· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Newbie feeding questions

0 Not allowed!
    I have a new 40 gallon and first arrivals yesterday were 12 harley rasboras and 10 cherry barbs. Kept the lights off all afternoon/evening yesterday and didn't feed.

This morning I fed 3 good size flakes that were broken/crushed.

It took 5 minutes before the harleys starting hitting it, and then they weren't exactly aggressive.

The barbs have been staying in the lower portion of the tank, acting a bit shy, and none of them ever came to the surface to feed.

The flakes were still floating 10 minutes after I put them in and 80% of what I put in was still there. So obviously I overfed my first time out! It's 25 minutes later and there's still some food floating on the top; if there's some that sank I can't see it.

So, do you think the barbs are just still acclimating?

My other question is, if the flakes are still floating after 5 minutes then if they get cleaned up none of them will have time to sink down to lower levels....if fish aren't coming to the top to feed they don't get to eat, right?

I have sinking pellets also and some shrimp and worms, figured I would rotate the selection during the week...but most days will feed flake food.

Appreciate any wisdom you have to share, and thank you!

1 Not allowed!
    Provided they are in a cycled tank and your water parameters are fine, I would think they are still getting used to their new home. That can take up to a week for some fish, at least in my experience

If you want the flakes to sink better, there are two things that I would suggest. The first would be to not crush them up into very small pcs. Just take them out of the container as they are. The second would be to not release them above the water line allow them to fall on to the water. Take them in your fingers and place them below the water line and then release them. That has always worked for me

Maybe try feeding them every second day for the first week in their new home.

Edit: I forgot to ask, how did you acclimate them and what are your current water parameters ?
    Last edited by Cliff; 12-21-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    What he said...
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~