· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Filter ?

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok just got home and tested my Nitrate i'm at 20ppm. wooo hoooo
    Should I do another water change and if so how much?

Thanks fishmommie you been a big help!!!!
    Dean.

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I think you're good for now. Way to go.
    Keep watching it over the next several weeks. See how long it takes for the nitrates to start building past 20ppm. If your not over feeding you should be able to get by with weekly 50% W/Cs but your tank will tell you. I think your main problem was that you weren't making large enough W/C's.
    Adding the second filter will help a lot as your tank was underfiltered for its size.

Do not be surprised if, a week or so after you add the second filter, your water gets a bit cloudy. That will be a bacterial bloom as BB (beneficial bacteria) starts to colonize on the second filter. It's a good thing and will go away on its own after a few days or a week. i think you'll also see a noticeable decrease in your nitrates once that filter media gets established.

Again, way to stay on top of this
    Last edited by fishmommie; 10-01-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freashfish View Post
    Ok just got home and tested my Nitrate i'm at 20ppm. wooo hoooo
    Should I do another water change and if so how much?

Thanks fishmommie you been a big help!!!!
    Dean.
    Congrats on the 20 ppm!!! I would do another 50% to get it down to 10 ppm. Be sure to vac your gravel, doing only 1/2 at a time. Don't vac all the gravel at once, but do 1/2 this week and 1/2 next week.

And do get that Aqueon water changer! Your weekly water changes (change 40-50% each week) will go much easier. At least once a month (or when your filter outflow is reduced) be sure to fill your 2 gal pitcher with old tank water and use it to gently rinse your filter media.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Congrats on the 20 ppm!!! I would do another 50% to get it down to 10 ppm. Be sure to vac your gravel, doing only 1/2 at a time. Don't vac all the gravel at once, but do 1/2 this week and 1/2 next week.

And do get that Aqueon water changer! Your weekly water changes (change 40-50% each week) will go much easier. At least once a month (or when your filter outflow is reduced) be sure to fill your 2 gal pitcher with old tank water and use it to gently rinse your filter media.
    Thanks as soon as I more funds then I'll get aqueon water changer Thanks again

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok just got back home from petsmart. I tried my other 350 filter and it seemed to must for the fish so I bought a 150 and it seems better. With both it's rated for a tank up to 100 gallons. Hope that wil be enough as my fish we'll be 6 inches and below. I'll have to get the water changer at a latter time so two gallons at a time refill lol.

Thanks for the help once again!

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I did one more 50% water change and got my Nitrate down to 5.0 woooooo hooooooo

Thanks to fishmommie for all her help!!!!