· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default HELP ! Extreme algae problem

0 Not allowed!
    I am in serious need of help. my tank has been over run with algae that will not go away. I've tried water changed, more co2, less co2, different dosing, less dosing, blackouts. nothing will even seem to touch this stuff. any advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Most likely your phosphates are far too high. Also, maybe your nitrates are a bit high too. These may be an issue (phosphates are always high unless one does near 100% WC daily.) Could be caused by the lighting, too. If the lights are on too long, and/or have the wrong color temperature and/or intensity is too high or low. All these can led to algae issues. Do you use trace minerals? Lack of these or using the wrong ones can cause problems. Hopefully, direct sunlight isn't an issue.

1 Not allowed!
    I'd start at the beginning. How long are the lights on? Is there direct sunlight? What's the current plant feeding regimen like? Any test results?

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, we need the data talldutchie mentioned. Algae in planted tanks occurs when the balance between light and nutrients is out, so we need that information to see where the balance is out and correct it.

Byron.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    its a 25 gallon aquarium. i have two t5 24 watt bulbs that run for about 6 hours a day. one bulb is a 5000k and the other is a 6500k. there is no sunlight getting into the tank either. i dose 1/4 a cap full of regular flourish 2 times a week. im also running a diy co2 system that uses bottles and yeast.

0 Not allowed!
    I may be able to offer a couple suggestions. Firtst issue is the light; two T5 tubes is a lot of light, assuming they are HO. Can you have only one tube on? Some fixtures will work with one of the two tubes, some won't, or some are separately switched. You can't do much about duration, six hours is about minimum, so if one tube cannot be turned off/removed, then the only other option is to have lots of floating plants to shade the lower plants.

I have never used CO2, so won't say much on this, other than many have said that DIY CO2 (yeast and such) can be very sporadic. You might want to consider removing it altogether. The plants in the photos do not need CO2, and removing it would reduce one more factor. It is fairly easy to balance things the simpler they are.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bentleyy111 View Post
    its a 25 gallon aquarium. i have two t5 24 watt bulbs that run for about 6 hours a day. one bulb is a 5000k and the other is a 6500k. there is no sunlight getting into the tank either. i dose 1/4 a cap full of regular flourish 2 times a week. im also running a diy co2 system that uses bottles and yeast.
    That's a load of CO2 and quite a lot of light. Where are your plants getting their nutrients from?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have heard that inconsistencies of CO2 lead to algae more than no CO2 at all. If they are T5NO that should be appropriate. You could try pulling the CO2 and running 3 hours on, 3 off, 3 on, 15 off. Some people have had good luck with this strategy of turning the lights off in the middle of the photoperiod.

Also curious about your substrate. What fish are in the tank? Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate recently?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    You have not posted your nitrate levels - if those are above 10 ppm, your algae problem will remain. Your phosphates will be high and if the nitrates are, nothing you do will stop the algae.