· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Yo yo loach care

0 Not allowed!
    I recently upgraded to a 55 gallon from a 20 gallon tank and decided to get yo yo loaches. I had 3, but one seemed to always be the odd one out, always hiding and sometimes came out for food. Well, my bad news is that this one ended up dying and I have no idea why. I've got other types of fish in there and they are doing fine, including guppy fry which are in their own little tank inside of the tank.

My "hiding" places isn't the greatest. I brought over spongebob ornaments from my old tank and they do seem to hide in there sometimes. I got this amazing looking driftwood piece from a guy selling it near his home and it's at the point where all the tannins seem to be gone, but it does not sink, so I haven't been able to use it yet. Right now I've got it soaked in my old 20 gallon tank with a bucket holding it down.

The remaining two, I want to make sure they are alright. One seemed to have grown a lot in size, like got really fattened up while the other one is still skinny. They both seem to be thriving, but rarely do I see them together. My problem is that the skinny one seems to nibble at the hornwort plant I have but whenever I put any food down like blanched cucumber, peas, algae wafers it doesn't even come close to it like the other yo yo does where it gobbles up as much as he can. I do see him eating flakes and freeze dried bloodworms, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of anything else to feed this other guy. I know they thrive better in schools of their type and still waiting for LFS around this area to carry some. Last I checked, one place had only 1 and I'm worried bringing the 3 number will be same mistake. I'm kind of just waiting for at least 3 to be available so I can keep them in a group of 5.

I'll put some pictures of them soon.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, bringing their school up will improve their behavior and schooling tendencies, tho in a tank where they feel safe schooling isn't the rule by any means.

I think the one fella will feed better once you have upped the school - I am guessing that he's not feeding as well because he is being bullied - which is likely what killed the first one too. If one fish is dominant - which there almost always is - then there needs to be enough other fish of that same type in the tank to spread the attention around. Hiding is one sign of bullying, especially for yoyos which are very inquisitive and active fish.

So, in summary, what I'm saying is, its not feeding thats the problem, its the lack of a school which is causing that fellow not to eat. Once you bring up the school to 5 or 6 (the more the merrier) I bet you will see that fellow eat better.

You might try pellet food while waiting for enough stock to come in - at least then the fish would get more concentrated food than what he's getting now. Mine eat anything I put in there basicially, so its just a matter pf providing the best quality you can get easily.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm with sheamurai. Five or six is a good number, once you are able to get them.

One thing I will emphasize though is hiding places. This is crucial to any of the common loach species. And loaches prefer to select their own "home," so it is best to offer lots of choices. Your new chunk of wood will certainly help, but I would get more. I use the dark brown Malaysian Driftwood that seems to be fairly readily available in stores and online. It sinks immediately as it is heavy, so no issues there. Tannins are not too bad, but they are harmless so in time they will clear. Most of this wood has tunnels running through it, and is ideal for loaches. I love to watch my various loaches playing "tag" as they chase one another through these tunnels.

As sheamurai said, don't fuss over fresh veggies, just get them eating some good sinking foods. Mine seem to be very fond of Nutrafin's sinking tablets, also shrimp pellets like Omega One's. I also feed Omega One's Veggie Rounds. Frozen bloodworms are a treat once a week. These will provide all essential nutrients, and once they are eating well and more settled you can try fresh blanched veggies if you like.

Byron.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Makes sense, thanks. Regarding my two loaches, the big one is always very very active moving around everywhere digging into whatever he can both towards the bottom and top. The skinny one I actually see go up the top too poking around everywhere more than he does the bottom. I've feed the freeze dried bloodworms and have seen both of them come up to eat it and as well as flakes. The algae wafers as I've said the fat one eats but the skinny one doesn't even go near it. Well, really hoping for someone to carry the loaches again soon. They seem like really lively and fun creatures, and I want to make sure they live as long as possible.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a video of the two loaches and the other neighbors it has. I'm not sure if I should release the two guppy fry yet with how much of the loaches seem to go around their tank and seem like they want to eat them.

Also, note the red tint on the big loach. Is that normal? He's had this tone for as long as I've had him, but otherwise seems very active.

0 Not allowed!
    You really need some wood in that tank, for the two loaches you now have, but before getting more. I know you have a chunk soaking, and that will help, but a couple more pieces of the Malaysian Driftwood I mentioned is advisable. It has tunnels which loaches really enjoy.

Not sure about the red, maybe someone else can comment.

I doubt the loaches will bother the guppies; loaches are very inquisitive fish, always wanting to get into places (another reason the wood is so good), like the little breeding trap.

Byron.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    You really need some wood in that tank, for the two loaches you now have, but before getting more. I know you have a chunk soaking, and that will help, but a couple more pieces of the Malaysian Driftwood I mentioned is advisable. It has tunnels which loaches really enjoy.

Not sure about the red, maybe someone else can comment.

I doubt the loaches will bother the guppies; loaches are very inquisitive fish, always wanting to get into places (another reason the wood is so good), like the little breeding trap.

Byron.
    Understandable. Tried looking in the common areas just now online petsmart and petco they did not have any "malaysian" driftwood. The type I have right now soaking is cypress driftwood. I have Amazon Prime membership and so I checked there and came across Malaysian driftwood size 14 x 4.8 x 5 inches for $10.73 (no tax + free shipping) - Link: http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-09669-Ma...sian+driftwood

Would you say this is a good deal or should I check my LFS? I know the last 2 I've been in either had driftwood that were really small or at least $30 and up.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by phyl0x View Post
    Understandable. Tried looking in the common areas just now online petsmart and petco they did not have any "malaysian" driftwood. The type I have right now soaking is cypress driftwood. I have Amazon Prime membership and so I checked there and came across Malaysian driftwood size 14 x 4.8 x 5 inches for $10.73 (no tax + free shipping) - Link: http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-09669-Ma...sian+driftwood

Would you say this is a good deal or should I check my LFS? I know the last 2 I've been in either had driftwood that were really small or at least $30 and up.
    That's a decent price, I pay much more here. Unless this is a specific piece being sold, you have no way of knowing what it is like until it arrives. I like buying in the store as I can see what I'm getting. Petsmart here carry this, though not much of it.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So yesterday I had some free time on my hands and checked in 5 different pet places for yo yos and no one's got them in stock as of yet. The one place I know that has it only has 1 which is housed with queen loaches and seems to be hiding most of the time. The driftwood came in and I've rinsed it well and have it set in the tank. Problem is, it's not exactly a place where they can hide. The skinny loach does have a place where it hides though, but I'm wondering if I should just get the last yo yo loach at the pet store to see if it will help the smaller loach. I think both are about the same size if they were put together, so I'd have a trio with the bigger one as the leader of the pack. Or should I just wait it out until there are exactly 3 I can buy, to get a total of 5 in my tank?

0 Not allowed!
    A third would at least avoid one dominant and one getting all the bullying.

Position the wood as best you can so there are spaces under it for the various loaches to get into.

Byron.