· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Day 8 Oct 3

good news and bad

Good news is Grimlock and Slag had gotten bigger, Grimlock especially.

I went out and bought a Volcano(mt wanna-hack-a-loogy anyone?) aquarium bubbler and it takes up most of the tank space, which is fine since triops don't need much and it makes for a great scene piece, as well as a T-rex skull ornament it goes well with my Jaguar skull ornament.

With Grimlock's new growth i've deemed him ready to enter Triassic Park. he's happily digging away in the sand as i type. Another day or so Slag, Sludge and Snarl can join him.

Slag still calls the betta bowl home but he now has Sludge and Snarl for roomies.

Bad news

Swoop died as well as 10 of the hatchlings i had. I think it was mostly water conditions that or there were hungry triops 9prolly the latter for the hatchlings). I have 3 still flitting about in the play pen though and are nearly ready to move to the glass bowl slag sludge and snarl called home. I will name one of the 3, Swoop, as all honestly they all look alike and naming them is merely a formality, Grimlock is the only one you can tell apart and once they all catch up to him in growth i won't be able to tell any of them apart. the remaining 2 will be hence forth known as Slash and Trypticon

Welcome to Triassic Park
    Population: 1, designation: Grimlock
    1385902_10153296957250125_74746925_n.jpg

Grimlock in the corner, all i can think is "digga tunna, dig, dig, digga tunna, dig, digga tunnah, quick before the seekers come"
    1382323_10153296958270125_1203958222_n.jpg

----
    information about large tanks and bubblers.

you can put triops in any size tanks the more you have the bigger i recommend. you don't need filters or really need to change the water. just add fresh water time to time to replace what evaporates. i'f you want to add a little more nutrients, which is recommended for most tanks is some aquatic plants.

I've yet to get some and plan to later on.

As for bubblers you really don't need them but since triops are sensitive to oxygen levels you may need one. if a triop spend most its time upside down at the surface (don't freak out it's not dead, they breath through their feet) then oxygen levels are very low, though they can live in low oxygen habitats i'd recommend getting one anyway. I did because i want to have oxygen rich water in my 10 gal.

plus the more oxygen the quicker they grow.

for algae control, triops will most likely dine on it, but it's not really a big deal maybe clean algae of the glass to keep the glass clear. most sites will say you can add a Golden Apple Snail....but they need their own care and habitat needs during tank dry outs between triop generations. I've also read they eat plants so i'm a lil uncertain with snails. you don't need them but be sure to do your homework should you want to add one to your tank.
    Last edited by SlothimusPrima; 10-04-2013 at 04:29 AM.
    -----
    My Living Transformers
    Mirage - 2 yr old - Blue and white Veil Tail, with white frosted fin tips
    The Troops - T. Longicaudatus (Tadpole Shrimp) Second Generation

0 Not allowed!
    Day 8 Oct 3 Cont'D

I've moved the 3 hatchlings from the playpen to the glass bow, via pipette as they're still small enough to fit and not be injured.

with the extra space and fresh clean water i expect them to grow pretty quickly. 2-3 days and they can join the other dinobots (yes trypticon would be classified as a dinobot even though his name sake is a decepticon titanic fortress/godzilla-ish-dino)

Looked in on Grimlock and the sandy floor is littered with his skitter tracks.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 9

After yesterdays panic attack when Grimlock vanished from his tank. I had my suspicions and shut down the bubbler, and behold my dinobot was inside the volcano....sorry grimmy but that's not autobot headquarter you have to get out of there. It was a chore and a half to get him out of the volcano. he got in there because of a crack from when i had to break a side of the volcano just to get it to fit in the tank, he got in through there. i pushed it closer to the wall now and pressed it deeper into the sand.

fast forward to today....he was in the volcano again! and only way in is through the top of the volcano. so i got him out again......came back 2 hours later again there is no sign of Grimlock.......fine, you win, you can have the volcano. the volcano is becoming a mistake i don't want my triops to be trapped and not be able to feed. i wouldn't even know if any died if they stayed in there...i may replace it later with either a smaller volcano or if the LFS i go to has a new shipment of the T-rex bubblers (the one i wanted someone broke the head off i was so mad :/)

Aside from my battle with Grimlock's stubborness. everything is fine, triops are happy and healthy.

did small water changes for Slag, SLudge and Snarl's betta bowl as they were spending quite some time at the surface. They're on a mix of baby food in the morning and adult food in the afternoon/evening (depending on when i get home from work) Grimlock is now 9 days old and on strict adult food.

Swoop II, Slash and Trypticon are chilling in the glass bowl and are finally old enough for baby food. Its fun having several different life stages of triops from the same kit. And i still have a container of eggs i haven't hatched, and may do so once i've confirmed that i will not be getting any new hatchlings from the first batch.

so far i haven't seen anything in the hatchery for a few days.

Its freaky and fun to be finding molted skins in the tanks, they almost look like triop ghosts. but best thing is if i don't remove them and i fail to give them enough food they will actually eat the shed skins. gross i know but they do that sometimes.

you don't have to take out molted skins from tanks, most do for aesthetics, but they're harmless.

next chance i get i'm going to the LFS and picking up some live bloodworms to feed the adult triops. so far i've been sprinkling adult food in Grimlock's tank so that when he wanders around he'll find food scattered about.

----

don't let my posts fool you i'm no pro, i'm a novice. my biggest worry is not feeding them enough. i fear grimlock doesn't even eat any of the food, he probably does. most my facts i've taken from my research in the care of triops and from my personal experience. chances are i've messed up a bit somewhere but since i still have triops i'm not doing too bad a job considering most kits you only end up with 2-3 adults out of 20-50 eggs and i have 4-7.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 9 Cont'D

The volcano and Grimlock's obsession with it has cause me to stress out a bit. so i removed it. I took the air stone and air hose from the volcano and stuck it in the T-rex skull ornament, bubbles now come out of its eyes and it works better than the volcano because it was too big. that's a waste of 30$...and i broke the volcano so i can't even return it...oh well might turn it into a triop supply holder or something

Grimlock doesn't seem to mind that his volcano is gone, he's happily playing int the bubbles coming out of the t-rex skull. i placed the original deco i had in the tank before the volcano, which was a pile of rocks with a hole (for fish or what not to swim through) and some plastic plants. it looks great. and the makeshift bubbler goes perfect with it all.

I think Grimlock claimed the T-rex as his and nothing is funnier than watching him crawl through its nose. don't think he likes the Jaguar skull much.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day Cont'D....again

Due to the constant treading oxygen, Snarl, Sludge and Slag keep doing i've decided to move them to Triassic park early. hopefully there's enough space that Grimlock won eat them. may give them lil extra food for the night just in case....

IMG026.jpg
    New layout, lots of skittering space and no pesky volcano to hide in and freak me out....Grimlock lives up to his name for being stubborn and rebellious. i can picture what he'd say if he could talk "Me Grimlock, no follow you, me Grimlock own leader"

my friends have said "Your child has behavioral problems"....what do they expect, i'm a single mom with 7 aquatic kids XD

That's Grimlock at the bottom right of the tank. Slag, Snarl and Sludge are in that red cup at the top left
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 10

Triops update

Swoop and Slash had gotten hungry during the night as i had found the half remains of Trypticon. knew it was him as tryp was the smallest of the 3. Guess they didn't like sharing a bowl with a Decepticon.

As it stands the 6 Dinobots remain supreme in their domination.

Grimlock, Slag, Sludge and Snarl are all living happy in the tank. i scatter enough food around the 10 gal so that they'll find something to eat and not each other.

Sunday i should be able to transfer Swoop and Slash with the rest of the gang.

going to be out of town until sunday so i'm going to add lil extra food. maybe i'll pick up some live food for them while i'm away.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Day 11

I have returned from my overnight trip to find all my triops still alive and healthy, all 6 are accounted for. With an added surprise i have in fact found a new hatchling in the hatchery dish. I had spotted this hatchling yesterday morning but was unsure it was still there as i hadn't seen it since. Came home and found not only was there a new baby but it hadn't perished in the hatchery water. i had done a quick mini water change before i left to give it fresh oxygenated water and when i had finished i never saw the baby again.

i'm so happy this lil guy made it through. I think i'll call it Skar after the 7th Dinobot (according to TF wiki there are 8, who knew). Hopefully my other 6 dinobots will be happier to have another Dinobot than when Trypticon was still alive.

another day or so Swoop and Slash can join the others in Triassic Park.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting. How do you actually distinguish your various triops?

0 Not allowed!
    right now they're at various life stages so i know who is who. once they reach full growth your guess will be as good as mine.
    -----
    My Living Transformers

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do triops not have some part of them that is regularly different across each animal that is distinguishable?
    "A room without books is like a body without a soul."