· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

Default Got a new 37g tank and have a few questions

0 Not allowed!
    I am working at setting up my tank that we just got the family yesterday, but I have a few questions before I get to far.

1) The filter I bought is the Tetra Whisper 40 Power filter. It is rated for 20-40gallon tanks at 210 gph. I am wondering if I should upgrade it to the 30-60 gallon version? as I know you can never have to much filtration but possibly to much flow. if that would help with the stocking capabilities.

2) Tank lighting. The hood came with a 24" full spectrum florescent lighting. for positioning it is sitting on the north side of the living room along a way. I have a large 5x7 west window (with a larger house on that side about 15 ft away) and them my kitchen window and patio sliding door about 30ft away on the south side. I was wondering what a decent light cycle would be, and I am positive I will need a timer as winter approaches our daylight hours are roughly 7am to about 5pm it is already starting to get darker. But the ambient light is some times sufficient I would think but other times it is not. So was wondering should I set a timer for like 7am - 6pm or so or what would you recommend?

We are still deciding on stocking. but not sure which fish to use for the cycling process. maybe a school of 6-8 tetras? I have some friends recommending African Cichlids due to our heavier water (I think it is at 10.4) but not sure what species work in the 37g and even if they are hardy enough for beginners. I am still reading and learning on fish compatibility and how to properly cycle the tank for the first time.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    I am working at setting up my tank that we just got the family yesterday, but I have a few questions before I get to far.

1) The filter I bought is the Tetra Whisper 40 Power filter. It is rated for 20-40gallon tanks at 210 gph. I am wondering if I should upgrade it to the 30-60 gallon version? as I know you can never have to much filtration but possibly to much flow. if that would help with the stocking capabilities.
    If you like that style of filter it would be a good idea

2) Tank lighting. The hood came with a 24" full spectrum florescent lighting. for positioning it is sitting on the north side of the living room along a way. I have a large 5x7 west window (with a larger house on that side about 15 ft away) and them my kitchen window and patio sliding door about 30ft away on the south side. I was wondering what a decent light cycle would be, and I am positive I will need a timer as winter approaches our daylight hours are roughly 7am to about 5pm it is already starting to get darker. But the ambient light is some times sufficient I would think but other times it is not. So was wondering should I set a timer for like 7am - 6pm or so or what would you recommend?
    It all depends if you want to plant it or not. If you want to plant then a single tube on a tank this size will limit you to extremely low light species only. If it's just to watch the fish start with 10 hours on a timer and see what that gets you.
    We are still deciding on stocking. but not sure which fish to use for the cycling process. maybe a school of 6-8 tetras? I have some friends recommending African Cichlids due to our heavier water (I think it is at 10.4) but not sure what species work in the 37g and even if they are hardy enough for beginners. I am still reading and learning on fish compatibility and how to properly cycle the tank for the first time.
    How about being animal friendly and doing a fishless cycle? There's a few stickies on the subject.
    What does "heavier water" mean?

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    heavy water as in hard water. it has improved over the years but it is still classified as hard water, and we don't have any form of central water softener setup yet in our house.

0 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind that many species of popular aquarium fish can adapt to a range of pH as long as acclimated properly.

There are many people who purchase their fish from places overseas or from other states and you don't know what pH they are coming from, so acclimating is the way to go to let fish adjust to what you have in your tank.

And +1 to cycling your tank 1st. It's generall recommended to do that rather than putting fish into a brand new tank and then posting when one or more of them isn't doing well.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    I suggest we need some numbers on water parameters before deciding on fish. There are many with quite specific needs in terms mainly of GH (general hardness) and also pH, and if you have extremes this is significant. The water supply folks should be able to give you the GH (probably on their website?). A pH test kit is a good investment. When testing tap water for pH, out-gas the CO2 by vigorously shaking the water in a small jar for a couple minutes before testing.

Once you know the parameters, you can consider fish. And then consider the filter, which should be suited to the fish (and live plants if these are intended). "Over filtration" is not at all beneficial in many situations, and water flow is crucial as you mentioned, so one has to keep everything in mind when selecting filters.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTundra View Post
    heavy water as in hard water. it has improved over the years but it is still classified as hard water, and we don't have any form of central water softener setup yet in our house.
    Central water softeners often replace calcium by something else like natrium. Beneficial for electrical appliances, less useful to fish. However for hard water there's also enough interesting options.

Are you looking to plant or not?

0 Not allowed!
    PLEASE do a fishless cycle, it requires patience but does no harm to fish....everything you need to know is here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    we will be using silk plants for now. but as far as my towns local water, they do publish their reports here - Clicky

I do notice the site has stickies for both fish and fishless cycles. I have patience (trying to teach that to the kids) just wondering thoughts on both. I know there is a greater chance of killing off the fish in the fish based cycle. Depending on the types you get or trying to many at once.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It wouldn't hurt to run two HoB style filters. Generally I like to suggest looking for ones that allow you more flexibility in changing media instead of using cartridges. The AquaClear are popular for this purpose, and I think the aqueon filters are decent as well. It is generally recognized that the whisper filters do not really filter what they are rated for, but it is important to be concerned about blowing you fish out of the water. Unless you get extremely gentle water fish, however, I doubt adding a second filter will be a problem. I would get a second filter rated for the size of your aquarium, that way if one goes out you have redundancy. It also gives you the freedom to pull one off (after it is cycled) and run a hospital or quarantine tank if you decide to do so in the future.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well I am heading back to the LFS over lunch to see what other filters they have besides the one they provided and see if I can trade it in and pay the difference. If anything I will get a higher rated filter for now. Is it possible to add a second one later if needed?