· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation The ever present plague

0 Not allowed!
    Some of you might remember the post I made about some mysterious eggs that seem to be floating on top of the waterline of my tank. Well, I removed almost all of them spare a tiny few I couldn't quite get out. I get up this morning to check on the tank and what do you know, the numbers have eggs have tripped!?! All I have in there is a single male Betta & live plants. I had a cherry shrimp in there to see how he'd go with the Betta but I ended up removing it. How is it they keep reappearing overnight?

0 Not allowed!
    Can you post a clearer photo? I don't think those are snail eggs, at least not the common small snails. Don't try to zoom in too close.

I suppose none of these have "hatched" into anything?
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    Are you sure that the Betta is a male? Bettas can sometimes be tricky and what one thought was a female might turn out to be a male and what looked like a male can be extraodinary female.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll try and post a clearer picture, that was from my phone camera. I'm fairly sure he's male, he has the 'beard' and all, I'll try and get a picture of him too. None of them have hatched as far as I can see.

0 Not allowed!
    That looks like a female to me, but I am not a Betta expert by any means; the fins do not look long enough for a male.

The eggs would appear like Betta eggs, in a nest at the surface on a plant leaf.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That was my first thought too, though I'm no expert.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He's of the plakat variety which are short finned, they're old style bettas. From before all the selective breeding. Only problem is the males & females tend to get mixed up in stores. The eggs were originally on the top of the water attached to the leaves of my Thin Val but once I saw them I gave them a trim. The male is the one to make the nest for the female to lay her eggs in and I obviously do not have 2 bettas so would she still lay eggs without a nest? I just really want them to stop reappearing, they're grossing me out. I might have to contact the website I got him/her from.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This seems to be a rather thorough treatment on betta sexing. http://ausaqua.net/files/sexingbettas001.html

Compare and contrast all these features and see if there is a strong story.

If you really wanted to be sure you could temporarily move him/her and see if the eggs move too. The good news is if she is a she, and they are her eggs, she will probably eat them so you don't have to worry about taking them out.