· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Do NOT ever use rain water for an aquarium!!! In most parts of the world that stuff can kill fish because it is polluted! An aquarium is a closed system and rain water will buildup toxic materials from the water in the fish.

0 Not allowed!
    OTOH, we still have tons of misinformed people that chuck salt into a community tank.

I think the key factor is knowing what kind of water you're starting with. If that's RO water then obviously you'll want some salt in the mix. If it's conditioned tap water then it depends on what your tapwater actually is.
    Most successful discus keepers I know have switched to RO water and they add their preferred salt mix to it to bring it up to a certain conductivity value.
    Last edited by talldutchie; 10-07-2013 at 02:01 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet View Post
    Do NOT ever use rain water for an aquarium!!! In most parts of the world that stuff can kill fish because it is polluted! An aquarium is a closed system and rain water will buildup toxic materials from the water in the fish.

I have used rainwater and haven't lost a single fish or shrimp doing so. In fact when I did two of my species bred. So, never is a bit strong, it can be done with a bit of care and common sense.

0 Not allowed!
    The article I posted was a general article on salt that I wrote a couple years ago, not written specifically to answer your question on discus. The article simply states the scientific data on what salt does to fish. I am not going to argue this, it is comparable to arguing that the earth is spherical with someone who believes it is flat. The scientific evidence is there, whether anyone believes it or not, it is still fact.

Talldutchie, you are referring to basic mineral salts in post #12 and there is no argument on that. The initial "salt" mentioned was common sodium salt being added to a freshwater fish tank with soft water fish, and as we all realize this is not wise. Enough said.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah.. My tapwater is a bit high on natrium if it's a very dry summer. More often than not my fish seem a bit listless in that.