding (alternate days is fine), ensure good water movement esp at the surface because higher temperatures also means less oxygen. Some add airstones or bubblers, or just more surface movement from the filter.

Although the upper temp range for this species is around 79F, they should manage at 86F for the week or so.

Byron.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Follow Byron's advice I am currently getting rid of almost all my ich disease in my tank which was pretty severe. Chemicals did damage and kill a fish I dont recomend it.

Heat is best and most effectif ( to the eye aswell )

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you both for the advice!

I will definitely not use salt now.

The temp in the tank is 79 degrees right now, luckily I have digital therm. on my tanks. How much of a temperature change is safe without stressing the fish out even more? Meaning I guessing that I would only want to raise a few degrees in so many hours? Is a 20 percent change ok for a partial change? Do I change water only once through the first 10 days or is one partial every couple days better?

And thank you again for all your help!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with all about but have found it best to keep the temp at 86F for another 7 - 10 days AFTER you see the last white spot on your fish. This insures that the ich protozoans that have fallen off your fish into the substrate will die. Reducing the temp prematurely is inviting another infestation.

How did you cycle your tank BTW? Fishless with ammonia?
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishkeeper82 View Post
    Thank you both for the advice!

I will definitely not use salt now.

The temp in the tank is 79 degrees right now, luckily I have digital therm. on my tanks. How much of a temperature change is safe without stressing the fish out even more? Meaning I guessing that I would only want to raise a few degrees in so many hours? Is a 20 percent change ok for a partial change? Do I change water only once through the first 10 days or is one partial every couple days better?

And thank you again for all your help!
    If you do a water change now, I would use warmer water to get the temp up from 79F to say 82-83F. Adjust the heater to raise it from here up to 86-87F naturally. Depending upon your heater, this shouldn't be a problem, but monitor the temp closely as heaters can remain "on" and raise the temp very high.

You can keep up with regular water changes when only using heat. Just change the water by siphoning out and siphoning in; don't go crashing about the tank as this can add stress on top of everything else. I would change 1/3 to 1/2 the tank at each water change.

Byron.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again for the input.

Fishmommie
    The way I cycled the tank (which is a planted tank with a sand base layer 1/2", soil layer mixed with organic potting soil 3/4", and finally gravel 3/4") was to set the tank up with the substrate, then I would "feed" the tank at the same time as I fed my other fish in a different tank. Then after about three weeks of this, I started adding plants that had in my other tanks, and after about 5 weeks of this, constantly feeding the fishless tank, everything tested well so I got the tetras.