· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: ID This Disease

1. Default ID This Disease

0 Not allowed!
    Hi

My praecox rainbow seems to be unwell. The body has curved up and the fish is swimming with its face sloped upward. Pic attached.

Could someone please identify this ailment and what could be a possible cure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Is the fish having bouancy problems?
    Is it swimming erratically? Does it just hang at the top or swim all over?
    What do the scales look like?
    Is the fish passing faeces normally?

Difficult to tell from one photo. I've kept this species and found them to be very sensitive to bacterial infections, despite a strict water change schedule.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like it has bouancy problems. It wasn't behaving erratically till yesterday and swimming all over th place, but things have since changed.

Currently, it's almost vertical and staying at one place just below the top. Scales look normal. No faeces trail, so think that's ok.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's another pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    I have had fish develop this. I've no idea what might cause it specifically, and I don't believe in "trying" treatments with medications. The fish sometimes hang on (literally) for weeks, but they never survive or shake this off, so when I see it now I tend to humanely destroy the fish. I have found that they seem to have difficulty eating, and get thinner and thinner, and I don't like seeing a fish wasting away.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    This is the result of organ failure from any number of causes. This is always fatal.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the É help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame View Post
    This is the result of organ failure from any number of causes. This is always fatal.
    This.

Check water parameters. If parameters check out, and no other fish are sick, keep up with testing every few days for the next week or two. If everything is normal during that time, chalk it up to RFD (random fish death).

If parameters are off, or other fish are sick, check back and let us know.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?