· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Salifert test kit came in this afternoon (after I completed a 5% water change). ALthough this is my first time using the kit, I believe these numbers to be fairly accurate.
    Nitrate 80; Calcium 385; kh/Alk 10.9/3.88; Phosphate 1.0.
    I'll continue with daily 5% water changes but these numbers are better than I expected. So Cal numbers are 'safe' and the dKH is still high but not so terrible as it was. Phosphate is higher than before. I suppose this will come down along with the Nitrates through the 5% water changes.

Thats all the testing kits I bought so far.

0 Not allowed!
    Those numbers do look a lot better than before

Keep up on the waterchanges and you will start seeing a different in the nitrate levels once you get up to 20% or more
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't plan to update again this soon but I had a perceived crisis. I was digging around in the sump and saw the sponge filter for the first time. I took it out figuring it would need cleaning. Oh crap did it ever - all sorts of stuff broke loose from it as I was getting it out and the tank flooded with nasty brown stuff and suspended particles in the water. I went ahead and washed it out and replace it and then did a 10% (all the water I had) water change while the stuff was still floating around in tank. I also removed all the bio balls from the refugium as they were all covered in large algae slime.

I headed to the LFS for more water and have them test water while I was there. To my suprise the numbers were good but I question if they were accurate on the Nitrates:

Ammonia .25 (never had any ammonia before)
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20 (later I vacuumed another 1 gallon and I tested at 20 AFTER adding 1 gallon from the LFS)
    Ph 8
    kH 9
    calcium 380
    Phosphate .5
    Salinity 1.025

All in all- I'm pretty happy with the numbers...and suprised they weren't any worse after stirring up all that crap. The LFS recommended I put the bio balls back so I did. I'm was thinking that there might be something better I could be doing with the refugium instead of the bio balls but IF these numbers are any kind of accurate, I could be on the edge of getting this stabilized. I recently found another LFS that has a greater coral selection so I think I will test my own numbers, then take a sample to them and see if they can confirm these findings.

Meanwhile I need to clear out the particals floating around. I put a fresh filter pad in the back of the bio cube to help filter out some of this.
    Thoughts? Opinons? Did I jsut set things back a week or am I on the path toward progress? Keep the bio balls or nix?
    Last edited by OKStriple; 10-19-2013 at 02:11 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Likely just a slight set back if any. Keep a close eye on your ammonia and nitrate levels and you will know for sure

Once you get some more dead rock in there, and you allow it to become cycled, you can get rid of the bio-balls as they can be a source of nitrates when not clean very often.

I would suggest clean the sponge out at least weekly. All that trapped "stuff" will also add nitrates to your water.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would you recommend putting dead rock in the refugium in place of the bio balls? I already have around 10-11 pounds of live rock in the main tank. FTS from front and side below. MUCH better than before - most algae gone.
    fts1.jpg
    FTS2.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest about 20 lbs of very good quality rock for your tank, inside the tank (remember, only add dead rock). This would give you the option to add some more livestock and/or corals in the future should you choose, as well as helping you tank remain stable once you have worked through your current water parameter challenges. I would only use the back sump compartment for a sponge (if you clean it at least weekly) and any chemical filter media you may want to use, such as carbon or phosphate removers.

You tank is really looking a lot better, great job !!!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I would suggest about 20 lbs of very good quality rock for your tank, inside the tank (remember, only add dead rock). This would give you the option to add some more livestock and/or corals in the future should you choose, as well as helping you tank remain stable once you have worked through your current water parameter challenges. I would only use the back sump compartment for a sponge (if you clean it at least weekly) and any chemical filter media you may want to use, such as carbon or phosphate removers.

You tank is really looking a lot better, great job !!!
    If I add 10 more pounds of rock, I'll be out of interior space. It's only a Biocube 14 and with the rock thats in there now, it only holds about 10 gallons of water. I know you know what you are doing waaaaay more than I do but most things I have read suggest about 1lb of rock per gallon. 20 lbs rock would be double that. I'm not sure how much less water I'll end up with 20lbs of rock.
    This time I'll add only dead rock but I'll be giving up access to any of the sand floor for vacuuming.

0 Not allowed!
    You are correct, my mistake, I keep thinking you have a 29 gallon biocube

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    update for this week. Tank seems stabilized.
    magnesium 1270; Alkalinity 10.2; calcium 400; Phosphate .25; Nitrate 10; Salinity 1.026.
    Went to a different LFS today an purchased a small xenia and a Zoanthid frag. I had some difficulty inderstanding their instructions for dipping them and acclimating them. After going through the process and getting them in the tank, they both look like crap. But I assume they will perk up in a day or two. I swear I think I put them through more trauma and they would have been better off to just acclimate them to the water temp and put them in. But it's done now so we shall see. I'll do pics in a few days when they look better, or when theyre dead :)

0 Not allowed!
    Good job with the tank. Your parameters keep getting better and better

Coral dips can be stressful for corals. It can be worth the risk tho as when it is done right, you can greatly reduce the risk of introducing some real nasty hitch-hikers into your set-up.

I would give to corals a day or two to get used to their new home. I've added corals in the past that took two days before they opened up after I acclimated and dipped them and then another few days before their color looked like it fully returned.