· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default is this a fungus or algae ?

0 Not allowed!
    1381545_10153315037340207_2124207108_n.jpg

Some things to know about the tank
    3 gallon aqua culture 360 viewer
    has a changing light though I only use the white light
    central tube has a bubbler and it came with an under gravel filter (i don't even think it works)

It has a submersible heater for 5 and under gallon which keeps the temp between 75-77.

I have live plants, needle ludwigia, a live moss ball (not the one with card board for its center) and a bamboo plant which my dwarf frogs came with in their small cube.

I feed my frogs daily, so I am thinking it MIGHT be the cause.

I've never had this type of thing grow in any of my previous tanks and it is on everything excluding my pets.

I am currently dechlorinating some water for the first water change since introducing my frogs to their new home, the water change will be tomorrow.

any one know what the heck this is?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's a little difficult to tell from the photo. maybe you could shoot a couple more with a little more clarity.
    In the meantime, with that small of a tank, I'm hoping your doing 50% water changes a minimum of weekly. More often would actually be be better.How long has the tank been set up. Hoe many frogs do you have? what kind of frogs are they?
    Bamboo is not a good aquarium plant btw.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    and i hope that tank is cycled,
    if you don't know what that is, read the fishless cycling and cycling with fish stickies in fishmommies signature.
    if you cycled with a bottle or let the filter run for a few days then added fish that is not cycleing
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vafa View Post
    and i hope that tank is cycled,
    if you don't know what that is, read the fishless cycling and cycling with fish stickies in fishmommies signature.
    if you cycled with a bottle or let the filter run for a few days then added fish that is not cycleing
    yes it was cycled for a month doing the fishless cycle before adding my little guys, only thing in it was my ludwigia and my marimo which was from another tank. :) I had read somewhere for something this small cycling would be done around 3-5 weeks. seemed to help as there were no spikes when i tested it before adding my frogs. ( i have to get some new testers)

Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    It's a little difficult to tell from the photo. maybe you could shoot a couple more with a little more clarity.
    In the meantime, with that small of a tank, I'm hoping your doing 50% water changes a minimum of weekly. More often would actually be be better.How long has the tank been set up. Hoe many frogs do you have? what kind of frogs are they?
    Bamboo is not a good aquarium plant btw.
    Unfortunately all i have is my cell phone to shoot pics. that's as clear as i could get.
    yes i am doing weekly they were just introduced to this tank last saturday. Would doing so more often affect my plants? I'm new at the plant thing but not tanks.

I've taken the bamboo out for my water change today.

This tank has been set up since the beginning of september but i didn't add my little guys until last saturday as i've mentioned. I have 2 african dwarf frogs which are very lively since switching from their cube they came with and have developed a more noticeable personality, they really love hiding under the marimo and coming out when i get close to the tank.

thanks for the advice so far guys

I have wiped down everything and decided to just keep the plants in (with the heater and bubbler so far, again filter is undergravel)

0 Not allowed!
    I can't tell from the photo much, but if the "growth" is white it is probably fungus of some type, but if green, gray, brown, black or dark red, then algae. Algae is harmless, except when it increases on plant leaves to the point where it blocks respiration and nutrient exchange, killing the leaf (and eventually the plant if not stopped).

Fungus may be toxic or may not, depending what it is. It normally appears on wood. I have never seen it on plants, meaning originating from within the plant.

Water changes will not hurt plants. I do 50% of my tank volume every week, and all my tanks are heavily planted. You may need to add nutrients, depending what the plants are and other related factors like GH of the source water, and foods added for the frogs which become organic waste i the substrate and the breakdown of this by bacteria provides much needed CO2 and other nutrients for plants.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    please tell us how you cycled your tank. Did you dose with ammonia during this month it was running? If not, then your tank is not cycled. please see my signature line.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    please tell us how you cycled your tank. Did you dose with ammonia during this month it was running? If not, then your tank is not cycled. please see my signature line.
    I dechlorinated water sit for 3 days, then washed the new gravel until no floaters were visible and water ran clear.

I filled the bottom with the gravel and placed a plant tab in the gravel and added the plants. the marimo coming from the cube. I added some nutrafin cycle solution - yes calculated how much for a 3 gallon - into the water before adding it to the tank. I ran the the tank like normal during this month with no water changes. It clouded up during mid week of week 2 and was clear 4 days after.

I added a small amount of fish food every other day for the duration of september, and tested the water last saturday my test strip i used told me the water was ok (though since reading more about planted tanks in the last week, i've read these aren't very accurate?) I need to buy a new test to measure my water so i'm looking into getting a drip tester instead..

I have taken a look at your thread about fishless cycling, that's some good info thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I can't tell from the photo much, but if the "growth" is white it is probably fungus of some type, but if green, gray, brown, black or dark red, then algae. Algae is harmless, except when it increases on plant leaves to the point where it blocks respiration and nutrient exchange, killing the leaf (and eventually the plant if not stopped).

Fungus may be toxic or may not, depending what it is. It normally appears on wood. I have never seen it on plants, meaning originating from within the plant.

Water changes will not hurt plants. I do 50% of my tank volume every week, and all my tanks are heavily planted. You may need to add nutrients, depending what the plants are and other related factors like GH of the source water, and foods added for the frogs which become organic waste i the substrate and the breakdown of this by bacteria provides much needed CO2 and other nutrients for plants.

Byron.
    Yes the growth is white, kind of like small little web like threads, I can't seem to find anything on this type of fungus/algae or what ever the heck it is... hoping the cleaning today fixed the issue as it doesn't appear to be on anything now after the water change/cleaning. which i did several hours ago.

Oh I didn't know that the food waste provided co2 (did i misread that?) because I have been looking up ways to make DIY c02 device.. sugar yeast method seems most favorable, though unsure how well it would work with a sponge diffuser.

again good info so far thanks guys.

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't mess with CO2. I have heavily planted tanks and have for 20+ years and never added CO2. The substrate is very important in any aquarium, but especially so in a planted one. The waste from fish works its way down into the substrate (which is why you should not generally vacuum the substrate, except for maybe the open areas out front) where bacteria break it down; the small snails like Malaysian Livebearing Snails help a lot with this, as they eat the waste which breaks it down into smaller particles much faster so the bacteria can more readily get it. Anyway, this breakdown of organics produces a lot of CO2, ammonia, and other nutrients that were in the initial fish foods eaten by the fish. There is more CO2 produced here than in the respiration of fish, plants and bacteria.

To the fungus, if it is gone now, good. And on the cycling, as you have live plants, you're home free. I have never deliberately "cycled" a new tank in years, always letting my plants do the job. Plants grab ammonia, and lots of it, easily the amount produced by fish and the organics mentioned above; as long as there are some fast-growing plants (stem plants and particularly floating plants are good for this) and very few fish, everything will be fine.

Byron
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I wouldn't mess with CO2. I have heavily planted tanks and have for 20+ years and never added CO2. The substrate is very important in any aquarium, but especially so in a planted one. The waste from fish works its way down into the substrate (which is why you should not generally vacuum the substrate, except for maybe the open areas out front) where bacteria break it down; the small snails like Malaysian Livebearing Snails help a lot with this, as they eat the waste which breaks it down into smaller particles much faster so the bacteria can more readily get it. Anyway, this breakdown of organics produces a lot of CO2, ammonia, and other nutrients that were in the initial fish foods eaten by the fish. There is more CO2 produced here than in the respiration of fish, plants and bacteria.

To the fungus, if it is gone now, good. And on the cycling, as you have live plants, you're home free. I have never deliberately "cycled" a new tank in years, always letting my plants do the job. Plants grab ammonia, and lots of it, easily the amount produced by fish and the organics mentioned above; as long as there are some fast-growing plants (stem plants and particularly floating plants are good for this) and very few fish, everything will be fine.

Byron
    thanks! that's very good to know!