· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default [URGENT] PLEASE HELP I need immidiate advise

0 Not allowed!
    Okay hi everybody, i'm new in this forum and this is my first post. No time to introduce myself, excuse me for that.

ALL THE BORING DETAILS
    I just got a set of 50 Gal Aquarium (Stand, lid, heater, filter etc). I'll be honest,
    I couldn't wait 8 weeks or however long it takes to cycle, heck i couldn't event stand 5 days. So I went to my local fish store, I saw around 20+ neon tetras swimming in a tank, and I requested him that I wanted to buy their filter sponge as well as 10 tetras. So I am assuming that the filter has enough bacteria to handle 20+ small fish. Anyways, came back home, plugged that sponge filter in, and wallah, CYCLED TANK + NEON TETRAS!
    This is where I got my tank cycling inspiration from:

PROBLEM
    Realized my tetra's gill is a lil red. They are still swimming active, schooling together, bright colors I would say, BUT.. RED GILLS.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IT IS AND WHAT TO DO BEFORE IT GETS WORSE.
    I dont care if I have to change the water every second.. I'll do it, I just dont wanna lose my very 1st bunch of fish.

TYVVM in advance.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh dear... ok... Cycling is there for a reason. The idea in that really badly done video isn't bad though but you're placing a lot of faith in a sponge you know nothing about.

Did you use a water conditioner? Seachem prime for example? Unless you have chlorine free water it's important. If you don't have this pop back to the shop and get it!

What filter is on that tank? What did you do with the sponge, please be specific!

Get a liquid test kit (no strips!) so you're not running blind, you need the ability to test for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate. They're cheap on ebay but if you can spare the cash pay the $15 extra and get it from the shop.

For now the best thing to do is a 50% water change every day for the next week or so.

You just learned an important lesson, only bad things happen fast in aquariums.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above....lots of good questions that need answering if you are going to get good advice...BTW, "badly done video" is a very gracious way to describe it...I'd call it something else, but that's just me..."cycling in 3 minutes"....seriously?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by xdeadromeox View Post
    ALL THE BORING DETAILS
    I just got a set of 50 Gal Aquarium (Stand, lid, heater, filter etc). I'll be honest,
    I couldn't wait 8 weeks or however long it takes to cycle, heck i couldn't event stand 5 days. Well, that's what can happen when you don't have patience - the desire to have a tank with fish in it has to take into account how the fish will handle thingsSo I went to my local fish store, I saw around 20+ neon tetras swimming in a tank, and I requested him that I wanted to buy their filter sponge as well as 10 tetras. So I am assuming that the filter has enough bacteria to handle 20+ small fish. Anyways, came back home, plugged that sponge filter in, and wallah, CYCLED TANK + NEON TETRAS!
    PROBLEM
    Realized my tetra's gill is a lil red. They are still swimming active, schooling together, bright colors I would say, BUT.. RED GILLS.

I dont care if I have to change the water every second.. I'll do it, I just dont wanna lose my very 1st bunch of fish.

TYVVM in advance.
    +1 with talldutchies advice - red gills generally means too high ammonia which is what you will get if you aren't testing your water and aren't changing it often enough during cycling.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    As talldutchie is suggesting, red gills are a sign of ammonia poisoning. So, while the sponge idea sounds good in principle, it appears it might not have worked as expected. Perhaps the sponge you got was not cycled, or was cycled for a much lower bioload. Or perhaps something went wrong with moving the sponge. Either way, your biological filter appears not to be working.

For now, talldutchie is one of the most knowledgeable people here, so you should follow whatever he says very closely and answer his questions, they are designed to try to figure out what happened.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Finally, just got back from work. Wow, some really helpful people around here in the forums. Thank you so much for all the replies.

Did you use a water conditioner?:
    - Yes, I have a 15 Gal tank which I use to fill up/change the water of the 50 Gal, I mix anti-chlorine every time I'm filling it up. That's the only conditioner I'm using.

What filter is on that tank?
    - Okay, my filter should be an "External hang-on filter".

What did you do with the sponge?
    - I asked the guy at the store to put it in a bag with water so that it doesn't dry up. Brought it back home and fixed it on my powerhead intake so that my tiny Fire Red Shrimps doesn't get sucked in.

I dont have any testers except for the PH tester, God willing I'm gonna get one for the Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate tomorrow.

List of fish currently in the tank:
    • Dwarf Crayfish x1
    • Black Tetras x2
    • Zebra Danios x3
    • Thailand/Siamese Flying Fox 3
    • Fire Red Shrimps x4
    • Neon Tetras x10

I've learned my lesson indeed, but please advise me further from the information I've put up. Do I just make 50% water changes daily for a few weeks or is there anything more that I can do to prevent further damage?
    Would adding ammonia remover be a better idea?

Thank you all so much for the replies.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Latest pics of my neons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok.. we'll deal with the stocking and setup issues later. I see the problem as well that sponge wasn't nearly enough. An overview shot would be nice to have as well
    Daily water cganges for the next week at least and let us know your test results when you have them.
    Don't worry too much. We can probably fix this without much loss of life if at all.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So in your experience, are those gills really bad or it's just slightly reddish? I mean I'm just curious about the amount of damage I've done. I've just realized my Zebra's are having red gills as well, it's kinda visible.

I'm sorry overview shot is the picture of the whole aquarium?

Aquarium:

More filter material on the aquarium cover:

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the fish should recover provided you complete the daily water changes.
    How long you do the water changes will be determined by the results of your ammonia tests.
    any time ammonia approaches .50ppm (same with NitrItes) you need to do a water change. Once ammonia and nitrates both reach 0 PRIOR to a water change, you have achieved a cycled tank. Then you need to keep nitrAtes below 20ppm
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492