· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Another SW newb- What is this thing - snail or vegitation?

0 Not allowed!
    I put up a full description in the introductions section but I'll put the short story here along with my question:
    My son's friend moved away to Cali and left us his Ocanic Biocube14 with 2 clownfish and a fish I haven't identified yet. He may move back here in a few months to continue college, or never come back. There was quite a bit of hair algae that I've removed a lot of and I did a 5 gal water change yesterday since the nitrates were at 160, ph 7.8, alkalinity 9, calcium 520, salinity 1.024 (prior to the change). Plan to change another 5 gallons in a few days and take a sample back to the LFS to see how we're doing.
    I've always been interested in having a SW tank but never wanted to make an investment and time commitment on one. So this is my chance to see how I like it and if the owner comes back for his tank, I might remove any upgrades I invested in and get my own. (ie: I just bought lights for it, needs a tank heater, and it does not have a protein skimmer.)

My son (20 y/o who lives in an apartment away from me) claims that there were 2 snails in the tank. I thought I saw them, but when vacuuming the tank I decided i was looking at some kind of vegitation floating around. There is another blob that looks a little like these on one of the rocks that seems to be attached. Also there is a bright green in the center that makes me think it's more of a plant than an animal. Could this be a form of candy cane coral? Or is this a snail?
    What is this:

These are the ones attached to the rock
    attached to rock.jpg

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ANd this is one of two that are not connected to anything and I thought were snails. But now I'm thinking they are the same as what is attached to the rocks.
    And if it IS candy cane coral or something like that, can it continue to survive while it isn't attached to anything?
    back wall.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. So th is now confirms my suspicion - there are no snails - there is no clean up crew. Guess I'll get working on a clean up crew when I go to the LFS in a few days.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And yes, they can survive not attached to anything, they just need light and the occasional bit of food. Those are really really hardy corals, and you have some pretty ones there.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae