· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Doing 10% water changes every 5 days or so- changed yesterday. Nitrate 10; Calcium 410; kH 9.6 phosphate .5
    The xenia and the zoanthid are doing well. I'm keeping the zoo close to the light for now. I'll move it to a permanent home in a few weeks
    Zoo.jpgxania.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Your parameters are looking good, even tho the nitrate is still a little high.

What did mean buy:
    Doing 10% water changes every 5 days or so- changed yesterday.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What I meant is that every 5 days I am doing a water change. When I do that water change, I am only changing out 10% of the water. I have since stretched that out to every 7-8 days I will replace 10% of the water. NUmbers as of yesterday:
    Nitrate 10 (Just doesn't seem to want to go down but isn't going up either) Calcium 410, Kh 10, phosphate.5, magnesium 1260.
    So things seem to be pretty stabilized.
    Two things of note:
    ONE: A LFS thought 410 was a little low on Calcium and that I should dose it to get it a little higher. Coincidentally they didn't have any smaller bottles and suggested I come back in a couple days when they had smaller calcium bottles in. I went to another LFS who agreed with me that these are good numbers including the calcium and didn't see any reason to increase the calcium especially when I do not have any hard corals for now.

TWO: My Zoa is gone. It seemed to be doing well for over a week. I had seen the blenny picking at it from time to time, and I had seen a large turbo snail parked right on top of it just before it 'disappeared' from the frag. I removed the snail and put it in another part of the tank. A day later it was back on the frag. Took it off again and next day there was nothing left of the Zoa on the frag (not even a trace it once existed). I suspect the turbo snail is the guilty party but the blenny and the clown aren't talking. It could also be those tiny arthropods I had heard sometimes eat them but I 've never seen them on it before.???
    I bought another Zoa and the turbo snail was starting to climb the frag in 45 minutes. I moved the Turbo to the opposite corener of the tank and he was back in 2 hours. He in now in turbo snail jail in the sump and the new Zoa is still doing fine (after only a day).

Three: ( I know I said two things but I can't count well). With my current parameters, do you think I could handle a Acan frag? I understand they need feeding and I think I can do that.

Thanks
    Last edited by OKStriple; 11-18-2013 at 07:24 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A few pics
    Xenia doing very well
    Xenia.jpg
    New Zoa
    Zoa.jpg

And snail jail
    snailjail.jpg

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And FYI- I'm reading your writeups on various corals now. I recognize I will need to add a powerhead for better flow.
    Also there is a local seller on craigslist that has some hammer coral frags I am interested in.

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest increasing the frequency of the water changes to about 2 to 3 days if you want your nitrates to drop even more.

Based on your current water parameters, softest would most likely be best suited for your set-up. Acans and hammers, as with most other LPS seam to do better long term with lower levels of nitrates (between 5 and 1ppm). Keep in mind, LPS will consume a good amount of calcium and alkalinity from the water for their skeleton growth so testing both elements will become more important once/if you start stocking them.

I can not accurately comment on your calcium without knowing what your alkalinity is. However, 410ppm is the average calcium level found in ocean around the coral reefs. If your alkalinity is balanced at around 7 to 8, then your calcium is right were it should be.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry - forgot to mention Alkalinity is at 10. Just a little high

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest either increasing your calcium to 430ppm , or decreasing your alkalinity between 7 and 8. That would bring it into balance and be a lot better for your corals

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So the Xenia and the Frogspawn got into a fight. And whats up with the Zoas?
    Sorry I got impatient and got a Frogspawn. The kid who originally owned this cube may be moving back here over Christmas and I may have to make a decision about giving it back, buying it from him, or starting my own. I'm still in the 'try it before you buy it' phase and I've spent a couple hundred bucks to basically stare are rocks and 2 fish. I enjoy it but thus far the reward isn't equal to the time and cost but I know its getting closer to the fun stuff. So with slightly better water numbers (Nitrate 10 Calcium 420, Alkalinity 8, phosphate.5, magnesium 1260.) I bought a Forgspawn and Red legged Hermit Crab.
    I know its not the smartest purchase at this time, but I'm happier with the way things look now.
    I need to move it a little lower in the tank. I watched as a longer arm of the xenia reached over to the Frogsapwn and latched onto it. Clearly the Forgspawn applied a sting to it and the Xenia retracted its arm substantially and looked a little clumped up/beat up. It was pretty cool. (moved them further apart right after that).

I have a question. The Zoa is looking less healthy (see pics below) a few polyps aren't opening up. It's away from the others. You will recall I last my last Zoa frag. This one didn't start looking bad till I release the Turbo snail from snail jail. Do you think he is the problem? Or something else?

Last night I saw a Biocube 29 for sale on Craigslist for $100, I planned to call this morning on it but it was gone already. I guess I'm getting a little more hooked
    frogspawn.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    Zoa.jpg
    Zoa2.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, it is always more costly to fix problems rather than aviod them in the first place.

I would keep a eye on that turbo snail and your hermit crab. They can crawl over your corals and stress them out. Also, they do need a lot to eat so you might want to feed them every once in a while (about twice a week maybe?) as there may not be enough in your tank for them. Don't forget to place some bigger empty shells in the tank for your crab to grow into, or he could attack the turbo snail to steel it's shell. The red legged hermit can be the more aggressive among the hermit crabs so you want to keep fat'n'happy to help avoid a lot of problems.