· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Day 11

Once again having issues with Treading Oxygen for Swoop and Slash in the betta bowl, so i've decided to move them in with the others. Currently all 6 are accounted for and living happily together. the smallest, Swoop and Slash, are smart and avoid the bigger triops. Seen them play leap frog over Grimlock who wasn't actually going after them but i guess he was too close for comfort...what with being twice their size.

I find it hard to believe that Grimlock will be 2 weeks old soon. what started out as a hobby i wasn't sure would work out to a full on operation that i plan on continuing. i look forward to the next generation of triops. but that adventure will have to wait until i can get the tank drained and dried. will prolly wait until the last of the 1st gen reaches the end of its life span.

-----
    Buddytrooper
    Do triops not have some part of them that is regularly different across each animal that is distinguishable?
    not that i have seen, they start out pink-skin tone then get darker as they get older. depending on the species they either become green or have marbled skin, some species have spots.

Right now i'm going based on their sizes as they all vary. though it is getting harder to tell as the 10 gal is very oxygenated so they're growing rather rapidly, Sludge and Snarl over night caught up to Slag who is at least a couple days older. Slag and Grimlock are almost the same size, only difference so far is Grimlock is darker in colour. when they all reach full growth i'll take photos of each one for an identification log, that is if they develop different patterns.

-----
    Figuring out Genders

Many triops species have male and female, some can be hermaphrodites, some can be asexual. As of now i'm trying to figure out which of my T. Longicaudatus have male and female differences. supposedly T. Long males are darker with flatter shields. some say males have longer tales but others say T. Longs come in two sizes that have nothing to do with gender.

best way to tell genders is look for the egg sacks that for the male would be their 11th set of legs at the base of their tale. Usually its best to wait until after day 14 to get for sure gender ID. If by day 18 and no egg sacks then they're all prolly males.

for now i'm referring to my brood as males since their name sakes are males, i will out right laugh if it turns out Grimlock is a female because it would be hilarious...at least to me it would. And considering i think i spotted a clump of sand around sticky triop eggs Grimlock just may be a momma to be.

Sticky eggs?
    Triop eggs are small, just as small as grains of sand, but they're also sticky so sand tend to clump around them. they don't actually hatch at all while submerge they need to be dried or water levels are low. Since in Triop natural habitats are typically small puddles or wallows of water that tend to dry up. Triop eggs float when conditioned to hatch. Triops spend alot of time digging so Sand is usually best for substrate, mud works fine also, as well as gravel, they don't really mind, it's just more fun to see their foot prints in sand.

Taken from Wikipedia about the reproduction of T.Longs
    Triops longicaudatus displays several reproductive strategies. Individuals may reproduce sexually, but this is rare, as most populations are highly male- or female-biased. Parthenogenesis (development from unfertilized eggs) is the most common reproductive strategy. Some populations, however, consist of hermaphrodites who fertilize each other. Different populations display different strategies or combinations of strategies, and may therefore, be considered separate species or subspecies in the future.

In females, the eleventh pair of legs is modified into egg sacs, where the eggs are carried for several hours. The eggs are released in batches, have a thick shell, and can stand freezing temperatures as well as drought, enabling the population to survive from one season to the next. The eggs have to dry out completely before being submerged in water again in order to hatch successfully; they may remain in a state of diapause for up to 20 years. These eggs may have helped Triops longicaudatus, as well as other notostracans, to survive the natural disasters that may have killed the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

If you see triops digging in the sand chances are they're laying eggs...or just playing in the sand looking for food.
    -----
    My Living Transformers
    Mirage - 2 yr old - Blue and white Veil Tail, with white frosted fin tips
    The Troops - T. Longicaudatus (Tadpole Shrimp) Second Generation

0 Not allowed!
    Day 12

Feeding time for the triops, with their adult food that came with the kits. fish pellets work great should you run out of the adult food, as well as brine shrimp, algae wafers, carrot (sliver like a peel) and blood worms. freeze dried fish food is great also.

Feeding triops is fun, i wen from not spotting any to tossing in food and seeing them all come out of the wood work. All 6 are accounted for.

Checking out to see if any had any ID spots or marking and i spotted egg sacks on Grimlock. The dinobot king is a mommy.

today i'll be running over to the LFS to see about getting some live food for them.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Grimlock just laid her eggs! it was fascinating seeing her half buried, tail straight up as she dug a pretty big hole in the sand. it may or may not be her first clutch of eggs.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Sad news i guess i wasn't fast enough at blowing air bubbles into the glass bowl with my pipette, but the new hatchling i found a couple days ago died. poor Skar. It's sad i know, but it happens since baby triops are very finicky. As there are no more hatchlings the count remains with the 6 dinobots Grimlock, Slag, Sludge, Snarl, Swoop and Slash. are of which are happily flitting around the 10 gal tank....and scaring me with their molted shells....those things are freaky to see float by. they're like triop ghosts.

molted skins tend to float at the surface if you use a bubbler, if not they just settle on the ground and if the triops are hungry enough they will eat them.

------
    keep in mind it is completely normal to end up with 3 or less adult triops from a batch, i technically used 2 triop kits and ended up with 6. majority of people end up with one from a entire brood, since i had been separating larger triops from smaller ones i manages to increase my survivors count. since from the beginning of all this my goal was to at least have 5 i'm pretty happy with ones i have. My goal for the next generation is to double that number if i can.

but that's a story for another day.

i'm having issues with cloudy water and although it's not a major issue with triops as they're pretty okay with cloudy tanks, i want a nice clean tank to see them all. after asking around in the beginners forum i've settled for trying out a sponge filter, which is said to work well with fish fry and breeder tanks. having other shrimp owners recommending it makes me feel a lil better towards using a filter.

for now i did a water change by pretty much removing 4L of water at a time (same time adding 4L of new spring water...tap water only works if you let it sit for a couple days so the chlorine evaporates or used water treatment) the water is clearer but still lil murky which may just be caused by the bubbler since i use sand for substrate.

as mentioned before i'm no pro so asking others for advice is the best way to getting your triops happy and healthy. i myself am learning as i go.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    I apparently own cameras that take lousy close up photos, so i am unable to make an ID log.

But each of my triops have markings that helps me tell who is who

Grimlock - Single spot at the left side of her tail. (so far only female as i can tell)
    Slag - Solid lateral line along both sides of his tail, larger one on the left.
    Sludge - is speckled along his sheild.
    Snarl - has no markings at all (at least that have developed)
    Swoop - is also solid colour but currently smaller than snarl so i can still tell them apart, Swoop looks to be developing a single white ring around his tail
    Slash - is lightly speckled not as much as Sludge.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 13

the sponge filter is annoying as heck....jsut the way the return pipe is designed. Tank is still cloudy but i might be that i don't have a powerful enough air pump since i originally bought it for a bubbler, it's so low powered that it can't handle a hose splicer. another thing to add to the list for next pay.

Aside from that my triops are happy, healthy, Swoop is a girl...wait whaat? nah i'm kidding i'm not overly surprised. just need to see if i have a tank of all females or if i have a rare co-ed tank.

usually triops tend to be a single gender majority, so having both although not as rare as i make it seem, but are not very common. But the more females there are the more eggs are laid.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 15

sorry for the lack of day 14. Nothing much has changed. the filter sure isn't doing much cleaning as the water is still cloudy if not more so than before. Triops are not very messy creatures so i'm not sure what else to do other than change the water.

Seeing them grown up i can't help but adore them. i don't know why but i think they're adorable. My cat definitely likes them, Triassic Park is her favorite show...wish the picture was a little clearer. It's definitely fun to watch the tank be practically vacant one moment to "Suddenly Triops!" when you toss in food. All 6 are accounted for (though it took a few recounts to make sure...i was stuck at 5 for a while and was like uh-oh who died)

Since they're bigger now i don't have to crush the adult food as much anymore. nothing is more funny or adorable than a Triop skimming around the tank grab a food pellet and fall slowly to the tank floor happily nom on food.

They're like Aquatic mini Horseshoe crab hamsters i swear!

i will try and get some new photos of my babies as soon as i can get the tank water clear. Though i must say the cloudy water kind of gives it the "omg there's something in the mist" look.

may i remind readers that cloudy tank water is fine for triops as long as it isn't stagnant, a bubbler or a low flow filter with a bubble tube works fine. payday isn't til next week so they'll have to hold out until i get a new air pump.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hrm, I'm still curious about the cloudy water. I guess it could either be sand particles or a bacterial bloom. Have you had a chance to test for any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate? Maybe it is a bacterial bloom from excess nitrogenous waste (from feeding poop and whatnot). I wish the sponge had helped more, if it is a bacterial bloom the sponge will help in time.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for asking, its a mix of everything i'm guessing, it was cloudy from sand being caught up in the bubbler originally. water smells a bit so it probably a mix of ammonia, nitrate and what have ya, not to mention food waste, waste and molted shells floating about that i haven't removed (you don't have to they tend to eat them if hungry enough). i have ammonia clear fizz tablets i bought a while back, but i'm leery towards chemicals and my triops...especially the chance of them mistaking a tablet for food.

could also be the spring water i used, might have a high mineral content. but i think it's more my air pump since its the lowest powered pump i could get, since it was originally just for a bubbler and that the sponge filter just need a bit more omph...the air pump isn't powerful enough to run a tube splicer(filter and bubbler) so i just have it powering the filter. its not too bad you can still see into the tank. i'll do a water change tomorrow.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 17

I watch as my triops seem to be having a party after i had changed the water. i replace pretty much 3/4 of the tank water with spring water and swtiched the air pump from the filter to the bubbler so that the remaining gross water was not left stagnant. good thing my local walmart has 4L bottles on for under a buck. would have used tap water and let to sit (so the chlorine would evaporate) but i worked all weekend and my babies need the change now.
    I think right now they're all going "holy crackerbarrel a cold front rolled in" (i didn't let the water sit to reach room temp ^^; tank temp went down by 2 degrees) but its fine the hood lamp can get that water heated up in no time.

Water slightly more clearer, my cat is loving the new lively action my triops are showing. 4 our 5 have egg sacks full of eggs to be laid, they lay hundreds every day at least.

Don't freak out i say 4 out of 5 because all but Slag, the player that he is, are females (F:5, M:1). Slag is the only one that is male, his thorax is actually longer than Grimlock's (whom is the oldest) making Slag the largest even though he's maybe a day or two younger than Grimlock.

If not for the fact that they each have different markings i'd be doubting who was who. Poor Slash had one of her 2 tails nipped off...or it broke of during her last molt.

Slag being the only boy was behaving rather rough, i had to actually remove him from the tank at one point, but i was afraid to leave him alone in the betta bowl in case he died, so after maybe 5 minutes i put him back in the tank. I think he had a "OMG i was just abducted by aliens!" freakout and hasn't acted up too much since...he's at least not jumping on the others (I was afraid he'd eat them, hence the removal)
    -----
    My Living Transformers