· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Took your advice and bought the 3rd loach, after adding to my tank....Almost within a few minutes, the big loach and the new loach looked like they were making body contact with each other (mating?) for about 1-2 minutes and their body turned completely gray. Could barely make out that they had any black markings on them and I have never seen the color of fish discolor so quickly and then turned back to normal within a few minutes. Was it mating or was it something else?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, after waking up this morning to check on my tank I saw both loaches that looked like they were nibbling on the driftwood. I've never read that loaches eat driftwood, is this possible or were they just looking for food like they usually do with things on the bottom?

0 Not allowed!
    To your first question (penultimate post), that is normal interaction between males. It is termed "graying out," when the pattern fades like you describe. I see this between two males of my Botia kubotai now and then; not sure if it is the same two males or different ones, as I have five fish. But two will gray out and spend literally hours doing circles head to tail, first clockwise, then counter-clockwise, with one fish leading then the other. This is why one needs a group of such social fish. Three will be better than two, and if you manage to get a few more down the road, even better.

To the second question, I suspect they are picking off tidbits of microscopic food. I am not aware of any actual eating of wood, but loaches, like most catfish including corys, will graze surfaces covered with a biofilm which is sticky and usually contains algae and various microscopic infusoria and such, all of which is food to benthic feeders.

Byron.