· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: complacent JD's

1. Default complacent JD's

0 Not allowed!
    What can I do to create some movement in my JD's tank . For the last few months or so my pair have seemed to have became lazy except for feeding time or weekly clean up . They just hang out in or around their cave . tank is a 75 gallon without plants , parameters are amm. 0 , trites are 0 and trates are little above 20 by the color charts . male is about 7-7.5ins. , female about 5.5-6 ins. . I would love to add something to give them some motivation or rouse them up a little . Maybe some Silver Dollars or a Green Terror . If I go with roomates how big should they be ? Any suggestions will be appreciated and considered. Thanks for your time.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Australian Rainbows do really good. They look cool and are very active. I've got a 10"+ JD and he hasn't been able to catch any in my 125. Giant danios also do good with big fish. They are super fast and very lively.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I kept a school of 7 silver dollars with my mixed convict/pike cichlid/jack dempsey tank and that was a 75g very pretty dither fish they'd give the pair something to do; I cannot speak to their safety keeping them with a mating pair but in my tank I only ever lost 1 or 2 and that was because they were smaller than 4''s and my pike cichlid had a big mouth and speed the rest that were 4-6''+ were fine. My big ole jack who was 12'' and a male wasn't fast enough to get them but that didn't stop him trying which is what you want activity.

They did their job looked pretty and kept my cichlids active and not focused on lip locking over territory all the time; f1shg33kz is 100% on giant danios even my pike cichlid couldn't catch them....usually but I thought silver dollars were much prettier so I ditched the danios and got them.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a rescued Siamese fighting fish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    what about some congo tetras. nice, fast mid to upper level fish and are gorgeous too
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Im looking at congos in there myself... or columbian tetra, lemon tetra or any other big body tetra's.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've had large fast tetras work with my tanks congos should work possibly some others.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a rescued Siamese fighting fish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for all the ideas . ill let you know before I put anyone in with them. going browsing this weekend. Maybe something will jump out at me.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

0 Not allowed!
    I would go another route. I would add a second pair of similar sized Central American Cichlids. I know that there is a risk of aggression but it should be possible to keep it at acceptable, none harmfull levels. In my experince I have usually been able to keep 3 breeding pairs in 75 gallon tanks. Providing they have been decorated to create 3 territories.

I find the interaction between cichlids, their border wars etc, much more interesting than I do watching the cichlids interact with dither fish. That is not to say tha tetras etc cant be very interesting as well.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I would go another route. I would add a second pair of similar sized Central American Cichlids. I know that there is a risk of aggression but it should be possible to keep it at acceptable, none harmfull levels. In my experince I have usually been able to keep 3 breeding pairs in 75 gallon tanks. Providing they have been decorated to create 3 territories.

I find the interaction between cichlids, their border wars etc, much more interesting than I do watching the cichlids interact with dither fish. That is not to say tha tetras etc cant be very interesting as well.
    This is an excellent idea. Curious, William, what cichlids would you suggest the OP stock?
    Last edited by fishmommie; 01-09-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

1 Not allowed!
    I hear what william is saying and would agree but also this comes with the challenge of keeping fry after the spawn, potentially wounded fish and a higher level of work needed to maintain the tank. I agree it more interesting and in fact more rewarding... but I wouldnt outwardly recommened it without knowing very detailed and long history of the op's experiences.

Two blue acara and two convicts would look cool in a 75gal...
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's