· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquaponics

1. Default Aquaponics

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everybody we are doing this thing at my school called aquaponics it is wear we are going dig up a ditch on the side of the school and fill it with fish and have pipes going from the ditch to a garden like thing and it is going to grow food.So i was put on fish duty (lucky me )because i mentioned my fish tank at home . the fish we are going to have is some Nile Tilapia. The ditch that we are digging is going to be pretty big and are teacher mention that we will be able to keep 20 if not more fish in there.Now some of the question i have are what do tilapia eat?what Ph do they prefer?are they hardy fish?and are they aggressive?the people who are giving the school the fish claim that they will check in every month or 2 which is helpful but a lot of things can happen in a month so i may need a lot of help form you guys.

0 Not allowed!
    Tilapia are ridiculously hardy. They will take any pH that is not extreme and they will eat anything that is remotely edible. They do get very very big though and still are cichlids, so there may be bickering.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well that is great to know and just trying to compare them to a common fish are they like a less aggressive Oscar .

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ever one we have the pond is going to be 300 hundred square feet (15 feet long,5 feet across,and 4 feet deep)so does any one know how many gallons that is?I also gave the option of adding some catfish and crayfish.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    nearly 600 gallons!!!!!!!!! Nice size tank.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh my goodness now lets move on to stocking.I am thinking of 20 tilapa and 10 blue catfish with 15 crayfish and shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    The inverts will be eaten. You will need to make a separate holding net if you want to keep them in the same tank. Tilapia are hardy and can live in a range of water conditions. As for food, tilapia feed is pretty cheap and can be found at most agri shops. You can also grow duckweed as a supplementary food source.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i all ready know about the duck weed they will eat black solider fly larvae as their primary food source .What about crabs ?if they are any that get big enough to live with them ?

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
    Ever one we have the pond is going to be 300 hundred square feet (15 feet long,5 feet across,and 4 feet deep)so does any one know how many gallons that is?I also gave the option of adding some catfish and crayfish.
    That's 2244 gallons.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 10-02-2013 at 11:46 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios
    My Dual 29 gals, finally ready for fish - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras, Tank 2 - Diamond Tetras, Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Baby crabs are relatively soft shelled and will be eaten.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff