· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What types of arowana is my fish?

0 Not allowed!
    I have two baby arowana, they are 7.5" and 6.5" long and age about three to four months.
    But the color is little bluish and redish back part of the fish. and also scales have some red stripe.
    I can't understand what type of arowana is it.

Please he me some one to recognize this fish from my attached pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    There are presently four recognized species of Arowana, which are in the Osteoglossidae family of fish. Two in South America, namely Osteoglossum bicirrhosum and O. ferrerai, one in SE Asia, Scleropages formosus (which has several colour forms and one may be a distinct species but is as yet undescribed), and one in Australia, Scleropages jardinii.

I confess to not knowing much about these, but I wold suggest your fish is most likely the Asian Arowana, the only one as far as I know to display any reddish colouration. Here's some data on this species:
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...ages-formosus/

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    That is a silver arowana, Osteoglossum bicirrhosum
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Also, I hope you understand that these fish get very large and require large tanks. Its also not recommended to keep more than one together since they will most likely fight.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

1 Not allowed!
    And that would probably turn your good luck into bad luck.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,

Thanks all to help me find out what type is fish it is.
    I went to shop where from I bought the fishes two days back.
    I saw the batch of the small fish I bought, still they have some fish remain to sell.
    and there is big deference my fish and the fish at the shop. The size is the fishes is almost same but the color is totally silver at the shop fishes.
    I don't know, how my fry is deference in color from the same batch of fry.
    Is their any possibility, the water quality is making this color change?
    My Tank size is 43" long and 20" width. They are very quite still after putting into the tank. I never see any fight at my eye side.
    But they jump some time, that I saw. I feed them small frozen fish and shrimp.
    I don't use any chemical in my tank. I just fill the tank with direct from supply line.
    Thanks you all again.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,

Thanks all to help me find out what type is fish it is.
    I went to shop where from I bought the fishes two days back.
    I saw the batch of the small fish I bought, still they have some fish remain to sell.
    and there is big deference my fish and the fish at the shop. The size is the fishes is almost same but the color is totally silver at the shop fishes.
    I don't know, how my fry is deference in color from the same batch of fry.
    Is their any possibility, the water quality is making this color change?
    My Tank size is 43" long and 20" width. They are very quite still after putting into the tank. I never see any fight at my eye side.
    But they jump some time, that I saw. I feed them small frozen fish and shrimp.
    I don't use any chemical in my tank. I just fill the tank with direct from supply line.
    Thanks you all again.

0 Not allowed!
    Young arowana can have a noticeable difference in hue depending on their diet.
    <-- Click for journals

0 Not allowed!
    The tank isn't near big enough. You are dealing with a species that will quite easily grow to be 2 ft long and eventually, if you haven't killed it by then, 3ft.

I suspect your small tank doesn't contain a cycled filter and you're nmot using a water conditioner. If I'm right these fish aren't going to last much longer than a few weeks.

0 Not allowed!
    I didnt notice the tank size before, but talldutchie is right. Do you have plans to get a larger tank in the near future? A silver arowana needs a tank that is minimum 180 gallons. What kind of filtration are you using? Is your water supply chlorinated?
    <-- Click for journals