· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Rubberlip Pleco isn't eating anything

0 Not allowed!
    Bought a an inch long rubberlip pleco from LFS. There's no algae in my 55 gallon so I've been attempting to feed it algae wafers and it just does not eat it or go near it. Two different types of algae wafers too. . Its stomach is starting to look more and more sucked in. I'm not sure at this point what else to try. I've tried blanched cucumbers already and he doesn't even go near it. There's no driftwood in my tank yet, trying to get it to still soak in in the other tank I have it stored in.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just keep trying with the wafers, cukes and also try zucchini. It sometimes takes them a little while to recognize these as good stuff. Leave them in for at least 24 hrs - just watch that they don't start to rot or fungus.

I feed my bushynose veggies raw, I don't blanch them. Just stick a fork in them and they will sink. he should come around soon. How long have you had him?

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    + to SueD. Keep trying. My bnp won't eat cucs but loves raw zucchini. you might also try some sinking shrimp pellets.

Does he have a place to hide? if not, make him a cave of rocks so he'll feel more comfortable They like their privacy = especially until they get used to their new digs. He may then come out at night to eat.

Is he pooping? If so, he's eating :) Good luck.

Oh - and stick the driftwood in the tank and weight it down with something solid until it's saturated enough to stay down.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 10-01-2013 at 04:59 AM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Regarding the algae wafers, well I've got so many other fish that if he doesn't get to it, they will. Is there anything I can do to make sure he has enough time to figure it out and get to it?

I've had him for about a week and half so far. He does have a place to hide and I've seen him come out more and more often, I believe because he's looking for food. I don't think he's as scared as he was when he was first introduced to the tank as I always see him out from time to time. I'm not even sure if he poops since my gravel is well, gravel and hard to make that out.

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    feed the wafers after you turn the lights out at night. He will find them and the other fish, who are not bottom feeders, will not make as much of an effort to get to them.

Sometimes, if they hang on the side of the tank, you can see them in poo action :o)
    Remember, he's nocturnal. He's probably hanging on the side of the tank at night and cleaning off biofilm which will provide some small source of food for him. he will also hunt for food on the bottom that may be left over.

If you've seen that he's moved around a bit I'd say he's probably doing okay and just getting more comfortable with his new home. I'd still get the driftwood in there whether it's ready to sink or not. As I said, weight it down with something :o0.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    feed the wafers after you turn the lights out at night. He will find them and the other fish, who are not bottom feeders, will not make as much of an effort to get to them.

Sometimes, if they hang on the side of the tank, you can see them in poo action :o)
    Remember, he's nocturnal. He's probably hanging on the side of the tank at night and cleaning off biofilm which will provide some small source of food for him. he will also hunt for food on the bottom that may be left over.

If you've seen that he's moved around a bit I'd say he's probably doing okay and just getting more comfortable with his new home. I'd still get the driftwood in there whether it's ready to sink or not. As I said, weight it down with something :o0.
    Got my malaysian driftwood a few days ago, got it set yesterday after cleaning it up. I see some white stuff on it, not sure what it is. Haven't caught the pleco on it yet however. I saw him going all corners of the glass this morning looking for algae I guess, but did not get on the driftwood at all. I'm guessing it takes 2-3 days for him to realize what it is.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

2 Not allowed!
    Dont sweat the white fuzzy stuff on your driftwood. It will grow for a bit and than faze out. Pleco's like driftwood and some require it to survive, thats why fishmommie was pushing you to get it in there.
    It was mentioned twice before in this thread but I haven't read where you tried a slice of zucchini. My bulldog rubber-lipped pleco loves zucchini. He will guard it from all comers.
    Keep on trying different things and get them in there near lights out as was said earlier. Your pleco will find it's food at night. Just make sure not to leave stuff in there too long as SueD mentioned because it can foul your water.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    Chaetostoma are often kept too warm and in water with not enough oxygen, could this be the case?

If it's still showing feeding issues try the painted rock trick:

Get some egg white and some washed pebbles.
    Crush an algae wafer or two to powder and add a good pinch of flake (about 80% wafer)

Brush the egg white on the pebbles, sprinkle the powder over it and shake off the excess. Dry in a very cool oven (say 65, 70 degrees C) for about 90 minutes. Store in an airtight container.