PH
    Display 6.5 7.5
    Breeding 5.5 6.5
    Grow-Out 6.8 7.5

Hardness:
    Display 1015 GH, 5-8 KH
    Breeding 1-4 GH, 0-1 KH
    Growing-Out 8-15 GH, 5-8KH

I would avoid buffers/additives when keeping discus; unless, they exceed the ranges above. Discus love good clean consistent water quality, so be careful of even slight fluctuations when performing water changes.

Note: Some PH buffers increase phosphates in your water and promote algae growth.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Discus_Dude; 11-15-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    I'm not always logged in, but if you PM me, I'll get back to you quickly.

0 Not allowed!
    My water has a Gh of 7 and a Kh of 6. I always assumed that it was too hard for Discus. Thanks for clearing that up.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Discus_Dude
    PH
    Display 6.5 7.5
    Breeding 5.5 6.5
    Grow-Out 6.8 7.5

Hardness:
    Display 1015 GH, 5-8 KH
    Breeding 1-4 GH, 0-1 KH
    Growing-Out 8-15 GH, 5-8KH

I would avoid buffers/additives when keeping discus; unless, they exceed the ranges above. Discus love good clean consistent water quality, so be careful of even slight fluctuations when performing water changes.

Note: Some PH buffers increase phosphates in your water and promote algae growth.

Hope this helps!
    I can't understand why my water is reading ph 7.5, Kh 1, Gh 3, I have 7 bare-bottom tanks going into 1 sump, which has alfagrog, sponges and floss. I use a master testkit and ph probe which give the same results. The discus are happy and eating well and 1 pair laid eggs yesterday which are fertile. any ideas where the alkilinity could be coming from? I use RO and tap water which measures 6.6 in my storage bin.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Has the PH been trending up, or was this a sudden change?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man
    Has the PH been trending up, or was this a sudden change?
    This is a sticky, That thread was moved here.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,
    ive just signed up to this forum so apologies if ive posted in the wrong place...

Im starting up a 300L aquarium and am looking at keeping a number of various discus species together, ive done some research and understand that the gH of the water needs to be very soft (1-3gh, at the moment im looking at Gh of 7-9). the research seems to be pointing me in the direction of RO mechanisms and deionisation etc however this is costly and fundage isnt permitting this at the moment. I read about drift wood being able to soften water and i do have a small amount in the tank however, further research led me to a water softener pillow (which i have purchased and is in place in my filter) - my understanding is that it takes out calcium and magnesium in order to make the water softer however it does this by replacing with sodium ions...

this is now where i have questions;

1) is the increase in sodium ions going to be harmful to the discus
    2) is there any other way of making the water softer without RO? (ive read about using distilled water (purchasable from local hardware store) with added dicus minerals - is this a feasible option to RO?

i havent got any fish in the tank at all at the moment as i want to get the water conditions absolutely stable before i introduce any discus.

any help would be greatly appreciated