· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Clean Up Crew

1. Default Clean Up Crew

0 Not allowed!
    Just converting my 37 Gallon to a African Cichlid tank and wondering about the use of a clean up crew of any sort. Is there anything that goes well with them? Stocking is currently 1 inch fry of Electric Yellow Labs, Yellow Tail Acei and OB Peacock. Here is a pic of the tank setup. I had just turned on lights before heading to work so the fry dissappeared into the rocks. I'll take a more active pic later this evening.

IMG_2928_zpsbd09b2a8.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    You should not need a clean up crew and likely the cichlids will go after them. That tank is not very large for an African tank so I think I would avoid the peacocks as they grow larger.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Should have clarified - I am attempting to build a stand for a 90 Gallon that will replace the 37 and become the new home to these. My woodworking skills are not that great, nor do I have alot of spare time, so I imagine it will be a couple of months before it is up and running (at which point I will have questions on filters, lighting and moving these guys, but I'll wait till then to ask)

0 Not allowed!
    In the eventual 90gal you could add african catfish (synodontis); they have the temperament to thrive along with african cichlids. I've kept s. angelicus, s. eupterus, s. ocellifer and s. multipunctatus with african cichlids.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Love the look of those, I will have to do some more reading on them. Thanks!

1 Not allowed!
    If you do your reading make sure you distinguish between the different syno species, some are rift lake, some are from the much more acidic rivers.

ocellifer for example is a niger species with a broad tolerance, angelicus comes from the congo, eupterus comes from the nile. Multipunctatus is a lake species but it tends to be social and at 7-8 inches for an adult specimen your tank might be on the small side. (depends on the exact dimensions of course, with these you want 8-10 times body length at least) Petricola is another interesting option as is lucipinnis since these tend to stay smaller. I'm not that familiar with African cichlids to judge if they might be too small for your fish.

In any case, consider getting a group, supply some wood for hiding and keep an eye on them during feeding to make sure they get to eat.

1 Not allowed!
    Just my "chip in" here but I wouldn't keep any species of Malawi cichlid in that sized tank - they grow too large and are too aggressive. I would only consider a minimum of 55gal for Malawis. You might consider some of the smaller species of Tanganyikans for that tank instead. Some of the smaller Julidochromis and Lamprologus multifasciatus would be a good mix. Alternatively you could try a pair of Neolamprologus pulcher "Daffodil" or a pair of Neolamprologus brichardi. Any more than that and you'll get trouble.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~