· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    I do notice the site has stickies for both fish and fishless cycles. I have patience (trying to teach that to the kids) just wondering thoughts on both. I know there is a greater chance of killing off the fish in the fish based cycle. Depending on the types you get or trying to many at once.
    Generally, a fish-in cycle happens because people are miss-informed about setting up tanks, they buy a tank and fish the same day, run home and set it up, use various chemicals that they think (or are told) will keep fish safe, then start having fish die-offs....speaking from experience here....then, they either return the fish, or do a fish-in cycle, which is very stressful on the fish, many won't survive the process...fish-free cycling IMO is a humane way to prepare your tank for fish, it is not hard at all, but does take time...mine took 3 weeks...but I now have happy and healthy fish

It is advised alot here on the AC to have twice as much filtration for your tank than the tank size...a 37 gallon would require at least 74 gallons worth of filtration...why don't you see if your LFS has an AquaClear 75 or even 80 gallon HOB (hang on back) filter?. I use one rated for 30 gallons (AC30) on a 10 gallon tank, no problem whatsoever with too much water flow, it is adjustable.....nice little filters, reasonably priced (usually)...see if they'll take the Whisper filter back and credit you toward an AquaClear...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yeah it is also nice to get a filter with adjustable flow. For example, the AquaClear (we really aren't sales people, we just like the product!) has the ability to adjust how much of its output goes to the tank, and route some of it back through the media. In theory you don't lose filtration but you do decrease flow.

I guess instead of just recommending a brand, I'll say the two most important features in a HOB are the ability to change individual pieces of media (not one cartridge - this will also save you money in the long run), and adjustable flow.

0 Not allowed!
    Before you start wasting money on equipment you don't need, take some time to reflect on what fish you intend (the water parameters will help with this), and then find the filter that will best work for the fish and tank.

Having more filters is not a benefit. All this means is that you are moving more of the water around more, but this does nothing with respect to making the water "more" clean or clear for that matter. Think of filters like medication; all you need is what will do the job...any more and you will have problems.

The most effective filtration is that which is suited to the tank and fish load.

Byron.

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I checked my LFS for those other filters you were suggesting and they don't carry them or any other place in town for that matter. With me living in the sticks I went ahead and paid the $5 more for the next level higher which is rated for the 30-60 gallon capacity to get me started which is still an improvement over the one that barely met the rating according to the box. The only other brand they had that was for larger tanks was Marineland or something like that but the model was to long for my tank as it would not fit due to the cross bar in the tank.

So my plans for tonight are to get my gravel & decorations rinsed.
    Get the tank filled and get the heater in.
    Then hopefully get the water to start warming and filter turned on.

How long should I wait for the water before I start the cycle process? I can do the fish food method for now otherwise this weekend I could make it to the local hw store to grab a small bottle of ammonia along with some water testing equipment from the LFS. I assume the drip test kits are the better avenue vs strips.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    How long should I wait for the water before I start the cycle process? I can do the fish food method for now otherwise this weekend - the fish food method is not exactly reliable because you have to wait for it to rot, then it smells and you have to figure out exactly how much to put in there to get the ammonia reading you want I could make it to the local hw store to grab a small bottle of ammonia along with some water testing equipment from the LFS. - I recommend the ammonia method - you can be precise about how much you're putting in there using measuring spoons or a dropper. Once you have the ammonia, there is no need to wait to add it - for your size tank, you're probably best starting off with adding enough to a reading of 2-3ppm and then follow fishless cycling directions from there. I assume the drip test kits are the better avenue vs strips. - absolutely - if you can find it, many of us use the API freshwater liquid kit - but as long as your kit measures ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & pH you are fine.
    See my responses above
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    ^^ Excellent help from imma24 as always, +1 to her responses
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Hey FT, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I managed to get my checklist for tonight done. The filter is running and the heater on as well. I did notice that it was a bit cloudy as I filled it up , but it has cleared up a lot. Some of that I attribute to the tap water itself I think. I do also have small pockets of bubbles on the interior of the tank along the glass and in the brief spots where the water filled to in between the bucket pours as I filled it up.

I got the temperature on the water heater set to 79 degrees roughly for the time being with an ambient air temperature of 74 degrees. During the winter we usually turn it down to 70 degrees on the heat but that shouldn't be an issue as the temp of the tank when it comes time to get the fish I believe for most species 75-78 degrees so I can turn it down a bit before getting the fishies in the tank.

Tomorrow I plan on getting some ammonia and a tester to kick start the cycle process.

0 Not allowed!
    Had a look at your water test. I bet that water doesn't even taste very nice.

Anyway, forget about most Amazon species in that stuff. Livebearers should work well though as would Zebra danios. . Another option is a tanganyikan setup. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...cutter_29g.php for example.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    So I have a couple setbacks...

1) For the life of me no store in my town sells actual ammonia in any quantity. They all either have detergents or fragrances in them so a no go for that. I would either have to find someplace online and hope its the correct kind, find a different way to cycle the tank, or wait until the next time I can make it to the larger city to the south of my (about an hour drive) which will probably be next weekend sometime.

2) The heater I bought is defective. it turns on briefly and then off. So trying to see if it was the thermometer reading the wrong temp or the heater. so I crank it up about 9 degrees. It turns on about 4 minutes later. This time only stayed on for about 5 minutes and shut off again. So I will go exchange it for a new one tomorrow.

but for the cycling options what other fishless options are there?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's exciting to get and set up a new tank and want to start stocking quickly. But one thing I learned along the way was that patience will make your experience much better. I would wait until you can get the right kind of ammonia you need for cycling. You can still set up the tank and decorate it the way you want and at least have something you've created that's nice to look at while waiting for fish.

Use the time it takes to cycle for researching the fish you're interested in, maybe go window shopping at the LFS, but resist any urges to buy something until the tank is ready. A lot of your decisions will depend on what is readily available to you unless you are willing to have fish shipped. That can be a more expensive option and one I have only had to do once. But it opens up the possibilities.