· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Impulse bought 2 Angelfish babies....know lots bout cichlids but not these

0 Not allowed!
    I had first pick out of 100 and I couldn't help myself I was growing tired of my tetras so why not get 2 angelfish and see what happens....I got one of the best looking fish I have ever had even almost better than my 11 year old jack dempsey may he RIP. Before the bleeding hearts chime in my tank water turns over 20 times an hour I do 2 50% changes a week and they are an inch long; The only permanent residents are my sterbai corys and pleco the tetras are pretty but I'd rather an angelfish or something with personality I miss that in my fish. I wish the tiger color was shown in my camera pics I've seen tons of angelfish before and never one this striking literally so nice you can make a tank around him or her.

So the one is gorgeous 8 stripes and orange like a tiger just amazing the other is nice with a completely diff. body shape (took a shot at getting a M/F) has 4 stripes and is pearl colored; at first I was thinking my tetras might fin bite but they never did it b4 and they have long trailing fins on the males so if they were going to I'd of seen it. I plop em in and they are eating and swimming around like they own the tank; they definitely have that cichlid persona they aren't like having convict cichlids aggro wise but I'm sure they will stop being this peaceful with time. I don't know angelfish I always had green terrors, jack dempseys, pike cichlids, and an oscar or 2 my friends couldn't take care of due to size. So what can I expect perhaps some peace with the tetras if I raise 1 of the angelfish together with everyone else?

So in the end I'm keeping my sterbai corys, Melini corys, pleco, and my prized tiger angelfish so how does this play out? I have a M/F and ditch the tetras so they can breed or ditch one if they fight/the tetras if they get picked on?
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 10-12-2013 at 02:03 AM.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a rescued Siamese fighting fish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In retrospect I bet I have diff species that's why the fins are like x2 as long on the pearl one and the body shape is diff. I didn't think they'd have diff. species in the same tank like that is it possible for angelfish hybrids? The really good looking one is def. P. Altum the other I'd guess P. Leopoldi but this is new to me.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a rescued Siamese fighting fish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    There are many, many different strains of Angelfish they are most likely both scalare. What size is your tank? Your tetras my nip at the baby Angel fish fins.

Angelfish are lots of fun, I've got 10. Great fish :)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's a 29g my landlord made me sign a lease stating I wouldn't have a bigger fish tank than 5gs or more than one so she actually cut me a break kinda small compared to what I use to have. My tetras aren't nippy since I have 14 infact the angelfish usually scare the much larger (and breeding like nuts or you could say feeding my catfish everyday for me) tetras away if they want a piece of food or anything.

I can tell the bigger pearl one is dominant but it's not violent really he just makes sure the other knows he's bigger.... I'm hoping that doesn't turn into violence as they get larger but like I said these guys are nothing compared to what I use to keep I also remember why I liked cichlids so much they respond to you and it's not just a food thing either.

Also considering I paid 2 for 5 taking the pearl one back isn't a big deal; I've had 10 lemon tetras before the candycane ones, 3 diff dwarf plecos til I settled on this one lol..

I'd love to know what an angelfish with 8 black stripes and bright orange is called but I guess you can't tell which it being so young.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 10-12-2013 at 03:23 AM.

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Can you get a picture of it? You're definitely full stocked in 29. You might be better with just one. Once they grow up there may be some problems. Hopefully everything works out for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Meant to edit that last part out; the tiger one is a very colorful scalare I think but the other is very diff. it's lower fins are x2 the size the face is shaped diff. at the time I thought it might be slight sexual dimorphism but it's too different for the size.

Like on this chart the tiger one looks like the middle and the 4 stripe pearl w long fins the leopeoli I'd take a pic but it doesn't come thru very clear

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...d=0CI4BEPwdMAo

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm stocked heavy as is I know but like I said I really feel indifferent to my tetras and I think a 29g would be big enough for a breeding pair if they got along if they were aggro to each other then it's cruel having them in that size tank but otherwise it'd be fine without all the tetras too. For now I'll grow them out and see if they bond and how their temperment is; the tiger one is enough for me but it's not like they can hurt my other fish or even each atm they prob weight half as much as my smallest tetra...

The day I see lip locking or aggro on my other tankmates I'll change things; it worked with dwarf plecos even if it took 4 til I got a male that was peaceful he's over 4 inches now and as docile as they get he also rocks a better mustache than I do.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 10-12-2013 at 04:11 AM.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    If you want a breeding pair, 29 gallons is good. I just feel bad for the other fish in the tank :)

The chance that you've got a leopoldi are pretty low. I'd love to see a picture if you can get one.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I was thinking it'd break my heart seeing my corys bullied. I'll see what I can do for a pic almost all the 100 looked like the tiger with less striped (most 4 not 8) and color wise none even compared it's like one of those 1 in a million things finding him for $2.50.... The pet shop worker was inhumane too she dazed or killed at least 8 babies cause she was in a hurry....what s c**t so cruel.... I offered to pick them out with the net and she yelled at me for telling her how to do her job... That's how I ended up with the pearl one I just told her pick the opposite looking so I didn't have to watch animal cruelty. I fish and hunt and butcher/fillet them but being lazy in such a hurry u kill and don't care is just messed up.

Then I told her how she probably killed a few of them bashing inch long angelfish into the glass wall with a metal mesh net; and she should be ashamed.... and she said in some foreign language curses at me. How sadistic is that.... I know it can be hard to net fish when there is a lot but doing that? that ain't right.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by f1shg33kz View Post
    Can you get a picture of it? You're definitely full stocked in 29. You might be better with just one. Once they grow up there may be some problems.
    Yeah, like the fish having no room to move. I suppose that counts as "bleeding heart" sentiment. Callous attitude towards fish bothers me a bit.