· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew's_Fish_99 View Post
    I just got back from Petsmart and asked about the lighting, and the filter cartridge. The lighting would be considered low lighting. She said something like a java fern would do well. As for the filter, she said there is very little in the filter cartridge. She has a planted tank and uses the same cartridges I do. I could still cut the charcoal out if that's what you both suggest. With the lighting I'm just going to do plants compatible with my low lighting.
    It probably won't make much difference leaving the carbon. I suspect there isn't much of it, and it will become ineffective in a few weeks (or less, depending upon how much stuff it is adsorbing).

Assuming the LED light is low to moderate, then yes, low-light plants will be fine. Java Fern and Java Moss, Anubias, crypts, pygmy chain sword should all be OK. And of course any floating plant will be fine.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I found a lot of Anubias suggestions for low light aquariums online. I have 2 more questions and then I'll leave you two alone. 1, The fish I had before were guppies, male and females. There were a ton on them from breeding and I just found 4 very small ones that are still in there. I don't expect they'll live long due to all the stress they probably endured. But will they help with cycling? Especially if I try to keep them alive as long as possible? And 2, I found also discovered today that the place a called the other day doesn't even have electric blue rams. They thought I was looking for electric blue cichlids. So I've switched to German blue rams. Can I keep 2 females in one aquarium without males or is that asking for trouble?

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I found a lot of Anubias suggestions for low light aquariums online. I have 2 more questions and then I'll leave you two alone. 1, The fish I had before were guppies, male and females. There were a ton on them from breeding and I just found 4 very small ones that are still in there. I don't expect they'll live long due to all the stress they probably endured. But will they help with cycling? Especially if I try to keep them alive as long as possible? And 2, I found also discovered today that the place a called the other day doesn't even have electric blue rams. They thought I was looking for electric blue cichlids. So I've switched to German blue rams. Can I keep 2 females in one aquarium without males or is that asking for trouble?
    As this is only a 20g tank, I would stay with one ram. The male is more colourful with longer fins, somewhat. A bonded pair for breeding could manage in a 20g.

The guppy will promote cycling a bit, as they will produce ammonia.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Bryon and Imma! Sorry it took me so long to reply. This week has been very hectic, but I have a small Anubias Nana in there and I'm going to get a Java Fern as soon as they get some more in. I've also decided my final stock is going to be 1 German Blue Ram, 6 Emperor Blue Tetras, and 6 Cardinal Tetras. Can't wait to get them all in there and really thinking it's going to look great! Thanks again for your all's help!

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Bryon and Imma! Sorry it took me so long to reply. This week has been very hectic, but I have a small Anubias Nana in there and I'm going to get a Java Fern as soon as they get some more in. I've also decided my final stock is going to be 1 German Blue Ram, 6 Emperor Blue Tetras, and 6 Cardinal Tetras. Can't wait to get them all in there and really thinking it's going to look great! Thanks again for your all's help!
    Sorry if I keep raining on your parade, but after all, we do come here for assistance. I would not include Emperor Tetra in a 20g, they are rather active fish (by comparison to the cardinals and ram) and should have more space. A larger group would be safer too; I have found this fish can get a bit feisty in small spaces and/or small numbers.

A better option would be to increase the cardinals to 8-9 with the ram. Remember though that these are low water fish, meaning they spend their time in the lower half or even lower third of the water column. Finding a peaceful small upper level fish to complement might be good, though floating plants will fill the upper space for you too.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to have the ram, cardinals, and one other schooling tetra. But if that's not possible i completely understand will find something else that is satisfactory. What about black neon tetras? They look very similar and around here have a very peaceful rep. Don't worry about raining on my parade. I appreciate your advice and you obviously are much more experienced than I am!
    I have more (and better) conversations with fish, dogs, and myself than I do with actual people.
    Myself, the fish, and the dogs all agree.

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to have the ram, cardinals, and one other schooling tetra. But if that's not possible i completely understand will find something else that is satisfactory. What about black neon tetras? They look very similar and around here have a very peaceful rep. Don't worry about raining on my parade. I appreciate your advice and you obviously are much more experienced than I am!
    Another shoaling fish is certainly possible with the ram and 7-8 cardinals; it just has to be a good match. Which here means small, obviously, but quiet and peaceful as anything else in cramped quarters will be trouble. And it just dawned on me, you have to keep the higher temperature needed for the ram in mind too. Cardinals are fine with 80-82F, but many tetra are not.

The Black Neon would probably be OK, a group of 6-7. It has the bonus of remaining in the upper half of the tank. Another option is the Rocket Pencilfish, Nannostomus eques--I tend to suggest this fish frequently, but it has considerable merit; unique swimming position (oblique angle), remains near the surface among floating plants, no active swimming, small, very peaceful...a group of 7.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll have to call a local fish store tomorrow. I haven't seen any pencil fish at Petsmart or Petco. I planned on keeping the temperature at about 80. I didn't even think to check the temp for the black neons. The pencil fish are pretty and I think would look good in there with the others. May even have to wait till Tuesday. If I remember correctly the local place is closed on Mondays. As soon as I know if I can even get them here I'll let you know.
    I have more (and better) conversations with fish, dogs, and myself than I do with actual people.
    Myself, the fish, and the dogs all agree.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My LFS does not have the pencilfish. I'm trying to do some research now to see if I can find anything else.

0 Not allowed!
    My LFS does not have the pencilfish. I'm trying to do some research now to see if I can find anything else.
    Some fish seem to be available all the time, but there are many that will only be available at certain times of the year. Pencilfish are such, except for the very common Beckford and you don't want those in this setup. Sometimes a few months can mean you will find the fish you want. Most of these are wild caught, so they may only be available once each year, depending upon seasons. It can be worth the wait to get what you really want and have a nice community in the end.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada